Wrapped Pipes Results? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '84 R80
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I see in some old threads people have mentioned wrapping their exhaust pipes. Can anyone provide feedback on long term results? Has this provided any real advantages, or caused problems? I'm thinking of doing this to reduce engine heat in the cockpit area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    It should help keep heat in the pipe and send it out the exhaust. Whether that's measurable to the rider is likely very subjective. Forum users have demonstrated in the past a wide range of personal experiences on this.

I would say if you like the visual appeal, then there really is no downside.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

Real Name
    Chris
    24 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I picked up one of those Infrared thermometers from Harbor Freight a couple years ago. The frame itself, really holds a lot of heat. I'm sure the exhaust pipes contribute as well, but just having the engine mounted in the frame, is the biggest contributor.

On a lot of those long lonely stretches of the western USA, I've had some time to try figuring the heat "issue" out. As the saying goes, YMMV. So your experience might be different.

On normal riding, the heat comes out of the frame on both sides of the bike equally. Like that, it is warm, but not unbearably so. Especially if wearing actual riding pants, and not blue jeans. But I've found in riding in a strong cross-wind that the cross-wind causes the heat to come out on only one side. And then the heat is noticeable. But then I simply move the downwind leg a little out in the air and all is well again.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. Likesnotacop liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Wearing a good riding pants, like Aerostitch Roadcrafter or the like made the heat a non problem for me.

Real Name
    emlevy
    18 Hours Ago
    I’ve never felt heat coming off my GT. It’s perfectly comfortable until temps reach 95 degrees F or so, but then I’m hot anyway. Even then, there’s nothing unusual about the heat coming off the bike. ATGATT.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Below 80.....comfortable. Approaching 90.........the heat is noticeable and as others have noted, the wind from the side tends to make more heat come out the other side and warm up that leg.

Over 90.........the heat from the engine is pervasive on my bike. The ride to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Days last year really got my attention when the thermometer read 102!

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the heat is radiator related. At cooler temperatures the air coming out of the radiator has not been warmed up a bunch, as the thermostat is limiting the flow of water through the radiator. As temperatures rise the flow of coolant increases and the temperature of the air coming out of the radiator is hotter - and so is my leg! The frame rail is also very hot on those "scorching" days!

I am curious how well the header wrap works - but I have come to believe the majority of the heat is air flow from the radiator......the hotter the air temp the hotter the air coming out the backside of the radiator.

(NOTE: My Honda NT700, air cooled Savage and R1200RT both put less heat on the rider than the F800GT does. My ST1100 was hot when stuck in traffic - but fine while riding).

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '86 750 F1
    Motorcycle
    '78 3 1/2
    Wrapping exhausts originally was intended to improve engine performance. Wrapping the exhaust will likely have no impact on heat in the cockpit area.
    My spoon is too big.