BMW F800 Forum banner

Radar hardwire point

656 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tloubet 
#1 ·
I'm trying to hardwire a Valentine V1 into my 2010 F800ST. I tapped into the red and yellow wire leading to the clip directly over the battery (thinking that was the termination of the Aux Powerlet outlet), and that didn't work. No power at all with the ignition on. I know that the Aux plug would be perfect, but a simple Powerlet-to-Rj11 cable costs $50 for some unknown reason, and on the ST the Powerlet outlet is strangely mounted on the side of the frame where it's basically in direct line with water shooting off the front tire in the rain, so not crazy about that option either.
I'd rather not mess around with the main ignition wire.
So where would you recommend I tie into power, and where should I screw to ground?
Obviously, trying to avoid connecting straight to the battery so I don't need to worry about shutting off the detector when I shut off the bike.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
If not already in use the GPS power socket that all F800 seem to have pre-wired. It's usually taped to the battery main positive cable. There are a lot of threads on this forum with members who have used it to power a fuse block.

PS

Welcome

Reactions: Daboo
#3 ·
Whatever location you use, be sure to use a switched power source. The wires don't need to be huge either. The radar detectors don't pull a lot of current.

Did you get the new version of the V1? I'd be interested in your opinion of how it works. The smartphone app they are using in the new version is a great idea for notifying the rider that they are getting a signal.

Chris

#4 ·
I used the Sat/Nav (GPS) power connector on my '08 for my Garmin GPS. It’s on the right side of the battery.
The three wires are numbered on the end of the connector; 1 - earth (grnd), 2 - VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal), 3 - +12V.
Mine are: Red-yellow +12V Brown ground Blue VSS

Note: the power stay's on for about 15 mins after shutting off the bike.

#5 ·
Success! Thanks so much for your help. I knew about the GPS connector, but couldn't find it. Once you gave the hint that it's connected to the red battery cable, I eventually found it buried underneath the battery tray. Works perfectly.
I do like the new Gen V1. Had many V1's for years, and this definitely has fewer false alarms. Also, at the suggestion of Vortex on youtube, rather than the Valentine app, I'm using JBV1. It's really pretty amazingly powerful, in terms of remembering alarm history and integrating with current info given by other users and the V1 itself. And free!
This setup is really working well:
V1G2
Android Phone
Good quality wired earbuds
SAE to USB adapter on my Battery Tender cable.

That's it. This allows music and Waze directions (and Waze police notifications), and Valentine alarms to all go through the earbuds. No batteries. No charging headsets. No bluetooth transmitters. I can plug my phone into my battery tender for long trips, but typical rides under an hour or two I can just use my phone in my pocket.
For the moment, I haven't bothered with a bar mount for my phone because voice directions are usually enough and I don't really want another gadget cluttering up my bars. I already have the valentine mounted with the clutch bolts and the front brake reservoir mounted on the brake bolts (from the factory), so I'd rather leave it that way. We'll see what I say when I miss a complicated turn, but for now...
Thanks again!

#6 ·
The one thing I struggled with, was getting the notification from my Uniden DFR9. It's made to be mounted in a car, so the voice notifications work really well with a different sound for each band and the Ka band frequency spoken. But that doesn't work well at speed with a helmet and earplugs in.

For awhile I used a BT transmitter that was plugged into the headset jack on the DFR9. That worked well, but it didn't play well with the GPS and the smartphone. I really needed three BT channels in the Sena headset, and it only comes with two BT channels.

I ended up getting Marc Parnes to wire in his LED lights. I can't tell if the warning is a red light camera or LEO with a laser pointed at me, but I do get a warning and it doesn't interfere with the BT any more.

The JBV1 app would work nicely to give me back the audible warning...but I think it only works with Valentine detectors.

Just two quick funny stories. When I was still using the BT transmitter, it connected up with my friend's Sena. We were riding through Bellingham and it was giving him the warnings in his headset. :D The other is I recently bought the new Garmin Zumo XT GPS. It has an accelerometer that tries to determine if you have an accident and will call one of your contacts. Well, there must be some electrical interference broadcasting from that. I found that when I went to pass someone, I'd consistently get a Laser warning on the Uniden DFR9. :D :D :D The first few times, I was freaking out. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and if I'm getting a laser warning, I'm toast already. How do I explain that to the wife???

Chris

#7 ·
Yeah, when I first got laser detection it was fairly wonky, and I'd get false alerts fairly often from sudden sun reflections off oncoming windshields. And not just a simple beep, but a screaming "ALAAAAAARM!!!! YOU'RE DEAD!!!" which was especially thrilling, as you say, when you were in the process of passing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.