MRA x-creen revisited - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    For anyone who has successfully used the MRA X-creen on their GT, I'm curious which height and angle position you found most effective. I've fiddled with this, and while I find a position that seems effective, my compulsive nature forces me to try to improve on that by changing it some more. In the end, I forget where I started and take it off. But I think it is helpful and don't want to give up!

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    I just went out to the garage and played around with X-creen positions, during which process I realized what a dumb question I'd asked. There's no way to know without more experimentation.

So no need to answer. I'll be back if I can find something good here. All this bike needs is some diffusion of the wind, I think, not necessarily a higher, wider or technically complicated solution.

Windscreen threads for the GT are like soap operas...you could leave them for 5 years, come back and the plot will have changed not one iota.

4. LikesIanA liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    ...All this bike needs is some diffusion of the wind, I think, not necessarily a higher, wider or technically complicated solution. ...
    So you're saying you want to make it work like a Madstad works?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madstad.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	366865
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    So you're saying you want to make it work like a Madstad works?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madstad.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	366865
    Exactly! Except without the Madstad.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    "DIVIDE, AND CONQUER"

Just back from a test of the MRA X-creen, performed with a different concept in mind. Wind problems on bikes like the GT seem to center around the turbulence created by the windscreen. In doing some reading, I came to the conclusion that I was approaching the solution to the problem of turbulence from the wrong perspective. I was trying to eliminate wind noise, when that (in reality) is not possible, unless you're in a car (even then you can still hear some noise), or behind a mammoth windscreen that blocks the wind. The problem with blocking the wind is...it gets HOT! That's why I couldn't use the Madstad...it did a good job of blocking wind, but even with the flow underneath it, the Madstad cooked me.

I mounted the MRA and went for a ride, with the idea that no longer was I trying to eliminate wind noise by blocking it, but - rather - I was going to "diffuse" the wind coming into and over the stock windscreen. By diffusing it, I was attempting to "break up" the wind into smaller (force-wise) components, reasoning that if the wind force is LESS, the turbulence would also be less. After trying a few settings, I really got into the diffusion idea and hit on a setting that not only divided the wind striking the windscreen(s), but it allowed plenty of airflow. The clue that I'd hit the "sweet spot" was when I realized my shoulders were no longer tense and my whole body was relaxed; I can tell you...this was never the case before.

With the setting that worked, I tried various speeds...60-70 (prime cruising speed), 80 and 90 mph. The turbulent buffeting was virtually eliminated. I heard the wind, but it was a soft flow, like a smooth sine wave, unlike with the OEM screen alone, which created what I'd call a "sawtooth" noise pattern...very fatiguing and causing much body tension, to say nothing of headaches!

The MRA X-creen might look a little odd on the bike but it doesn't ruin the aesthetics at all, to my mind; the bottom line, though, is...does it work? For me...oh,yeah.

I have the clamp-on, tinted, "Sport" version of the MRA. It looks quite good with the tinted OEM windscreen.

Happy days...

EDIT: Adding some photos of the installed MRA, and a comment: I still think the VStream "Sport" windscreen is a better screen than the OEM, but while it altered the wind flow and improved the noise situation, it didn't eliminate the turbulent buffeting entirely. That's where the MRA seems a better solution - the elimination of the fatiguing turbulence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2578 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	366869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2579 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	366873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2580 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	366875  
    Last edited by flyrider; 1 Week Ago at 07:15 PM. Reason: Add photos

18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I have learned to live with the noise by the use of good earplugs.....and either the MRA or Puig deflector on either the stock windshield or the Ermax Sport screen. The deflector does smooth out the airflow, and with my deflector mounted at the tallest position it moves the air from neck level up to my eye level. (On really hot days at slow speeds I can adjust the deflector to blow air down onto my shoulders to keep me a bit cooler).

I will have to try your lower position and see if it works better than what I am currently doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5479.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	366879  

10. Likesflyrider liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    I have learned to live with the noise by the use of good earplugs.....and either the MRA or Puig deflector on either the stock windshield or the Ermax Sport screen. The deflector does smooth out the airflow, and with my deflector mounted at the tallest position it moves the air from neck level up to my eye level. (On really hot days at slow speeds I can adjust the deflector to blow air down onto my shoulders to keep me a bit cooler).

I will have to try your lower position and see if it works better than what I am currently doing.
    I've tried the deflector in a high position and find it only increases turbulence. That's why I started looking at whether a different approach might work...diffusing, rather than deflecting, the wind. It seems to be the case...

6 Days Ago
    I have the Madstad 20" screen. I'm 5'6". My GT came with the OEM screen and I took an X-Creen Tour with me when I picked the bike up 350 miles from my home. Try as I might, I could not find a suitable setting for high-speed riding on that ride home.

I played with lots of settings on the Madstad, but still got helmet buffeting at high speeds, and lots of heat. I decided to lower the screen and add the X-creen. After some experimentation, I'm satisfied. The only thing I might change is the make it a bolt-on instead of clamp on. I have the X-creen on several other bikes. I'm a believer.
    2013 BMW F800GT, 2013 Triumph Bonneville, 2017 Honda CTX700D DCT 

13. LikesDaboo, flyrider liked this post

Real Name
    Adrian
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Interesting, I have the same screen set up, though clear screen (wonder if that makes a difference ). Mine still creates a lot of noise. Anyway, I’ve not tried mine at the same angle, think I’ll give this a go and see how it goes

Thanks for posting the photos

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Interesting, I have the same screen set up, though clear screen (wonder if that makes a difference ). Mine still creates a lot of noise. Anyway, I’ve not tried mine at the same angle, think I’ll give this a go and see how it goes

Thanks for posting the photos
    I previously had installed the MRA and gave up on it...twice. I kept approaching it from the perspective that I needed to get the air "over" my helmet, and to do that the MRA had to be higher. When I realized that diffusing the air flow might lessen the turbulence, I re-installed the MRA and set it as you see in the photos. I did try a number of combinations and always came back to what you see. If you think about how the air hits the screen, you can see that the way I have it divides the airflow...the bulk hits the OEM screen, but at the top portion of the screen, the MRA intercepts the air before it hits the main screen and sends it a bit higher, while air hitting the OEM screen flows under the MRA and does just what a Madstad does...

You mentioned the angle...that is crucial in my opinion. If you look at the side photo shot, you can see the angle of the MRA is the same as the angle of the OEM screen. If I set the MRA even a little more upright, the noise increases.

The key realization I had was that the issue common to the OEM screen is turbulence, not wind noise, per se. With the wind divided (diffused) the force of the wind coming over the screen(s) is lessened and turbulence minimized. I still hear wind, but now I don't have that awful chaotic noise caused by turbulence. I still need earplugs (custom), but as I said in a prior post, the proof that this was an improvement was the relaxtion I felt while riding. Before this set-up, I was always tense in the shoulders...and everywhere...due the discordant noise. Now? Not so much!