Heat - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    The-Mick48's Avatar
    Points: 1,861, Level: 26

    Location
    North Shore Massachusett
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    92 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Love the 2015 F800 GT, hate the engine heat. Has anyone tried a different coolant such as Engine Ice ? Any mods at all that mitigate the heat, send it away from the leg area, different programming? I don't think I could ride this across country in hot weather. The RT was great, but very different motor, heavier and did not handel like the GT.
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Runmyownlife's Avatar
    Points: 14,295, Level: 82

    Real Name
    Andrew
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    979 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Some have attempted to strategically redirect the air. (Search the forums.) Others have shifted their left leg a few centimetres outward.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

  4. #3
    Points: 2,488, Level: 32

    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    195 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Lots of experience riding in 95+ (F) temperatures. It's no fun, I've looked it over and thought about lots of fixes but haven't done anything yet. Some have taken the gap between the back of the fairing and the frame and one made some panels to help better direct airflow. My plan is to wrap the exhaust back to under the engine where the two pipes come together. Hopefully this will keep a bit of the heat off of my thighs. Sad part is the heat isn't there when you need it! I took a 6,000 mile road trip in early June and saw temperatures ranging from 99F near Moab UT to 34.7F in the rain going over a pass in Northern Utah. Going over the pass was thinking its a good thing my heated jacket liner is at home and my heated glove liners are in the bottom of my duffle bag. In 2 years I have put 30,000 miles on the bike mostly in the summertime on long trips. Still don't like the heat but just live with it. Nothing like a 550 mile day in 90F degree temps.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    flyrider's Avatar
    Points: 17,471, Level: 91

    Location
    Northwest US
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    Online
    Posts
    955 / 0 / 6 / 192
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    If you ride in hot temps, heat is going to be difficult to avoid. If it's mid-90's, especially on my RR the heat is hard to live with unless you're moving at brisk speeds. I would not want to ride the GT or the RR around urban areas in that kind of heat.

  7. #5
    Noel's Avatar
    Points: 23,319, Level: 100

    Location
    Paradise, CA
    Joined
    Mar 2014
    Online
    3 Days Ago
    Posts
    1,653 / 5 / 14 / 58
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mick48 View Post
    I don't think I could ride this across country in hot weather.
    You're looking at it all wrong. The key is to ride in weather hotter than the air coming off the engine so that air will fill cool in comparison.

    I agree the RT (2014 on) is great in all ways including handling which really shined after I discovered the best tires for it, Conti RA3GT. No better Sport Tourer exists, IMHO of course. I bought it because I didn't cotton to the idea of doing the 10K mile trip we did in 2016 on the F800GT which was cramped for me at 6'4", and it buzzed pretty good past 72mph. I loved F800GT's belt drive, handling was nice, power was decent enough. It would be fun to ride an F800GT again for contrast as it's been over 4y now since I had my '13.

  8. #6
    flyrider's Avatar
    Points: 17,471, Level: 91

    Location
    Northwest US
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    Online
    Posts
    955 / 0 / 6 / 192
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    You're looking at it all wrong. The key is to ride in weather hotter than the air coming off the engine so that air will fill cool in comparison.

    I agree the RT (2014 on) is great in all ways including handling which really shined after I discovered the best tires for it, Conti RA3GT. No better Sport Tourer exists, IMHO of course. I bought it because I didn't cotton to the idea of doing the 10K mile trip we did in 2016 on the F800GT which was cramped for me at 6'4", and it buzzed pretty good past 72mph. I loved F800GT's belt drive, handling was nice, power was decent enough. It would be fun to ride an F800GT again for contrast as it's been over 4y now since I had my '13.
    I want to hear more about the RT...

  9. #7
    Points: 642, Level: 12

    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    9 / 0 / 0 / 0
    The heat is unbearable at times, especially at slow traffic, but When I use my riding pants I don't notice it at all.
    Do you ride with plain jeans or with riding pants?

  10. #8
    Points: 6,865, Level: 57

    Location
    Camp Springs, KY USA
    Joined
    Jan 2019
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    328 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I have found the heat at outdoor temps below 70 is not even noticeable, 80 and you start to feel it - when in the 90's it becomes somewhat bothersome.

    It is my believe that the higher the ambient air temperature - the more heat is coming out the backside of the radiator. The hotter air entering the front of the radiator is not as effective at keeping the engine cool - so the thermostat opens further and pumps more water through the radiator.....and the result is that the air coming out onto your legs/thighs is much hotter when the outdoor temps are high.

    Although I have found the heat to be noticeable and somewhat bothersome - it has never been so severe to keep me off the bike or caused any trauma. Last year when I rode the bike from KY to Alabama for the Barber Vintage days the temps were in the 90's for most of the interstate riding - the dash gauge showed 102 for the last half hour of the trip. It was a real "testicle toaster"!

    If the radiator air can be better redirected it would be helpful - I have wondered if a strip placed over the highest vents could redirect the air under my legs. I do know the frame gets so hot that I need to keep my legs an inch or so away and not "grip" the bike with my legs.

  11. LikesThe-Mick48 liked this post
  12. #9
    Points: 6,624, Level: 56

    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Online
    12 Hours Ago
    Posts
    329 / 0 / 0 / 6
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by diecsatben View Post
    The heat is unbearable at times, especially at slow traffic, but When I use my riding pants I don't notice it at all.
    Do you ride with plain jeans or with riding pants?
    That's the real solution: Wear better pants. This was actually the answer given by the CEO of Motorrad a few years back in a seminar during the annual MOA ride-in, when he was asked from the audience about why didn't BMW "do something about the heat" from their bikes.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST
     

  13. #10
    Richard230's Avatar
    Points: 183,121, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Richard
    Location
    Pacifica, California
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Online
    49 Minutes Ago
    Posts
    9,439 / 15 / 698 / 2031
    In my experience, wearing leather pants blocks much of the heat coming from a radiator, although they are not all that great while walking around off the bike on a hot day.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

  14. #11
    Points: 5,304, Level: 49

    Real Name
    Ken Wright
    Location
    Workington Cumbria
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    682 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    That's the real solution: Wear better pants. This was actually the answer given by the CEO of Motorrad a few years back in a seminar during the annual MOA ride-in, when he was asked from the audience about why didn't BMW "do something about the heat" from their bikes.
    I wear 'proper' riding gear and often with another pair of trousers underneath, but my thighs feel 'poached' on a hot day as my short legs mean I grip the tank with my knees covering the air vents. All i can do on even on a just a fairly warm day is to stick a bit of Gaffer tape over these vents. that helps a lot!

  15. #12
    bembura's Avatar
    Points: 4,337, Level: 44

    Real Name
    Damir
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Online
    3 Hours Ago
    Posts
    77 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Ken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    That's the real solution: Wear better pants. This was actually the answer given by the CEO of Motorrad a few years back in a seminar during the annual MOA ride-in, when he was asked from the audience about why didn't BMW "do something about the heat" from their bikes.
    I wear 'proper' riding gear and often with another pair of trousers underneath, but my thighs feel 'poached' on a hot day as my short legs mean I grip the tank with my knees covering the air vents. All i can do on even on a just a fairly warm day is to stick a bit of Gaffer tape over these vents. that helps a lot!
    +1
    I’m ATGATT and still feel that crazy heat on my thighs when hot outside. Regarding Motorrad CEO, I wear top price BMW pants. So it is either issue with gear or with the bike. Luckily for CEO both are same brand.
    It is not problem on highway since I can move my leg away to let it cool down but the problem is in twisties where I need to grip the bike with my legs. In that situation heat is almost unbearable if outside temp is over 90.

  16. LikesThe-Mick48 liked this post
  17. #13
    Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    IanA's Avatar
    Points: 18,356, Level: 93

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Online
    10 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,397 / 12 / 326 / 820
    Stop me if I am imagining things but my experience with the GT Teste Toasting Syndrome is that it's not consistent. Yes, more noticeable at high ambient temps, but even then not always bad - but when it is bad, bloody awful. I felt I could feel a difference depending on the strength and direction of the local breeze. If the wind was strong and broadside, the agony was definitely greater. Anyone else noticed this? On my last high mileage trip I came very close to resorting to gaffertape or heat shield material under the vents but consideration for all those electronics residing under the "tank" put me off. I did purchase some woven exhaust insulating wrapping tape but have not got round to installing it. Has that worked conclusively for anyone? This little glitch is the only black mark against an otherwise fabulous motorcycle, IMHO.

  18. #14
    Points: 7,391, Level: 60

    Real Name
    Dave Watson
    Location
    Tasmania
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    301 / 0 / 1 / 0
    Ian. you're right in that some riders seem to be really bothered by the heat, while others hardly seem to notice it. Psychological? I'm with you in mostly not noticing it, except in hot strong cross winds, although I wouldn't go as far as agony. As you've probably noticed from where I am, this is only a problem when I'm on the mainland in summer!

  19. LikesIanA liked this post
  20. #15
    The-Mick48's Avatar
    Points: 1,861, Level: 26

    Location
    North Shore Massachusett
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    92 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Stop me if I am imagining things but my experience with the GT Teste Toasting Syndrome is that it's not consistent. Yes, more noticeable at high ambient temps, but even then not always bad - but when it is bad, bloody awful. I felt I could feel a difference depending on the strength and direction of the local breeze. If the wind was strong and broadside, the agony was definitely greater. Anyone else noticed this? On my last high mileage trip I came very close to resorting to gaffertape or heat shield material under the vents but consideration for all those electronics residing under the "tank" put me off. I did purchase some woven exhaust insulating wrapping tape but have not got round to installing it. Has that worked conclusively for anyone? This little glitch is the only black mark against an otherwise fabulous motorcycle, IMHO.
    I would be interested to see if any exhaust pipe wrap makes a difference. Beautiful blue 2105 with all the fixins on it. It has only 5K miles on it, wondering if more miles/break in helps with the heat. Here on the North Shore of Massachusetts it has been hot this Summer.
    " It is so hot… Dick Cheney waterboarded himself."
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

  21. LikesIanA liked this post
  22. #16
    The-Mick48's Avatar
    Points: 1,861, Level: 26

    Location
    North Shore Massachusett
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    92 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    I want to hear more about the RT...
    My 2007 RT had only one issue, the fuel guage sending strip had to be replaced 6 times. I just used the tripmeter. I put 85K on the bike, it is top heavy moving it around. I rode it back and forth across the US 6 times, towing a Unigo. I would consider another on of the same era, but it would have to be the Low-suspension model, with low miles.. I still have the Unigo. Good wind protection, I miss the cruse-control. Easy to maintain.
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

  23. #17
    Points: 287, Level: 5

    Location
    Selah, Wa
    Joined
    Apr 2020
    Online
    1 Minute Ago
    Posts
    34 / 0 / 0 / 0
    i'm softcore to the bone - hence, my cage is my choice when conditions threaten heat, cold, wet, or worse - definitely a fair weather rider ! my TDI handles very well, pulls like a bull, returns mpg's on par with the GT, and keeps my dainty old body comfy -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

  24. #18
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll
    Points: 49,620, Level: 100

    Location
    SoCalif. near Pasadena
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Online
    2 Hours Ago
    Posts
    13,408 / 8 / 110 / 2177
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Some folks never research their question. Since the 800's came out folks have complained about the heat. Those of us that wore proper riding gear didn't have a problem with it.
    Even in 100 plus degrees you won't suffer leg burns if appropriately dressed.
    You may find that you simply don't do well with any level of perceived discomfort.
    Last edited by notacop; 1 Week Ago at 10:49 AM.

  25. #19
    The-Mick48's Avatar
    Points: 1,861, Level: 26

    Location
    North Shore Massachusett
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    92 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Some folks never research their question. Since the 800's came out folks have complained about the heat. Those of us that wore proper riding gear didn't have a problem with it.
    Even in 100 plus degrees you won't suffer leg burns if appropriately dresses.
    You may find that you simply don't do well with any level of perceived discomfort.
    Well, I have been in flashovers in bunker gear, but that would be a bit too much for riding! So what riding pants do you wear? My denim/Kevlar is not cutting it.
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

  26. #20
    Points: 6,624, Level: 56

    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Online
    12 Hours Ago
    Posts
    329 / 0 / 0 / 6
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mick48 View Post
    Well, I have been in flashovers in bunker gear, but that would be a bit too much for riding! So what riding pants do you wear? My denim/Kevlar is not cutting it.
    Aerostich AD1 pants. In hot and cold temps.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST
     

  27. LikesThe-Mick48 liked this post
  28. #21
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 14,196, Level: 82

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    3 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,922 / 2 / 6 / 59
    I’m another who has never experienced a problem or discomfort with heat coming off the engine. ATGATT. No denim or mesh.

    I have a ‘15 RT too. It’s a tough comparison against my ‘13 F800GT. Different horses for different courses.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

  29. #22
    Runmyownlife's Avatar
    Points: 14,295, Level: 82

    Real Name
    Andrew
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    979 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizdad View Post
    i'm softcore to the bone - hence, my cage is my choice when conditions threaten heat, cold, wet, or worse - definitely a fair weather rider ! my TDI handles very well, pulls like a bull, returns mpg's on par with the GT, and keeps my dainty old body comfy -
    Now here's a person who has a clear understanding of what is an issue concerning themselves rather than complaining about everything in the world that doesn't meet their individual needs. Very refreshing!

    Heavy material for the pant material, or an additional layer underneath may help. As Notacop says, you may find that you simply don't do well with any level of perceived discomfort (and your post does allude to this.)
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

  30. Likesnotacop liked this post
  31. #23
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll
    Points: 49,620, Level: 100

    Location
    SoCalif. near Pasadena
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Online
    2 Hours Ago
    Posts
    13,408 / 8 / 110 / 2177
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Aerostitch Roadcrafter pants. My Cycle Gear ADV Explorer suit is OK too. BMW riding pants or jeans allow the heat to flow though too easily. I wear shorts under the Roadcrafter pants.
    Getting a dressed up in ATGATT is a bit of a bother but I simply got used to it.
    Even my G650 Single puts out a fair amount of heat I notice so I wear the heavier over pants. I can open the side pocket zippers and get some air flow. Nothing's as ideal as we make like it to be.

  32. #24
    candymike55's Avatar
    Points: 2,300, Level: 30

    Real Name
    Mike
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Online
    54 Minutes Ago
    Posts
    12 / 0 / 0 / 0
    I was caught in a traffic jam due to road construction returning home from Americade in 2018. I was wearing a pair of jeans with Alpinestars overpants and I thought my thighs were really roasting. When I got home and took both pairs of pants off I had blisters on both thighs. The heat is not too bad as long as you are moving but when you are stopped like I was in that jam WOW!

  33. #25
    Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    IanA's Avatar
    Points: 18,356, Level: 93

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Online
    10 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,397 / 12 / 326 / 820
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Some folks never research their question. Since the 800's came out folks have complained about the heat. Those of us that wore proper riding gear didn't have a problem with it.
    Even in 100 plus degrees you won't suffer leg burns if appropriately dressed.
    You may find that you simply don't do well with any level of perceived discomfort.
    Nota, I found a big difference in the Hotpants Factor between the ST and GT. Rode my ST in all sorts of conditions, up to 108 F with no major problem to the nether regions, just the usual sweaty stuff. The GT, way different. As I said before, not always, but sufficiently often to be literally a PITA. Currently, it looks like it will be anything up to 12months before any of the long distance tours and rallies I like to do get underway again, so I have a bit of time to sort out a strategy. I hope.

  34. #26
    Points: 2,488, Level: 32

    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    195 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I wear TourMaster riding pants. Heat is not so good but not unbearable. It does seem like some bikes have more of an issue than other - speaking of just F800GTs. I have gone thru and tightened up the fairings to minimize clearances for air to go thru. Most of my riding is with a fully loaded bike (sidecars, tank bag and duffle on rear seat) plus the super aerodynamic MadStad windscreen.

    A little off topic but a year ago I had an overheating problem at the end of a long trip. Radiator had so little water in it (yes water - long story but wasn't me) that the cooling fan would not keep it cool yet at 25 or 30 MPH there was enough airflow to keep the temperatures down. That day was 94F and I rode 550 miles at interstate + speeds. My takeaway is the F800GT has a very robust cooling system. I have noticed out west where the speed limits are 80MPH that at 80 to 85 and 95F the engine is dumping a lot of heat off on me. Ive never felt that it was so much that I would get blisters. I slowed down to 75ish only because of fuel economy and didn't want to have to push the bike to a gas station.

  35. #27
    Points: 5,304, Level: 49

    Real Name
    Ken Wright
    Location
    Workington Cumbria
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    682 / 0 / 0 / 0
    For all those who think we sufferers are either not wearing 'proper' riding gear or are delicate flowers, sit on your GT and tell us where your knees are with relation to the air vents, and if you ride gripping the tank or with knees splayed. (I really noted my knee position when deciding whether to buy a tank protector complete with knee pads - my knees aren't near the tank!)

  36. #28
    The-Mick48's Avatar
    Points: 1,861, Level: 26

    Location
    North Shore Massachusett
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    92 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Well, it looks like it's Aerostich Roadcrafter pants, coz I am keeping this bike, Just bought a pair from them, they are even on sale with free shipping. Review next week.

    "you simply don't do well with any level of perceived discomfort (and your post does allude to this.) " Actually, no. I have ridden across the Mojave Desert and my RT temp gauge was reading 118F, It was OK, but not ideal. I just want the best way to ride comfortably. ( and I have been in a structure fire during flashover with bunker gear on, a few times. It's a lot hotter than any motorcycle ride.
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

  37. #29
    bembura's Avatar
    Points: 4,337, Level: 44

    Real Name
    Damir
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Online
    3 Hours Ago
    Posts
    77 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    If Aerostich are the only pants that work for this bike, they should be sold as an accessory. My BMW Enduroguard, otherwise great pants, just don’t block enough of the heat coming from the engine. I agree with previous post, the problem is when you grip the bike with your knees

  38. #30
    Points: 2,749, Level: 33

    Real Name
    Jim
    Location
    Middle Maryland
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    160 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by candymike55 View Post
    I was caught in a traffic jam due to road construction returning home from Americade in 2018. I was wearing a pair of jeans with Alpinestars overpants and I thought my thighs were really roasting. When I got home and took both pairs of pants off I had blisters on both thighs. The heat is not too bad as long as you are moving but when you are stopped like I was in that jam WOW!
    Precisely my experience. I've never noticed the heat while riding (I wear Olympia riding pants), but the one time I was caught in stopped traffic on I-95 it was the frame getting super hot right where my thigh went against it while supporting the bike stopped.

  39. #31
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 14,196, Level: 82

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    3 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,922 / 2 / 6 / 59
    My pants are a 15-year old pair of BMW Streetguard 2’s. Gore-Tex and armored but otherwise nothing fancy. They probably have 100,000 miles on them now, look like hell, but have held up great, never leaked, and never let me down. No heat issues on my F800GT.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

  40. LikesThe-Mick48 liked this post
  41. #32
    Points: 2,488, Level: 32

    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    195 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Ken View Post
    For all those who think we sufferers are either not wearing 'proper' riding gear or are delicate flowers, sit on your GT and tell us where your knees are with relation to the air vents, and if you ride gripping the tank or with knees splayed. (I really noted my knee position when deciding whether to buy a tank protector complete with knee pads - my knees aren't near the tank!)
    Never did I think of Rev Ken as a delicate flower Generally I grip the tank with my knees sometimes loosely. However after roasting my legs for a while I will splay them out to get some cooling breeze. Although either my legs are getting tougher or I'm not noticing the heat as much but seems like it does not put as much heat out as it did when newish. Left on my first long trip at 6,000 miles and now at 30,000 miles. Also wonder about fitment of panels. Mine has been apart a couple of times for valve adjustments. Last service was the best and the heat doesn't seem as bad as before.

  42. LikesThe-Mick48 liked this post
  43. #33
    Points: 3,152, Level: 36

    Real Name
    Mike C
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Joined
    May 2017
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    30 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Im afraid there is only one fool proof answer for the frame heat. I had a huge problem with my F800 GT, living in Australia.

    But it will cost!!

    I have them on my bike and have never had another problem - plus they look absolutely amazing and fit really easily. See the link below - good luck

    https://japan.webike.net/products/20861433.html

  44. #34
    Points: 169, Level: 3

    Joined
    May 2020
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    5 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Riders who complain about heat from the F800GT may never have ridden a BMW K bike. I once had a K75 that was a real thigh cooker. A popular fix with the K1100 was to replace the thermostat with one which opens at a lower temperature.

  45. #35
    Points: 1,532, Level: 23

    Joined
    Aug 2018
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    8 / 0 / 0 / 0
    See thread for additional comments about DIY heat shielding as alternative to carbon fiber bolt-ons from Sasaki Sports Club (SSC).

    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...t=exhaust+wrap

  46. #36
    Points: 5,336, Level: 49

    Real Name
    Steve Clarke
    Location
    Bay Village, OH
    Joined
    May 2013
    Online
    6 Days Ago
    Posts
    9 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Totally agree re: wearing heavy riding pants - Aerostitch AD-1's a great choice. I've had my 2013 GT since new, now with 63K. At first wore mesh pants no base layer and managed to (literally) broil my left inner thigh riding to CO in the heat. Now, with a base layer and the AD's, it's really not an issue for me. The GT's just about the perfect bike for me, will likely look for another once the mileage approaches 100K. Someone mentioned buzzy handlebars - I installed heavier bar ends and that reduced vibration ~50%. Wish it had cruise, use a poor man's version when riding alone in sparse traffic.

  47. #37
    Points: 287, Level: 5

    Location
    Selah, Wa
    Joined
    Apr 2020
    Online
    1 Minute Ago
    Posts
    34 / 0 / 0 / 0
    i'm thinking about replacing the knee pads in my riding jeans with ice packs on these sweltering hot july rides - i'll load up the side cases as needed depending on ride length -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

  48. LikesRunmyownlife, IanA liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •