BMW F800 Forum banner

What was your first "new" car?

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Elizdad 
#1 ·
My first new car, a 1965 Chevy Corvair . . . . the car Ralph Nader killed.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: TheMeteor
#2 ·
My first brand new car was a Hyundai Excel similar to this, followed by a couple of Sonatas.

My first ever car that I owned was a 1961 Simca Aronde like this.

Reactions: TheMeteor
#3 ·
My first car was a 28 hp, 850cc, two-stroke, 1958 DKW Junior that I bought from a friend in 1963 for $400 and sold two years later for $200. [uhoh] That was the last time I bought a car for the next 20 years. It was all motorcycle riding from then on. [;)]

My first new car was my current 1999 Saturn station wagon.

Attachments

Reactions: Daboo
#4 ·
No pics but my first new car was a 1968 Pontiac Catalina sedan bought shortly before I left my new family and went to Vietnam. My first-bought car was a 1950 Chevy two-door coupe when I turned 16 in 1961. The Chevy only lasted a year or so, and I moved up to a 1958 Impala convertible (sweetest car in my high school). The Pontiac was around for several years after I got back from Vietnam and my wife and I moved all over the US with it.

BTW, I have only owned one "bad" car (a lemon, maybe?) and that was a 1973 Fiat 128 sedan. Everything broke or fell off that car within the first year or so of its life. Couldn't get rid of it soon enough and it is the reason that still today I will not buy anything built by Fiat (and now Chrysler). Irrational I realize, but that is sorta the definition of prejudice. We all have them, that is one of mine.

#7 ·
Also owned a Fiat (Fix it again Tony) in the 70s. Hired an attorney and Fiat bought the car back for what I paid for it. They also paid my attorney and my towing bills. What a nightmare - my only lemon.

#8 ·
My dad had a black 1957 Ford with the big inline six and three on the stalk. He wouldn't let me learn how to drive using that car as he was an insurance agent and was concerned about me getting into a accident and he might be sued for damages and have to make a claim on his insurance policy. But he had no problem if I wanted to buy a motor scooter to get to college as long as I paid for it myself and didn't complain if I crashed and hurt myself or the scooter. While I did crash while going around some mountain road turns, I never did run into anyone else. My attire while riding the 1962 Vespa 125 scooter was all WWII surplus: a fiberglass (?) helmet liner, field jacket, black military gloves lined with wool inserts, combat boots and a mil-spec poncho for when it was raining. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
First car was a '50 Plymouth sedan. Bought in 1965 for $50. I spent my senior year of high school driving Miss Daisy, the 85 year old lady across the street, to the store and to church on Sunday so she would sell me the car when I graduated.
My first New Car was a 1990 Isuzu Trooper. Paid $14700 OTD.

#9 ·
My first car was a hand-me-down Mercedes 190 SL convertible, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. In 1970 I sold it to someone for $600 and bought a brand new Honda N600 (2-cylinder, air-cooled 600cc engine), which was far more reliable and fun to boot. About a year later, I ran into the second owner after I sold the 190 SL. He reported that he damn near got killed when the left front brake cylinder failed on Topanga Canyon Road. I paid $1600 for the Honda, and sold it in 1977 for $1000, with 90,000 trouble free miles on it.

#10 ·
My first new car was a truck. 2004 Chevy Colorado LS Extreme. I special ordered it built to my specs. Took over 3 months to deliver. 5 cylinder with a 5 speed linked to a 3.42 locking differential. It drove like a sporty car as opposed to a truck. I loved it for the 10 years that I owned it. I kept it in showroom condition the whole time. Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#12 ·
My first car was a 1962 Corvair station wagon. If only . . . View attachment 365085
That is a rare bird. I can't recall ever seeing one in the flesh back in the day. All I ever recall seeing was the sedan. Not a bad looking station wagon for that period in time, though.

#15 ·
My second car was a well-used 1962 Ford Falcon. That car had something like 85 HP and it also had a 2-speed automatic transmission. I once drove it to Nevada over I-80 and its speed, flat out on that 65 mph freeway, dropped to only 30 mph. That was the last time I tried that trip in that car and it wasn't long afterward that I bought a 1974 Volvo 144GL to replace it. (A real tank of a car and one that was not a lot faster. :rolleyes: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.