BMW F800 Forum banner

Failure to start

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  308bever 
#1 ·
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but.. I started to go for a ride today and the first time I pushed the start button nothing happened. I was in neutral and was rolling the bike backwards when I tried to start. I switched the key off and next time it started as normal. It has a new battery. Should I be concerned? How many of you guys have the GS911 and is it something I should be considering?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have a GS-911 and like it a lot.
If i didn't already own one, I'd be reading up on this unit to see how the capabilities compare...
https://advrider.com/f/threads/app-review-motoscan-für-bmw-motorrad-the-1000-word-edition.1130770/

To your battery issue, i've occasionally had that problem.
Sometimes I think I just wasn't "mashing" the starter button with "dedication"
Twice now over the life of my bike the GS-911 has reported low system voltage when there was no good reason that I knew of for that to happen...
Once I did have a new-defective battery.

#6 ·
You don't have to, but that is what I have always done with all of my FI BMW motorcycles. I wait until the yellow triangle goes out before hitting the starter button. I also keep the throttle closed when starting. Fortunately, my F650GS goes through its pre-starting checkup very quickly.

#5 ·
Have to? No. Should you? Yes. At least from what I've been told by a BMW dealer. I've certainly started it many times without waiting and everything seemed fine, so I'm not personally convinced it's necessary...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
One other suggestion ...
Make sure all battery connections are clean and tight, as well as connections @ starter relay (under left side cowling), hot lead at starter.

Reactions: tnfiddler
#9 ·
Efin8r, where is the best place to buy a handlebar switch. It failed to start a couple of times this morning, but turning key off and on it fired right up. I started to disassemble tonight thinking I might be able to clean any contacts but I need a smaller torx

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.