BMW F800 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A worrying trend

15K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  Daboo 
#1 ·
This is a worrying trend - one of our moderators has banned WildWilly for 10days with no reason given (only telling him "you know why"). The same moderator banned Roadpizza recently, ironic really after he himself helped to get Roadpizza reinstated on this Forum last year after a long running technical glitch. Where will it stop? Moderators are not the police so please don't act like you're Storm Troopers.

Lets get to the nitty gritty. I feel recently, certain moderators may have been using their powers maybe because of their own political and religious views might have clouded their response. I may post slightly risque and dubious jokes but I've never as far as I'm aware aimed to insult anyone and nor has Bill, Ox-34 just said it how he saw it. Called free speech.

The "Grown-up section" has 9 named moderators, seven of them, at present, are inactive at least 4 of them have been inactive for between 2 - 5yrs. I do understand many may have health issues which I hope they recover from and fully understand. There are only two moderators, at this moment in time, who are active members and only one of them is a red flagged moderator who has the power of life and death of a post. Surely this cannot be right?

#33 ·
Daboo, when you ban someone, the PMs don't get through. You do understand that, don't you?

If you sent ASK-34 or OX-34 a PM when I couldn't login, how could I read it? I didn't even know I was banned and made it perfectly clear. See my 'whats going on' posts.

When did you say I was banned until 6/27?

#35 · (Edited)
I'm still not seeing where these three members broke the rules, I do see where they have made there political views known, its not enough to make accusations without supporting them with facts, very reminiscent of how Donald Trump runs the country,,!!

Is this about political views, where's the beef,?

#38 ·
If Gunther hadn't pointed it out, I would never have noticed. This seems to be a contraction of "cravarinci in su cunnu". I don't know enough Italian, let alone Sardinian to know for sure, but it sure sounds like a Turkish phrase my roommate taught me in college: "Annenin amına koyun."

#47 ·
[lol] ...the power of google translator…
I don't know the meaning of the turkish sentence, but I can bet it's something similar to the sardinian one, an insult too rough to be translated here.
"su cunnu" can be, and in this case is, meant as a simple exclamation for surprise, anger, or anything else you want. I used that because only sardinians can understand, so it's no offense to anyone.
Should someone come to Italy, be prepared to ear that or something similar in every part of the country.

#39 ·
I've been reading this forum via email updates only after an obviously pro-gun related username I registered a while ago just disappeared. Clearly some mods some have an agenda.

I dont know what's going on in this particular thread, but theres clearly a movement towards a cancel culture over debate with free speech.

It seems anyone's panties getting ruffled is justification for banishment. I dont blame the non US citizens here because they may feel it's for a greater good, but this is a dangerous path we are on in the freest country on earth. I dont care what you say, but I'd defend anyone's right to express any opinion, personal threats and attacks aside.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#40 ·
I've been reading this forum via email updates only after an obviously pro-gun related username I registered a while ago just disappeared. Clearly some mods some have an agenda.

I dont know what's going on in this particular thread, but theres clearly a movement towards a cancel culture over debate with free speech.

It seems anyone's panties getting ruffled is justification for banishment. I dont blame the non US citizens here because they may feel it's for a greater good, but this is a dangerous path we are on in the freest country on earth. I dont care what you say, but I'd defend anyone's right to express any opinion, personal threats and attacks aside.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I believe I am the only moderator left on the forum, along with the two administrators, Chris and Gino. I can tell you that I do not have the power to ban anyone or to change anyone's post. All I have the power to do is to move posts and threads around into another subject area. And also delete spam posts, which leaves a record in the thread, until I manage to dump it into the Trash Can section.

#42 ·
It seems that Covid-19 is creating a little mental stress here, bored people getting unnecessarily excited about what are surely the rules of the game
If we want to play in this pool the rules are there, not to prevent polite banter but to protect the innocent from from offence and sometimes downright rudeness
As a member of another motorcycle forum where such indignity would never be tolerated, I have found writing in this forum to be "wild west" by comparison
The net result, I limit my visits and keep mostly to just reading rather than contributing and I am no prude, just respect other peoples opinions
So - if the rules don't suit, don't blame the poor Administrator or moderator, look within and change - or go find another pool to play in
In my 70 plus years of life I have found motorcycling fun and the people by and large agreeable to talk to, with a few obvious exceptions
Lets all play nice and get back to what this forum was intended to achieve? [:)]

#43 ·
Hi Noel,
Yeah, we should just play nice.
Which side of Brissie are you?
Mt tambourine side, or Mount Mee and Glorious side.

#48 ·
Hi Steve, clearly you know my home turf, yeah I'm from the south side so the hinterland behind the Gold Coast is my natural playground though I have a very good mate living on the north side who regularly wants to go riding over Mt Glorious. All good but these days I take things easy, reaction times no longer what they were and I have no desire to die just yet [:)]
Had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists only 2 weeks ago and 11 days later took the F800ST out for a short ride - not sure it did a lot of good for my clutch hand but got back home safely and my surgeon had said I could so anything that pain would allow. For now at least, I shall wait a bit longer before a next attempt. I belong to the VJMC and own a '69 H1 on which I finished a full resto' only a year ago so that kept me busy in retirement for a while but lately the old body has slowed things down while I get bits re-built and other less desirable things removed.
Enjoy that lovely countryside down in Victoria, I have only ever driven a car through those parts

#44 ·
Freedom of speech, wow, we say freedom of speech, but where did it actually come from. Many centuries ago Good ole King John was ruling England, some of his subjects not the common people who were known as surfs but the Lords with lands were being subjected to taxes among other things, so basically they revolted against the King and had him sign a document which was called the Magnacarta (if I have my spieling correct here). Part of that document was about allowing the Lords and they're tenants and surfs freedom of speech, though the surfs and tenants could not read or indeed write. This is a very small section and hard to find in this document.

So the Idea of free speech was made, however, free speech was and always has been given limits to the laws of certain countries like the USA, France, Germany and many others who have copied this idea of free speech which originated here in England. So remember free speech has its limits, it does not mean what some people may think, though we are limited, this does not mean we are indeed shackled as some may say or imply, these do not appreciate what they have.

We have certain liberties our forebears did not have, we are free from serfdom, free of movement without permission from Lords of the land, here in the UK and the USA and like wise including Australia and New Zealand. All of which have been occupied by the English one way or another, and yes I must also include Ireland North and south as well.

So remember before shouting ones mouth off, there are limits, and we now live in times where those limits are further reduced with over sensitivity, and those who quite frankly do not care and push these boundaries too far.

Remember an old Quote here, "the pen is mightier than the sword" this applies here and anywhere we write words. Words can be hurtful, so much so that it has caused many a young person to take their lives. We are grown up, though sometimes I have my doubts about my self in that regard, but it does not mean to say it does not affect some one. We can put things in way's that has the effect of it implies to someone with shortened words that sound offensive, I have read some of that, and though it did not apply to me, I was not impressed by that person who penned it.

I do not apologise for the ramble

History lesson over

Flook[8D]

#45 ·
Thank God you have that disclaimer at the bottom of your posts. Otherwise someone might think you're serious. [;)][thumb]

Reactions: oxytotl
#46 ·
Steve I can be serious when the need arises. The Magnacarta is a massive document, many copies as well for the Barons and Lords who signed it. It covered many things including land and taxes amount of serfs on ones land etc. The unfortunate thing was this was meant to control a King who was what they thought was out of control as indeed he was. It was a few months later he broke the contract of the Magnacarta and went back on his words, stating he had been forced into signing it. Which of course he was. But England was forever changed by that Contract of the Magnacarta that was signed by the banks of the river Thames at Runnymead.

#49 ·
Born in Maryborough and spent most of my life in gympie and nambour, reverse migrated to Vic in 2011. Hope all goes well with you.

#50 ·
Noel, carpal tunnel on both wrists. I had it done on one wrist backend of 1999/2000 and that was bad enough for going to the dunnie, but both, respect mate, must have an understanding missis.

#53 ·
How times have changed, new procedure, not yet widely adopted where in only a single very small incision is made in the wrist after which only small instruments no larger than a crochet hook are inserted leaving little more than a sticking plaster and dressing over the top to keep it clean(no stitches!) All vision is done with ultrasound displayed on a monitor whilst I watched.
I was told by the surgeon I could go riding on my push bike on day 2 post op, meanwhile nothing was "off limits" but rather only controlled by what pain one may experience. Two weeks and a day later and all I have to show are two dots, one on each wrist to show for $10,300.00 surgery, plus a bit of numbness in one hand. And, no, I looked after my own toilet needs un-aided, thanks for your concern though [:)]

#52 ·
Nah, just the old Farts thread. We're all getting past it. Next we'll be talking about piles and Bowel movements.
Now, come to think of it, I've got an appointment coming up soon about my piles. [:)]

#54 ·
Wow Oldman Noel, my right wrist was heavily bandaged, under that was a long cut with stitches. I could not drive, as use of that hand, which by the way was my right hand[:0][:I], no comments please, oh go on then if you insist. If it was both hands, it would have been oh s**t, can't drop me pants, can't get dressed etc.

Ad you say things have indeed changed, now that just chop your hand off, no more issues[lol2][lol2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.