Hornig LED Tail Light LAMP Error - AdvDepot and Hornig Refuse Warranty - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I purchased an LED tail lamp from Advdepot earlier this season and installed it recently. It works but causes a LAMP error on the CANbus (not supposed to). This is a high quality part ($110) that is advertised to be perfectly adapted for use on the F800GT.

I contacted AdvDepot who wrote:
    "We are no longer a retailer for Hornig,contact Hornig for warranty/support. We are still selling Hornig items from stock from the previous owner of AdvDepot."

I got in touch with Hornig and they were able to conclude I needed a replacement harness/resistor.

Hornig states: "You have to buy the corrective part and pay for shipping from Germany." (cost is around $70).

I write back: "Here is my purchase receipt, wouldn't this be covered under warranty?"

Hornig writes: "Its not covered under warranty because you didn't buy it from us. Contact AdvDepot."

Now here is the maddening bit:
    I've been trying to get even a reply (Phone and Email) from AdvDepot for over 2 weeks without even an acknowledgement from them.
    It seems they are now ignoring my email and voice mails.

I've spent almost $2,000 with AdvDepot over recent years and this is the kind of customer service I get?

Advice to all of you: Don't buy Hornig parts, avoid AdvDepot unless there is a warranty explicitly in writing. Who knows what other suppliers they would refuse warranty on? I've now ordered the harness/fix from Hornig as I don't want a $110 paper weight.
    Last edited by rtully; 1 Week Ago at 08:15 PM.
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

2. Thankscolumbo thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    3 Hours Ago
    That’s unfortunate, but next time you’re unhappy with an online purchase, try requesting a refund from the merchant. If they refuse, file a dispute with your credit card company. You’ll get your money back one way or the other.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

Real Name
    Richard
    39 Minutes Ago
    It is possible that ADVDepot is being affected by the pandemic. I had ordered a couple of small items from Bike Bandit earlier this year and instead of the two days, after 4 weeks the items still hadn't arrived. Contacting their customer service department resulted in no response and their "chat" system didn't work, either. Eventually, I canceled my order and it was never fulfilled. Apparently, they had closed their offices due to orders from the county health officer and it took them a while to finally find a way to open up. Maybe that is what is happening with ADVDepot. That seems to be occurring all over the world with some companies, here and there. Currently this is not a good time to order anything from India. as an example.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Hey Richard, that is a possible explanation except on my initial email they were very responsive to pass the buck to the supplier. Only after I need them to address the lack of warranty do I get silence.

Good customer service MO during the pandemic is to post a notice or do an auto-reply that there ability to respond is compromised/slower. Instead, we get nothing. I'm not ordering anything from them again.
    -------------

4 Hours Ago
    ADVdepot is under new ownership and not the same company it was maybe 6 months ago. So what they are saying is that they bought company along with assets as a package, this is how many companies pass through a bankruptcy. They have to re-establish all their business contacts as though they are starting fresh, this is why they say they are not a reseller.
    Have you considered just buying a new resistor domestically, there's nothing special about them.

Real Name
    Richard
    39 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rtully View Post
    Hey Richard, that is a possible explanation except on my initial email they were very responsive to pass the buck to the supplier. Only after I need them to address the lack of warranty do I get silence.

Good customer service MO during the pandemic is to post a notice or do an auto-reply that there ability to respond is compromised/slower. Instead, we get nothing. I'm not ordering anything from them again.
    I absolutely agree with your comments regarding good customer service. But that was not what Bike Bandit did. They just left me hanging without any explanation and they did the same thing to a friend of mine who also placed an order with them. While I canceled my order and eventually received a refund, he hung in there and received the items that he ordered after about 6 weeks. Shortly before he received his order, Bike Bandit finally sent out an email to all of their customers advising them that they were back in operation again after having their warehouse shut down because of the pandemic. They could have put that explanation on their website but they didn't. I assume that they felt that would have resulted on fewer orders while they were away from the office, causing their customers to look elsewhere for their items - which it would have.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

10. Likescolumbo liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I think it's unfortunate for you and other customers but an insolvency event is especially impactful to employees, creditors and supplies.

You purchased from ADV_OldCo.
    OldCo had a business relationship with Hornig, including warranty service.
    OldCo goes bankrupt.
    All business dealings of OldCo- customers and suppliers cease.
    ADV_NewCo purchases inventory and the name "ADVDepot"
    You make a customer service/warranty request from NewCo.
    You do not have a customer relationship with NewCo.
    NewCo has no business dealings with Hornig.
    If NewCo was to satisfy you, the non-customer, it would be out of goodwill and out of pocket.

Regrettably, you haven't spent $2000 with NewCo, you are a person asking for a freebie. So to are other OldCo customers seeking refunds, exchanges and warranties. It would financially unfeasible to provide free service.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Agreed Andrew.

These were purchased in April from "New Co" (I believe ADV Depot changed hands way before that but maybe I am wrong).

Regardless of my purchase date, they continue to sell stock that they have no relationship with the supplier even today.
    In this case is incumbent upon the retailer to let you know that "these Hornig products are being sold without warranty".

No such notice, information, or awareness appears associated with any of the products.

And why Hornig cares where I bought it as a pre-requisite to honouring a product they make is maddening as well. I didn't buy it used and I have a receipt to prove that but still they take the position to force someone to add 50% of the cost to fix a defective product.
    Last edited by rtully; 1 Week Ago at 08:34 PM.
    -------------

4 Hours Ago
    I think the issue is that warranty laws are different in the US than other countries. If Hornig was a US company, they would have to either take care of you or refer you to a dealer that could.
    Just think about how in other countries you have to have the dealer service your bike to keep your warranty.

Real Name
    James
    17 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    On a side note. I had an issue a few months ago with Hornig over an improperly made Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger. All I can say is they (Hornig) will do everything in their power to pass the buck and not honor anything. I finally had to get PayPal involved and the manufacturer. The Manufacturer stepped up and made a new Hugger and sent it to me at their expense. After 6 weeks of beating my head again the wall with Hornig I will NEVER buy another item from them even if they are the last vendor on earth to have one. I would rather have the part custom made than ever deal with Hornig again! Buyer beware!
    ~James~

15. Likescolumbo liked this post

1 Day Ago
    I too had issues with Hornig. And they in turn said it was up to the manufacturer to resolve them. Seeing this was not going well, I filed a dispute with my credit card company. I gave Hornig and the manufacturer about 3 months to either fix the problem, or take the product back for a full refund. They told me that in order to talk further with me, I had to CANCEL my dispute. If I did that, and things were not resolved, it would be TOO LATE to open a new claim! When it was obvious that neither was going to do anything, I let the credit card company handle it. And guess what? The credit card company never even got a response from either of them! I got all of my money back!

Now with Bike Bandit, I ordered a Triumph part in April or May of this year. I got an email saying the part is on back-order, BUT my credit card had already been charged! I called my local (35mi away) Triumph dealer to check the status of the part, and they said it was on "national back-order" and further research showed it might even be discontinued!! I left a VM for Bike Bandit AND sent numerous emails to them, telling them to CANCEL the order and refund my money. I filed a dispute with the credit card company and my money was refunded. I was able to find the part on eBay in the U.K. for twice as much money, but now at least I have the part installed on my bike! I never heard back from Bike Bandit, and still get emails saying they are trying to get the part!
    2013 BMW F800GT, 2013 Triumph Bonneville, 2017 Honda CTX700D DCT 

17. LikesRichard230 liked this post

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '99 MT
    This makes me so glad I had my local BMW dealership fit the genuine BMW item when they had a "free fitting of accessories during a servide" offer on. I am curious, what was the reason for going aftermarket rather OEM?

I have to agree about Hornig, they want a small fortune for a couple of O rings to fit their enlarged gear lever. But they are the only supplier of "city lids" for my R1250RT so somewhat reluctantly I still purchased from them.

If the NewCo "AdvDepot" are the ones that sold the LED rear light to you, then (in the UK) they are liable to support the product even if the supplier goes bust.
    2014 F 800 GT
    2020 R 1250 RT LE
    1960 SII Land Rover 88" SW, 2010 L322 Range Rover AB (332k miles so far!) 

1 Week Ago
    Hi,

Did you buy the resistor harness? Can you send me a link to that, please? [email protected].

1 Week Ago
    tully:
    This may not solve the problem, but can't hurt to try. Some LED products are polarity-sensitive with the Canbus system. Try changing the polarity of the connections. I had a LED headlight main beam that did not work and threw a Canbus error when connected one way, but worked great and no error when connected other way. Go figure.

4 Hours Ago
    LEDs are always polarity sensitive, the CANbus has nothing to do with it. He also said that the light is working, it's just throwing a LAMP error. LEDs do not work when plugged in backwards. What Hornig said about needing a resistor sounds correct and my suggestion is still to just buy one domestically for a few bucks and call it a day. Ask Hornig for the specs of the resistor and pick one up. If they won't tell you, then hook up an ammeter to the original light and measure the current draw. Do the same for the new light, do a little math and you've got your value.

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I've since confirmed that the tail light was wired correctly and ordered the part from Hornig. They indicated that "this is a know fix" (but yet won't honor any warranty WTF?). Replacing the harness/messing with the installation is not a quick task so I wanted to get the right fix so I don't have any trial and error but I agree, a generic resistor would do the trick.
    -------------

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by swooned View Post
    Hi,

Did you buy the resistor harness? Can you send me a link to that, please? [email protected].
    I contacted Hornig support and they sold me the correct harness. I don't believe it is listed for sale on their site seperately.
    -------------

Real Name
    Roy Rowlett
    1 Hour Ago
    Sierra BMW has an LED tail light on their site and the text says you should have your dealer reprogram the system to recognize it.
    https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/pr...tail-light-kit

4 Hours Ago
    That is the other way to do it. Many of the LED options don't make it to the US, the DOT doesn't seem to like them much. So there is an option in the ZFE to swtich between bulb and leds, same thing for the indicators. The alternative is the resistor which is often MUCH cheaper than paying for an hour time slot with your dealer.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '99 MT
    When I had my BMW OEM LED light cluster fitted by a BMW dealership they also had to install a small BMW loom and if memory serves they also had to "tell" the CANbus system of the new LED light cluster.

If the Hornig unit needs a loom fitting to make their product work at the very least they should say so or better supply the loom with the light cluster.
    2014 F 800 GT
    2020 R 1250 RT LE
    1960 SII Land Rover 88" SW, 2010 L322 Range Rover AB (332k miles so far!) 

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by TJRL View Post

If the Hornig unit needs a loom fitting to make their product work at the very least they should say so or better supply the loom with the light cluster.
    The unit comes with a loom/resistor assembly but mine appears to have either been faulty or the wrong one for the F800GT. Hornig indicated that "this replacement solves the lamp error problem" indicating its a know issue (yet no warranty on a 3 month old part).
    -------------