"Dash" Cameras - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Weeks Ago
    Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good dash cam system that has a front and rear camera with a waterproof display?

I have looked at a few brands but they seem either excessively priced ($300-400 AUD) or cheap Ali express quality (no thank you).

I would like something below $200 AUD if possible.

I am looking at the MotoProCam2 however adding SOS button and a memory card (does not come with one by default?) pumps the price up outside my range.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    6 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I have the Halocam M1. Purchased on Amazon over a year ago. Price was @$180 US. In my opinion, it is equivalent to one of the pricier and better known INNOVV K2 dash cams, and at half the cost.

A couple thoughts as you look for a dash camera. You want the DVR portion to be waterproof...but don't think in terms of putting it on your handlebars. For one thing, all you'll see as you watch the waterproof screen, is yourself going into a ditch. The screen is useful only for aiming your cameras. Even in viewing your saved videos, I find it far easier and faster to simply remove the SD card and put it in my laptop.

Here is probably the most important thing to consider. Buy the fastest SD card you can get. Size doesn't matter since the dash camera will "loop" when it fills up and record over the oldest file. I had problems initially because I bought a fast SD card, but it wasn't fast enough. You are recording two video streams plus an audio stream and GPS coordinates.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4. Likesnotacop liked this post

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have a V-SYS brand system. Very inexpensive and works great. They have a bunch of different models based on what you want (resolution, etc). I bought mine from AliExpress, but they also sell them in Amazon and eBay. I'm with Chris in that you don't need a screen or it to be waterproof. I keep the main unit under my seat. They have an app which allows you to connect a phone via built in wifi if you want to see a live stream or saved videos/pics, but I never use it. Instead, I remove the card and save files that way.

I hooked the remote power on/off wire to my GPS lead so it comes on with the key and turns off 30 seconds after key is off with no chance to drain the battery.

Check out a close call I caught with my rear camera. I don't know how he missed me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

6. Likes308bever liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Hour Ago
    I have the Innovv K2 and I tried the Halo, they are not in the same ballpark. By default the Innovv records at a higher bitrate for much better video quality, and there's a guy on their forum that mods the firmware to unlock an even higher bitrate level with the blessing of the Innovv crew. When manufacturers say 1080p, or 720p it's a poor way to describe video quality, it's pretty deceptive. I can record 720p video on my GoPro that is vastly better quality than even a 4k video at low a low bitrate. It may be a little more costly, but if it helps pick up a license plate from some idiot in a hit and run then it's worth way more than the extra cost. Disclaimer, it's not 'great' when compared to non-moto application cameras or action cams like my gopro, but it's one of the best application specific cameras I've found. The Thinkware M1 is probably the best available right now, but I couldn't get over how large the actual camera housings are and I wanted something more subtle.
    Last edited by rcb78; 07-21-20 at 06:23 PM.

9. LikesDaboo liked this post

3 Weeks Ago
    Wow that was a close call, only thing I gotta watch here are Kangaroos but they're only really bad at dusk and dawn.

Thanks for all the responses, you have given me some things to consider, I'll keep shopping around!

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    I've got a GoPro 4 Hero session with a 64Gb card it’s powered off the bike the 64Gb card lasts about 4~5 which is good for most trips out. If you don’t power the GoPro they do about 2 hours or so, easy cheap water-resistance.

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    I have a V-SYS brand system. Very inexpensive and works great. They have a bunch of different models based on what you want (resolution, etc). I bought mine from AliExpress, but they also sell them in Amazon and eBay. I'm with Chris in that you don't need a screen or it to be waterproof. I keep the main unit under my seat. They have an app which allows you to connect a phone via built in wifi if you want to see a live stream or saved videos/pics, but I never use it. Instead, I remove the card and save files that way.

I hooked the remote power on/off wire to my GPS lead so it comes on with the key and turns off 30 seconds after key is off with no chance to drain the battery.

Check out a close call I caught with my rear camera. I don't know how he missed me.

@ccramerusc: what is this “...remote power on/off wire...” you speak about? I’m looking for a place to connect the yellow wire of the innovv k2- a power source that is on when the key is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Andrew
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I have the Halocam M1. Purchased on Amazon over a year ago. Price was @$180 US. In my opinion, it is equivalent to one of the pricier and better known INNOVV K2 dash cams, and at half the cost.

Chris
    Check out some of Chris's pictures.

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...he-Ribbon-2020
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    E30guy,

I use the GPS power wire that is built into all f bikes. It can be found right next to the battery on the right side. It powers up with the key and powers down about 30 seconds after the key is off. That way I know that it won't draw down the battery when parked.

I've also spliced my volt meter into that circuit.all my other accessories are wired through my fuse block to which I use my low beam as the remote turn on. That way ally other accessories are only on when the engine is running.

08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

15. Thankse30guy thanked for this post

Real Name
    Chris
    6 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Andrew, in all fairness I have to point out that the pictures there were taken with the Sena 10C Pro. And yes, they are amazing. That camera is an "action camera" and while it can be used as a "dash" cam, that isn't what it is designed for. It's more of a GoPro competitor.

The Halocam M1 is a true "dash" camera. It's install and forget. In other words, install it, and don't think about it till you get into an accident and need the camera footage. When you start the bike, it starts recording. When you stop the bike, it stops recording when the power is shut off.

You can use the Halocam M1 as an action camera, but it really isn't designed for that purpose. I have mine mounted under the headlight in front. It does give a fun perspective when you watch the recordings. On a helmet cam, when you lean your head doesn't match that lean. But with a dash camera mounted on the bike itself, you get the full amount of the lean.

I was going to post these on the Ride the Ribbon thread, but the forum software limits you to one video per post and I skipped it. When you look at it, keep in mind there's no image stabilization. One thing I find "interesting", is to look at the front fender that you can see at times. It'll give you an idea of how well the front suspension isolates the rest of the bike from road imperfections.

I didn't take this section of road fast. While the pavement itself is in good condition, there's just too much sand, gravel and rocks strewn in the corners...along with a steep dropoff and probably no cell service to call an ambulance.

I think you can look at all the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2_..._as=subscriber

From what I can see, all the dash cameras are becoming "commodity" items. In other words, it means that the difference from one to another is not great. They all use about the same components. They all perform about the same. The only differences being the quality (which you can discern from user reviews) and price.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

17. LikesRunmyownlife liked this post

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    E30guy,

I use the GPS power wire that is built into all f bikes. It can be found right next to the battery on the right side. It powers up with the key and powers down about 30 seconds after the key is off. That way I know that it won't draw down the battery when parked.

I've also spliced my volt meter into that circuit.all my other accessories are wired through my fuse block to which I use my low beam as the remote turn on. That way ally other accessories are only on when the engine is running.

That’s great! I didn’t know about that. I’ll dig that out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk