Please save my butt - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

08-02-20
    I am a new rider of an 2007 f800st and I find the seat very uncomfortable. I am looking for a good replacement but I really don't want to shell out $570+ for the Saddlemen Adventure Track Seat I saw reviewed on here. Does anyone have suggestions? I live in northern California.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Get an Air Hawk. It's been saving my Butt since I got one in 2008 for the ST. I get mine used from forums or E-bay kinda stuff.
    I've done 1000 mile days sitting on one so they can be a benefit.

4. LikesDaboo liked this post

08-02-20
    I am not sure about adding a pad. I was thinking of replacing the seat. I worry the pad will either spoil the look or slide around.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    I've rode with folks who swear by sheep wool or air hawk type pads. Seems okay looking to me, just like any other rider specific accessories. A buddy wears bike shorts under his riding gear. They have padding on the tailbone, seat area. He claims they are cooler and comfortable on long trips. I just stand up.

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezbin View Post
    I am not sure about adding a pad. I was thinking of replacing the seat. I worry the pad will either spoil the look or slide around.
    I'm trying to figure out how you can see the "look" while riding...

Add another vote for the Airhawk. I've used mine so much that I had to add iron-on patches to the front corners of the cover. And I've had to patch holes in it twice now. That doesn't mean it is made in a poor quality way. It simply a way of saying that I won't ride long distances without it. And if it gets to the point where it wears out...I'll buy another gladly. It's been that good. It transforms my bike from being good for only a short couple hours to all-day comfortable.

The Airhawk has two straps on it to hold it on the seat. So you don't have to worry about it "slide around". In fact, you can adjust it while riding to move it forward or back. It changes the pressure on the rear and gives you a couple more hours.

The "secret" to the Airhawk it to let out the air till you feel you might've let out too much...then let out some more. You want only enough air to get you maybe a quarter inch off the seat. Any more than that will have you both rolling around on a balloon, and it'll feel like a rock in less than an hour.

I also have a BeadRider seat cushion. That worked extremely well on a previous bike, but not on my F800GT. The seats are shaped different.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Fezbin, you said you are a new rider on your F800ST and that is a clue. I suggest you simply ride more and let your butt break itself in to the bike saddle. Lots cheaper than experimenting with after-market seats and the end result might be the perfect solution for you. If, after a few thousand miles, you still can't be comfortable on the seat ... well, you've given it a fair shot. Additionally, I also vote in favor of both Airhawk and BeadRider. I have used both on previous bikes with good results. Both Airhawk and BeadRider, for me at least, were temporary fixes when I went touring on a bike that was new to me. After the first day of touring I pulled the seat cover out of my bag and strapped it onto the bike. By the time I got home a week or so later, the seat cover came off and I continued to ride both bikes for years afterward on the stock saddle.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

10. Likes308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I agree with the others about the add-on cushions. I have used both the AirHawk (year round) and the Beadrider (summer only) for hundreds of 1000mile days. I rode my F800GT-P 4 1200 mile days in a row in complete comfort.

But I have another tip that is free and transfers from bike to bike. Stand up. Just stand on the pegs and do a few stretches once or twice an hour while you are riding down the road.

It works on every bike except those raked out choppers, but nobody is sitting on those for hour after hour.

12. Likesnotacop, XR1000 liked this post

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    How it looks, Vanity thy name is Woman, Wild Billy Shakespeare.
    Who gives a fat squat if it make your tushy comfy. If you get the pressure just right your butt oozes around on the seat in the twities just so.
    Go ahead and spend 100's on a seat that may or may not work.
    We try to ell you what works for long distance rides what you do is your choice.

Real Name
    Robert
    4 Weeks Ago
    In Poland it's pretty common to get your stock seat remade by someone. There are shops that specialize in motorcycle seats but sometimes even furniture upholsteres are willing to do the job.

Here it's quite a bit cheaper than getting a whole new seat from any of the "established" makers. Generally costs less than 200$ but keep in mind labor costs in Poland are rather low.

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Chris, your repair note made me remember I wore out one cover so I found a similar fabric at Joanns fabric and completely replaced that side of the pad. I've replaced the seat straps too.
    Stuff wears out after a few years. Keeps my sewing machine talents minimal too!

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I wish I knew how to sew. It would be so (sew) helpful.

Airhawk is selling their cushions on Amazon for $86. I think mine was originally about a hundred more. Supply and demand. There's a number of Chinese copies on there for half the price. But for the minimal cost difference, if I have to replace mine, I'll go with the Airhawk brand again. They came up with the idea and deserve the business.

Fezbin, there's a nice benefit to using a pad of some sort. If you have the seat redone and it isn't quite right...you're stuck with it. Or you have to send it back for another modification. And still that might not be exactly right. If I find I put too much air in my Airhawk, all I have to do is pull over on the side of the road and let some air out. And I can keep making adjustments till it is just right.

Chris

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Day Ago
    I’m a convert too. Even on my R1200RT, reportedly “the most comfortable motorcycle you can buy” as proclaimed by another forum member. My Airhawk truly makes that bike all-day comfortable, and I imagine it would do the same for my F800GT.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX 

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    And a nice part about the Airhawk emlevy has, is he can swap it from one bike to the other in just a couple minutes.

Chris

Real Name
    Randy
    17 Hours Ago
    If you really want to do something about your uncomfortable seat, click the link:
    https://www.terryscustomseats.com/
    Terry's seats are all-day comfortable. I put them on all my bikes. His prices are very reasonable too. If you are height-challenged, you are really going to like them
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191110_151519.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	366915  
    2010 F800ST 

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezbin View Post
    I am a new rider of an 2007 f800st and I find the seat very uncomfortable. I am looking for a good replacement but I really don't want to shell out $570+ for the Saddlemen Adventure Track Seat I saw reviewed on here. Does anyone have suggestions? I live in northern California.
    Agree with comments on the seat pads. Do you know if your ST has the stock seat? Mine had the lower seat option that was relatively comfy. (stock should be better)
    For long distances I used a seat pad. For local riding, just opted for my lower seat as I'm vertically challenged.

1 Minute Ago
    Is your seating position set up right? Do the handlebars feel a comfortable reach and do your pegs feel in the right position?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

7 Hours Ago
    I have a Sargent low seat in very good condition. I swapped it out for a Corbin I found for a good price on EBay. Seems like they go for $400+ but I would be willing to show some love since I found a suitable replacement.