F800ST doesn't start after a year; check fuel injection? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Days Ago
    I tried to start my F800ST 2007 after a year. Got a new battery. it makes starter noise (no explosion) but does not start. I have tried for several days. What should I do next? Check fuel pump, fuel injector, etc??
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Randy
    15 Hours Ago
    Did you run all the ethanol gas out of the system prior to letting your engine sit up? If not, you're going to have to clean out your fuel system. Does the combustion chamber have gas, spark, and compression?

Randy
    2010 F800ST 

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Yeah, sounds like fuel is your next step. Drain, and fill with good stuff along with some injector cleaner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    Yeah, sounds like fuel is your next step. Drain, and fill with good stuff along with some injector cleaner.

many thanks.
    I could not locate the fuel injectors. The only thing similar are the two plugs at the top left in the attached picture. I would greatly appreciate any input?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	719.1 KB 
ID:	366759  

Those are the coolant temperature and oil pressure sensors. Suggest that you look at the drawings on a parts fiche such as you can find on the Max BMW site in order to locate the injectors.

When you first turn on the key do you hear a sound in the gas tank? The fuel pump should come on momentarily to bring the fuel pressure up.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Randy
    15 Hours Ago
    I'd empty the tank of old gas, add one gallon of fresh gas and a can of Sea Foam. Then try to start the engine each day for @ 30 seconds. This will allow the Sea Foam to soak in. If the engine starts, fill the tank with fresh gas and take a ride (not too far from home ). If the Sea Foam doesn't clean things out, you will probably have to seek professional help.

Randy
    2010 F800ST 

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    When you first turn on the key do you hear a sound in the gas tank? The fuel pump should come on momentarily to bring the fuel pressure up.
    Best to try this with the seat off and everything really quiet. But yes, you should be able to hear a little beep and maybe some pumping sound.

08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by laguy View Post
    many thanks.
    I could not locate the fuel injectors. The only thing similar are the two plugs at the top left in the attached picture. I would greatly appreciate any input?
    Injectors are higher. They are on a rail attached to the intakes. Clear as a bell if you take the air box off.

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    Injectors are higher. They are on a rail attached to the intakes. Clear as a bell if you take the air box off.

thanks very much for great advices. I found the injectors and they seem to be together with the fuel line system; not sure if they can be taken apart from the fuel line tube. I need to figure out how to take out and then send to be cleaned or perhaps replace the whole piece (fuel line, pressure sensor, etc? I assume that I can order from the dealer?

I tried to hear the fuel pump but not sure whether I am listening to the right sound. If the injector operation does not work, fuel pump is next.

I had previously tried the other simple tricks like trying to start for 1 min every day for one week, replacing fuel, etc.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. many thanks

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by laguy View Post
    thanks very much for great advices. I found the injectors and they seem to be together with the fuel line system; not sure if they can be taken apart from the fuel line tube. I need to figure out how to take out and then send to be cleaned or perhaps replace the whole piece (fuel line, pressure sensor, etc? I assume that I can order from the dealer?

I tried to hear the fuel pump but not sure whether I am listening to the right sound. If the injector operation does not work, fuel pump is next.

I had previously tried the other simple tricks like trying to start for 1 min every day for one week, replacing fuel, etc.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. many thanks

The tip of the injectors was very gummy with the old fuel residual. I cleaned them very well and seem to be working fine after the controlled flow battery test. Unfortunately, the bike did not start after the injector work.
    I will focus my attention on the fuel pump. I cannot hear any pumping noise with the seat removed. I have some idea how to remove the pump system out of the tank. is there any particular part of the fuel pump system that I should replace? Any advice? many thanks.

The fuel pump controllers on the early bikes have been a source of problems. It sits atop the tank where the fuel line exits. The early controllers were aluminum coloured and the newer versions are black. In either case it is possible to apply power directly to the fuel pump using a cable to bypass the controller. When the controller is bypassed the pump will run continuously. If the bike starts and runs with the controller bypassed you can rule out the pump and zero in on getting a new controller. If you Google fuel pump controller and F800GS or R1200GS you should get some hits and videos explaining in more detail.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

1 Week Ago
    Take your covid mask off in case it's the BMW facial recognition anti-theft circuit.

()

Sorry. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes . . .

15. Likesdanexmachina liked this post

Real Name
    Roy Rowlett
    15 Hours Ago
    Just had a similar problem with a G650 Xcountry. The pump wouldn't run after the bike sat for too long. I confirmed this by removing the hose from the pump outlet. I removed the pump assembly, took the pump out of this assembly then soaked it overnight in Gunk carb cleaner. Worked a treat. I tested the pump by applying 12 volts directly to it to confirm it was running. Reinstalled and it fired right up. Good luck with yours.

16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 TW200
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr4mo View Post
    Just had a similar problem with a G650 Xcountry. The pump wouldn't run after the bike sat for too long. I confirmed this by removing the hose from the pump outlet. I removed the pump assembly, took the pump out of this assembly then soaked it overnight in Gunk carb cleaner. Worked a treat. I tested the pump by applying 12 volts directly to it to confirm it was running. Reinstalled and it fired right up. Good luck with yours.
    I'm with kr4mo on this. I've dissected a pump from my f650gs and the gas is pumped through the motor for cooling, etc. If it sits and gets gummed up, that means it can be gummy inside the electric motor part, as well, and keep it from turning. Bypassing might be helpful to get some gas pumped through it, but you should pull the pump out and make sure you don't have gummy sludge in the bottom of the tank. If you know anyone with the cable to hook up a diagnostic, you can use it to turn the pump on and off manually.

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'll be honest and say I haven't tried to digest all the technicalities of this thread, but Dan's last post reminded me of something. I let my auxiliary generator sit with gas in it for a couple years. Ugh. I eventually bought a new carburetor for it and it fired right up. My old lawnmower used to have gas issues too, till I started putting a gas stabilizer in it.

One more thing on the idea of fuel pumps being cooled by fuel. I think it was Grand Forks AFB where they blew the wing off a B-52G, and killed everyone in the plane. The fuel pump kept blowing the circuit breaker and the technician kept pushing the circuit breaker in. The fuel pump finally overheated to the point it ignited the remaining fuel in the wing.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Randy
    15 Hours Ago
    Just a point to remember. If you plan to leave any gas powered device unused for over 1 MONTH, and it has been using gasoline with ethanol, you must take some action. You should drain the tank and run the gas out of the carburetor/fuel system. This is particularly true of 2 cycle motors. Yeah, I know you didn't plan on not using it for four months. If there is a possibility of a long period of non use, consider using ethanol free gas or use a gas stabilizer whenever you fill up. In my gas cans for my lawn equipment, I always add a couple of ounces of Seafoam when I fill them because I never know how long that can is going to sit. My neighbors trash piles each Spring have Weed Eaters, etc sitting on them because they left gas in them all Winter. I have never had that problem since I started the Seafoam treatments. It's just a cheap prevention for a potentially expensive future problem. Sorry if you have heard the story before
    Randy
    2010 F800ST 

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
    Just a point to remember. If you plan to leave any gas powered device unused for over 1 MONTH, and it has been using gasoline with ethanol, you must take some action. You should drain the tank and run the gas out of the carburetor/fuel system. This is particularly true of 2 cycle motors. Yeah, I know you didn't plan on not using it for four months. If there is a possibility of a long period of non use, consider using ethanol free gas or use a gas stabilizer whenever you fill up. In my gas cans for my lawn equipment, I always add a couple of ounces of Seafoam when I fill them because I never know how long that can is going to sit. My neighbors trash piles each Spring have Weed Eaters, etc sitting on them because they left gas in them all Winter. I have never had that problem since I started the Seafoam treatments. It's just a cheap prevention for a potentially expensive future problem. Sorry if you have heard the story before
    Randy
    My local Ace Hardware store sells ethanol-free gas in one gallon cans for use in yard equipment. The sell the gas for $25 a can. So I think draining the fuel or using a fuel stabilizer is the better option than trying to source real gasoline, at least in California.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 TW200
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I'll be honest and say I haven't tried to digest all the technicalities of this thread, but Dan's last post reminded me of something. I let my auxiliary generator sit with gas in it for a couple years. Ugh. I eventually bought a new carburetor for it and it fired right up. My old lawnmower used to have gas issues too, till I started putting a gas stabilizer in it.

One more thing on the idea of fuel pumps being cooled by fuel. I think it was Grand Forks AFB where they blew the wing off a B-52G, and killed everyone in the plane. The fuel pump kept blowing the circuit breaker and the technician kept pushing the circuit breaker in. The fuel pump finally overheated to the point it ignited the remaining fuel in the wing.

Chris
    Oh, those were the days, huh? I remember a guy in the Nav who used to check bomb eject circuits by shorting with a screwdriver to see if they sparked...that's 'old school'...