Headlight bulb - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Robert
    4 Days Ago
    Hi , where can I get a dipped beam headlight bulb for my 2019 F800gt ?
    Other than going to a main dealer . It blew yesterday when out for a ride ..🙄🙄 . First time l have a bulb go for years .

Cheers Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Hi Bob, it's just a standard bulb. H7 I think. Available from any car parts store. I know the dealer charges daft prices for their bulbs but I have to admit they usually last longer than those from the accessories stores. Might be worth considering given the PITA operation to change the bulb.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Nigel
    57 Minutes Ago
    Halfords Euro Car Parts amongst others should be able to help you.

Be careful when replacing as it's pretty easy to break the retainer. There's a few threads about it on this forum.

Ride shiny side up.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Robert
    4 Days Ago
    Ok , thanks l have ordered one from my local dealer , £11+ , l will collect it today .Yes its seems tricky to change the bulb 🙄🙄🙄 . Seen a few U-TUBE videos they might help

Bob

Real Name
    Dave
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    First time changing a headlight bulb on the GT?
    Give yourself plenty of time and dont start the job 5 mins before you need the bike.
    There is a small chance that the retainer clip will break or you'll find a nasty little supprise left by a previous owner
    A little repair/mod may be required that needs a couple of hours to do
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

8. LikesBoxerBits liked this post

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Now that I have done it a few times.....changing the bulb is not much of a challenge. I stand on the left side of the bike and use my left hand. You can't see in there so it is a job done by feeling what is going on.

When I got my bike it was used, and the headlight clip was already broken and the bulb was just laying loose in the headlight without being clipped. I made a little tab from thin aluminum that holds the spring clip securely. The screw is a Phillips or JIS head, so having a holder to get the screw in place was a huge help. If you drop the screw inside the headlight housing I am not sure you would ever get it back!
    https://www.grainger.com/product/2DH...g!438494302481!

Real Name
    Dave
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Drop the screw? Yes you can get it back but.... you'll need to take the headlight off the bike ---- unless you can stand the bike on end and shake it out!!
    Dont laugh .... me and a mate turned a 125 honda upside down to shake out a cylinder head nut from where it had fallen down the cam chain tunnel !! It worked!!

11. LikesRichard230 liked this post

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Try Bosch H7 Longlife bulbs. Claim 3 x life of standard bulb. More expensive but I find they do last longer. Anything that minimises playing with that bulb retainer clip has got to be worth a try. I kept a log of bulb life on previous ST & GT but unfortunately lost it when changing to new GT last year. Have spare ready to fit when factory fit bulb fails.

Real Name
    Robert
    4 Days Ago
    Sorted , after a struggle managed to get the bulb changed . We will see how long its lasts . Last one managed 9000 miles!

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    LOL I just finished my first long trip without having to change the low beam bulb in the rain! Put the bulb in September last year on the way home on a long trip and it is still going 7,000 miles later. IMO the bulb to get is the Suburu spec bub - Osram 64210L the L stands for long life I think. Folks say it is not as bright but less light is more than no light! I ordered two from Amazon and put them in my tank bag. The box for the one left is in sad shape but still living in my tank bag ready for action. Seemed like the bulbs lasted about 6,000 miles or less. First bulb made it 9,000 to 10,000 and the next 2 standard auto parts bulbs made it maybe 6,000 miles each.

Real Name
    Dave
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    The high brightness lamps (+120% to +150%) have a life specification of 200 to 250 hrs or less in some cases.
    The life info is on the packing for decent brands.
    At an average of 30mph thats a life of 6000 miles or so.
    The longlife ones are not as bright but are marked at 350 to 500 hours. So thats 9000 to 15000 miles.
    Quite a difference. As I no longer need to ride at night I use longlife "rough service" lamps. They last very well being spec'd at the 500 hours end of the scale.

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Kinda funny/sad how we used to have lights that lasted for the life of the car......although they were far less powerful and emitted light that was a bit orange by current standards. Motorcycles have always been a bit tougher on bulbs and did need replacement occasionally.

However - I am not going back as the LED lights do provide a lot more light when I need to travel after dark..........and I believe the white light makes the F800GT far more noticeable in the daytime. I have had far fewer incidents of people pulling out in front of me since installing the Cyclops LED headlights.

Real Name
    Richard
    44 Minutes Ago
    My Royal Enfield Bullet has a 35-watt Sylvania sealed-beam auto headlight installed on it, complete with a high an low beam filament. Only $7 at the local auto parts store. Works great as a motorcycle-approaching warning device.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

18. LikesRunmyownlife, PhotoAl liked this post

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    Kinda funny/sad how we used to have lights that lasted for the life of the car......
    The headlight on my 2013 F800GT seems to trigger the head lamp indicator to go on and then off periodically when I ride. So I took it back to the dealer because it was replaced last year (less than 4000 miles of riding). They told me nothing was wrong with the headlight
    ...and wouldn't you know it, the headlight just happened to be working at that very moment. Still having the same issue with head lamp sensor indicator going on and off at times... wondering if something is loose? Anyone else experiencing this? If so, any solutions?

Real Name
    Andrew
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Works great as a motorcycle-approaching warning device.

Exactly!
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

1 Hour Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The headlight on my 2013 F800GT seems to trigger the head lamp indicator to go on and then off periodically when I ride. So I took it back to the dealer because it was replaced last year (less than 4000 miles of riding). They told me nothing was wrong with the headlight
    ...and wouldn't you know it, the headlight just happened to be working at that very moment. Still having the same issue with head lamp sensor indicator going on and off at times... wondering if something is loose? Anyone else experiencing this? If so, any solutions?
    Do you know if the bulb actually goes out when the Lamp Indicator comes on? Do you have any auxiliary lighting? My Denali lights went out and that triggered the Lamp Indicator.

After having experienced two melted sockets on my ‘13 800GT, I spliced-in a tight fitting ceramic socket. I periodically check that the bulb is snug.

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by mantsel View Post
    Do you know if the bulb actually goes out when the Lamp Indicator comes on? Do you have any auxiliary lighting?
    Yes, the bulb does go out. No, I don't have auxiliary lighting. I may have to try your ceramic socket technique... 😉

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I have a pair of aux lights which are run off of a Hex EzCan and turn off when the blinker on the corresponding side is active. I think they are a bit miss aimed and are high but haven't had anyone accidentally pull out in front of me yet. The other day at 30MPH on my scooter a woman in a minivan pulled in front of me - turning out of a side street to her left. I hit my horn and brakes hard. Was able to slow down ok and turned out to not be very close but when she saw me she was sideways in front of me, I could see the panic on her face and for a moment she paused and may have even hit the brakes then went on and I was able to go behind her in my normal travel path. I would have been able to stop with a bit of spare space but still closer than I would like. What made me nervous were the other two cars, one behind her and the other going the opposite direction but wanting to tun onto the street she pulled out of. Side street had a stop I didn't. Always ride with scooter high beam on and a careful eye on my mirrors. at 30 and under scooters (and motorcycles) stop very quickly.

Real Name
    Steve Clarke
    1 Day Ago
    I have a 2013 GT bought new; first bulb blew at 22k miles; 2nd one at 27K; for the 3rd bulb, a friend suggested getting a Hella H7 bulb (Optilux Extreme White XB). Bike now has 62K and the Hella bulb still burning bright. I think it's worth paying a bit more since it can be a PIA to replace the bulb without disturbing that little clip!

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Sclarke View Post
    I have a 2013 GT bought new; first bulb blew at 22k miles; 2nd one at 27K; for the 3rd bulb, a friend suggested getting a Hella H7 bulb (Optilux Extreme White XB). Bike now has 62K and the Hella bulb still burning bright. I think it's worth paying a bit more since it can be a PIA to replace the bulb without disturbing that little clip!
    Thanks for the tip!