BMW F800 Forum banner

Can anyone help re this connector?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Claudio_S 
#1 ·
Looking for some help as I am sure most people here have more knowledge of the GT than I do.

I have a 2013 F800GT that I picked up second hand this year. It has been great to ride but has now point blank refused to start. I have charged the battery and refit it, but still no joy. Appreciate I may well need to pick up a new battery, but first I wonder if anyone can help me identify a connector that is hanging loose near the battery. Just want to check that something important hasn't come detached before I buy a new battery. I can't see anywhere to plug this in, but wondering if anyone knows what it is, and where it should go...

All help gratefully received.

Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Thank you very much - I did wonder whether it was that but then worried that maybe I had disconnected something else that was important when I removed the battery for charging.

Thank you for confirming what it is - very much appreciated.

#6 ·
Absolutely nothing - even though it was charged - but I have had dead batteries before on other bikes that have 'allegedly' charged and then do diddly squat - so I will get a new battery and see if that sorts it.

Thank you very much for your help.

#4 ·
That is the GPS / Sat Nav power connector. When ST & GT models left factory, it was fitted with a protective cap and taped to the +ve battery cable between battery and fairing on right side of bike. I think location was slightly different on GS version. If you are not planning to use it, suggest you protect with tape and secure to battery cable.
For failure to start issue, more info required e.g. are lights and instruments working, does starter crank engine over, can you hear fuel pump run when ignition switched on?

#7 ·
Thanks Chris - a really helpful answer that reassures me that I didn't inadvertently disconnect something when I was getting the battery recharged.

My sense is that the battery is dead as a dodo - so I will pick up a new battery and see if that sorts it. Lights and instruments came on initially but starter did not crank the engine over - switched off and then then lights didn't come in. It does feel reminiscent of previous bikes when the battery has gone beyond the point of redemption.

Thank you for your help - it is very much appreciated.

#8 ·
Steve,

One possibility for your issue (other than the battery) is the starter relay. See my Hall of Wisdom post on this topic.

Before buying a new battery:
1. Check the voltage at the battery (if its significantly under 12 despite being charge up recently, it is likely the culprit).
2. If you have a battery you can use to boost your bike, give that at try. If the bike starts you have your answer.
3. If all the above fail, I would suspect the starter relay (I bought a used one on eBay and it solved my problem).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.