Gear Selector potentiometer - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Points: 1,049, Level: 18

    Joined
    May 2020
    Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    Posts
    3 / 0 / 0 / 0
    On my 2013 F800GS the gear indicator became erratic. I hooked the GS911 and get 2 error codes, only one being persistent (10202):

    2 fault codes found:
    10115 Gear position potentiometer
    The fault is currently present.
    10202 Supply voltage (5V) to Gear Selector potentiometer
    The fault is currently present

    Is the 10202 error caused also by a faulty potentiometer, or it means something else?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Richard230's Avatar
    Points: 279,982, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Richard
    Location
    Pacifica, California
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Online
    4 Hours Ago
    Posts
    10,466 / 15 / 698 / 2031
    Could it be that the wire connected to the gear position potentiometer has become disconnected or one of the wiring contacts are corroded and need to be cleaned?
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

  4. #3
    Points: 1,049, Level: 18

    Joined
    May 2020
    Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    Posts
    3 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Could it be that the wire connected to the gear position potentiometer has become disconnected or one of the wiring contacts are corroded and need to be cleaned?
    I have mount today a new potentiometer, cleaned the contacts, but the error is still there ...

  5. Likes Randyjaco liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    Points: 6,751, Level: 57

    Real Name
    Tony Turpin
    Location
    Plymouth UK
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Online
    10-11-20
    Posts
    35 / 0 / 2 / 5
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GS
    Did you clear the fault code with the GS-911?

  8. #5
    Points: 28,217, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Jim
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA.
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    4 Days Ago
    Posts
    2,223 / 0 / 166 / 204
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Apparently the unit is not well sealed and water crossings or use of a pressure washer can cause issues.
    There was a thread here or on ADVRider of a guy disassembling his using contact cleaner and WD-40 on his re-assembling and having good luck.
    Mine is throwing intermittent fault and often tells me I'm still in 5th gear when I am in 6th....

    I'll be getting to it soon....
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train  

  9. #6
    Points: 458, Level: 9

    Real Name
    Giff Plume
    Location
    North Scituate,RI
    Joined
    Dec 2020
    Online
    06-18-21
    Posts
    1 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwooden View Post
    Apparently the unit is not well sealed and water crossings or use of a pressure washer can cause issues.
    There was a thread here or on ADVRider of a guy disassembling his using contact cleaner and WD-40 on his re-assembling and having good luck.
    Mine is throwing intermittent fault and often tells me I'm still in 5th gear when I am in 6th....

    I'll be getting to it soon....
    I have a persistent problem with my gear indicator on my 2017 F800 GS ADV. Basically after running in 6th gear the indicator goes dead. Resets every once in a while, but eventually after coming back goes dead again. Problem coincides with dropping a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. My error codes are 4480,4481 and 4482, with 4482 (“gear selector sensor, implausible signal or value”)being predominant. I replaced the gear indicator potentiometer, but still get the same issues. Anybody out there with a similar issue?

  10. #7
    bmwroadsterca's Avatar
    Points: 13,228, Level: 79

    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Online
    Posts
    386 / 0 / 0 / 7
    Quote Originally Posted by gplume View Post
    I have a persistent problem with my gear indicator on my 2017 F800 GS ADV. Basically after running in 6th gear the indicator goes dead. Resets every once in a while, but eventually after coming back goes dead again. Problem coincides with dropping a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. My error codes are 4480,4481 and 4482, with 4482 (“gear selector sensor, implausible signal or value”)being predominant. I replaced the gear indicator potentiometer, but still get the same issues. Anybody out there with a similar issue?
    This is a known issue on 2017+ bikes when fly by wire and ASC were introduced. For whatever reason the ECU calculates what gear the bike "should" be in using RPM and the speed of the bike and compares that to what the gear indicator says based on the potentiometer reading. If the two don't agree because the secondary ratio has changed from stock you get the symptoms you describe. I have yet to see anyone post a solution.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    guenner's Avatar
    Points: 3,471, Level: 38

    Real Name
    Guenther
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Online
    1 Hour Ago
    Posts
    128 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    Calculating the gear number this way may be off if the sprockets for the chain have been changed.

    /Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft 

  12. #9
    bmwroadsterca's Avatar
    Points: 13,228, Level: 79

    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Online
    Posts
    386 / 0 / 0 / 7
    Quote Originally Posted by guenner View Post
    Calculating the gear number this way may be off if the sprockets for the chain have been changed.

    /Guenther
    Yes. That's what I said.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  13. #10
    guenner's Avatar
    Points: 3,471, Level: 38

    Real Name
    Guenther
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Online
    1 Hour Ago
    Posts
    128 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    the secondary ratio has changed from stock
    Haha, that was too 'abstract' for me.

    /Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft 

  14. Likes bmwroadsterca liked this post
  15. #11
    Points: 629, Level: 12

    Location
    NL
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Online
    07-26-21
    Posts
    1 / 0 / 0 / 0
    I have an F800 GSA from 2017 and changed the final drive ratio. Right after this change, the gear indicator display went blank, including neutral light. The GS911 showed an error that kept coming back after resetting. Now, after ~500km, suddenly the gear indicator started working again! It seems the onboard software recalibrates itself after a while

  16. #12
    Points: 28,217, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Jim
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA.
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    4 Days Ago
    Posts
    2,223 / 0 / 166 / 204
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoud520 View Post
    I have an F800 GSA from 2017 and changed the final drive ratio. Right after this change, the gear indicator display went blank, including neutral light. The GS911 showed an error that kept coming back after resetting. Now, after ~500km, suddenly the gear indicator started working again! It seems the onboard software recalibrates itself after a while
    yeah...
    I have a GS=911 also, and from looking at the "adaptation values" it appears the potentiometer/sensor just sends analog voltages for the positions,
    and the bike figures out what's what ...

    I've tried resetting my "learned" values with the GS-911 which then "coaches" me to start in 1st and then run the bike in each gear for 10 or 20 seconds....
    so the ECU can re-learn ... but ...
    either my ECU rides the short bus,
    or my sensor needs cleaning or replacing...
    as it never consistently registers 6th gear correctly...

    I'm guessing sensor issues ... when I get a chance I'll pop it off see if I can disassemble, clean and re-assemble.

    I think @reaver had some success with that a while back.................
    Last edited by jrwooden; 07-27-21 at 12:27 PM.
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train  

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •