F900 gt - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Robert
    22 Hours Ago
    Hi , does anybody know if BMW have plans for a F900 GT ?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Good question. Who knows? I doubt it though. The adventure tourer (as they like to call the F900XR) seems to be in fashion nowadays. A mid-sized, fully faired bike with maintenance free belt drive appears to have fallen of the radar. Pity, since those qualities, together with an uprated engine and all the modern electronics would have had me in the dealer, wallet in hand, in an instant. As it stands, I replaced my 2013 GT with a 2018 and will probably try and keep it for a while yet.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Robert
    22 Hours Ago
    I agree , l would definitely be interested..

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    Good question. Who knows? I doubt it though. The adventure tourer (as they like to call the F900XR) seems to be in fashion nowadays. A mid-sized, fully faired bike with maintenance free belt drive appears to have fallen of the radar. Pity, since those qualities, together with an uprated engine and all the modern electronics would have had me in the dealer, wallet in hand, in an instant. As it stands, I replaced my 2013 GT with a 2018 and will probably try and keep it for a while yet.
    Keep in mind that BMW makes motorcycles that they feel their customers should buy, not necessarily ones that their customers actually want to buy.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

7. LikesDaboo, PhotoAl liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Remember, once they build a 900 whatever the prospective buyers will be clamoring for a 1000cc. The inability to enjoy what was a great 800 never ends. It had more than enough, for some of us, hp at 84.
    Come out with a 250cc and the crowds calls for more and gets a 300, which will be found wanting.

9. LikesDaboo, TheMeteor liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Remember, once they build a 900 whatever the prospective buyers will be clamoring for a 1000cc. The inability to enjoy what was a great 800 never ends. It had more than enough, for some of us, hp at 84.
    Come out with a 250cc and the crowds calls for more and gets a 300, which will be found wanting.
    You hit the nail on the head. Once you realize that "happiness is wanting what you already have", you cease to be one of those BMW customers who always has to have "the latest". Personally, I don't need a huge TFT display that allows me to access the internet and make phone calls while I ride...it's not why I ride. If I wanted that, I'd put wheels on my home office desk and ride it.

11. LikesDaboo, Richard230, IanA, notacop, Sundog52 and 1 others liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Keep in mind that BMW makes motorcycles that they feel their customers should buy, not necessarily ones that their customers actually want to buy.
    That is soooo good.

It is a good feeling to own a bike that is in production, but the reality is that most bikes you see are no longer in production. I'm not talking about the models that are totally out of production, but the models that go by the same name, but have gone through several generations. The FJR is one example to me. The name is still used, but the current FJR1300 is a different bike than the 2002 FJR1300.

It would be nice to have an updated F900GT, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now. I'll probably not buy another new motorcycle. If my current GT ever needs to be replaced, I'll look for another. There are so many out there with only about 2000 miles, and at about half the price of the F900XR. It's hard to justify the new bike, when you can get a GT for about $6000.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Frank
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Little chance that BMW will develop a successor of our beloved belt-driven F800s, unfortunately. Selling numbers of the GT are extremely low, in comparison tot the GS version, so BMW will probably not spend any development effort.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

6 Hours Ago
    I know this has already been discussed, but I think it's safe to say that the 900xr is BMW's answer to the GT if not a consolidation of how spread out the 800 line was. From a production and marketing standpoint I think the GS R and XR cover the bases adequately in regards to what's been selling well. The XR is a (mostly) fair'd sport touring machine, the looks may be divisive, but what motorcycle isn't? Functionally though, it's a great mid-size sport touring setup with almost all the tech from the higher end bikes.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    The inclusion of "more and better" technology on bikes is enticing to many riders, but for some of us technology is just another method of distancing the rider from the riding experience. Yeah, yeah...I'm an "old guy" (if only chronologically), but I remember riding Triumphs, BSA's and the like in the 1960's, and in addition to be visceral as hell to ride, they were simple bikes. And I do appreciate some of the technology we have now, but heaping more tech on an existing platform and calling it an "evolution" is exactly why we have problems like this today:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smartphone-zombies-16spd8f.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	366947  

16. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The Yamaha Tracer GT and F900XR are on my short list ...after a F800GT, if I ever/want to replace my GT. The only thing they would potentially give me, is more suspension travel to handle the potholes in the Seattle metro area.

Chris

18. LikesPhotoAl liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    The Yamaha Tracer GT and F900XR are on my short list ...after a F800GT, if I ever/want to replace my GT. The only thing they would potentially give me, is more suspension travel to handle the potholes in the Seattle metro area.

Chris
    Have you looked at the 1250RS?

1 Minute Ago
    My 2 cents would be that the XR style market is probably where BMW will go. My F800GT is the first BMW that I have owned and I bought it to replace an aging VFR800. At first I felt I had really compromised on the cool factor, but now I don't. It has done everything I've wanted and yes it does exceed 130mph...as the specs claim. If I'm able to wear this F800 out, I'll certainly look around for a super clean F800GT as part of the "considering list". I'd rather own a motorcycle with an engine produced by a company that supplies aircraft engines (rotax) than a cost reduction Chinese sourced company. Just saying! Last summer I talked with an AMA Flat track rider in Rapid City SD who was racing an F800 engine in the pro twins class. Watching him come out of turn 4, wide open at about 10,000rpm was pretty cool. Unfortunately AMA changed the rules for 2020 which basically put him out of the privateer racing business. I understand that tech sells these days, but how many riders really need 3 or 4 mapping modes and aren't we suppose to be watching the road while riding. I'm already spending more brain energy looking for distracted car drivers, Geez I need some time to just enjoy the scenery. So, should BMW build a bigger, better F800GT? Probably! Just not for me.

21. Likesflyrider, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Have you looked at the 1250RS?
    Not really. I did a couple very long test rides on the R1200RS and liked it much better than the R1200RT I also rode. To me, the RS was like a larger F800GT. I didn't find the handling, or usable power to be much different than my GT. Adding more power to it, wouldn't really do much for me. I can still keep up with one at anything near sane riding speeds (and beyond) with my GT on public roads.

But the real reason in light of what I wrote earlier, is that the suspension travel isn't much different than I have already. The F800GT has a suspension travel of 4.9/4.9 inches. The RS has 5.5/5.5 inches of travel. But the F900XR has 6.6/6.7 inches of travel.

Now beyond that, there are some big negatives to the RS, the Tracer GT and the F900XT. One of them being the same issue you've been struggling with. All three have miniscule windshields in comparison to a "sport-touring" bike. All three have owners searching for an answer. I have a bike that already has that issue solved. Why do I want to spend twice as much money as a F800GT would cost...and then have to farkle it for thousands more...and then have to solve issues like poor seats and wind protection? As Mr. Spock would say, "It is illogical." (I watched Star Trek, the movie the other night. )

I wrote that the others are on my short list. But to clarify, they would be way down on that short list from simply finding another F800GT. I might look for a 2013 GT though in black. I rode with a forum member who had one, and it took my breath away looking at it. Beautiful!

Chris

23. LikesIanA liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Good stuff. I have come to the conclusion that the combination of my RR and my GT fulfill every possible "mission" I might want to undertake. The 1250RS is superbly balanced and a nice bike, but the windscreen is a horror. I'm happy with my stable of bikes!

Daboo...I think you're spot on in buying another GT when yours decides to go to pasture...

Real Name
    emlevy
    2 Hours Ago
    I rode a Loncin-sourced F850GS for a week in the Alps last year and came away completely impressed. I don’t care where an engine is assembled — that bike was miles ahead of my F800GT in terms of torque, smoothness, handling, agility, and shifting (which is saying a lot because my F800GT has the best gearbox of any bike I’ve owned). I’m agnostic as to a vehicle’s country of origin.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX 

6 Hours Ago
    The suspension on the 900XR is pretty impressive. I would say that if my 800gs was a 10 for comfort then the 900xr is a 9. The difference being that my GS had a fully adjustable cartridges and a custom tuned shock and the XR is still off-the-shelf stock. Equally impressive, it canyon carves really well too.

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    I have owned an R1200RS for the past 5 years. My semi-active computer-controlled ESA suspension sucks for solo riding. It is much too harsh when going over bumps. But works fine while carrying a passenger and/or luggage. The engine is a real peach and my Euro 3 model doesn't have a hint of lean running. Throttle response is perfect. The windshield issue can be resolved by any number of after-market options. I have a Givi touring windshield and it blocks the wind as well as an RT model. In fact, I have stopped using it as there is so little wind behind that shield that my face shield fogs up in cold or damp weather and I have to keep it raised to see. The real problem with the RS for me it its weight. BMW claims a 520 pound weight, but I have actually weighed mine that came with all of BMW's factory options. With a full tank of gas, it weighs 552 pounds. I think you can expect the R1250RS to add another 20 pounds to that figure.

Under all but freeway travel, I prefer to ride my F650GS. It corners better, is more comfortable and requires less dedication to toss around on the twisties.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Frank
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    I know this has already been discussed, but I think it's safe to say that the 900xr is BMW's answer to the GT if not a consolidation of how spread out the 800 line was. From a production and marketing standpoint I think the GS R and XR cover the bases adequately in regards to what's been selling well. The XR is a (mostly) fair'd sport touring machine, the looks may be divisive, but what motorcycle isn't? Functionally though, it's a great mid-size sport touring setup with almost all the tech from the higher end bikes.
    The XR is more a cross-over than a sport-touring bike. As the little brother of the S1000XR it has a far more upright seating position, comparable to dual sport bikes. But..... the XR and R are both chain-driven, which confirms my conclusion that BMW does not want continue the belt-driven model.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

29. LikesDaboo liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I got a G650GS single to replace the ST when it got killed. The ST was a better tourer but I've got a DL650 to fill in for that.
    I really pity those who always have to have more. In the automotive world my Camry and 4 Runner fill transportation needs, comfortable, durable and affordable, if you buy used.

31. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    7 Hours Ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5922.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	366973

Chris - i'll be glad to add your name to the pot for my GT after my demise - hopefully that won't be for a bit, but who knows - and at the rate i'm adding miles, it should still be under 10k when the time comes -

it sure is a sweet bike !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

22 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Im with Daboo on the condrundrum of a new bike. I'm at 30,000 and will probably have 36,000 by the fall if I do another long trip (have to schedule it after Sturgis crown clears out). I love the chasis of the F800GT but not a fan of the engine (as I've said many times). The F900XR is intriguing but I'm not so interested in a dual sport'sh bike. Suspension of my GT is a bit soft but then again it's nice when I do hit a stretch of rough road. I want ABS and cornering ABS is very desirable, power modes are nice but not necessary. My Kawasaki ZX6R had it and it was a nice comfort in the rain - yes I did ride my full on sport bike in the rain including massive thunderstorms (I stop when its lightning though). IMO traction control is nice when pavement is uncertain and if the bike is powerful enough to keep the front wheel on the ground. Currently the bike that is closest to optimum for me is the Tracer. However it would take a full suspension setup, windscreen, side cases, heated grips and cruse control added to a standard Tracer. However that is part of what make motorcycling fun, customizing your bike to suit your needs. In the past year I find myself riding my F800GT on long trips but not taking it out much for short fun rides. Have to say a big reason is the engine does not stir my soul. It does a descent job of propelling the bike down the road but with a minimum of excitement. Times like that are what really attracts me to the Tracer with the wonderful triple. The other side of the coin is when riding thru Nebraska, Wyoming, etc there are lots of gravel roads which would be doable on the F900XR but not an F800GT. I ride on by and look and wonder what is down that road but I'm not not risking a belt failure. I've ridden my F800GT places where it probably wasn't intended to go but nor that far. South Dakota dirt and gravel road with deep ruts in a couple of places and again in soft dirt road surface - still don't know how I kept it up. This is when I wonder what about an F900XR. Im not interested in a R1250RS, I'm sure they are nice bikes but I want a lighter more nimble bike. I love the way the F800GT turns into corners with very little effort and doesn't have to be muscled around even when loaded.

6 Hours Ago
    Not sure why people keep comparing the 900xr to a dual sport, have you guys not test ridden one??

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    The GT's not bad for short trips (I call "short" a ride of about 75 miles), and with the revs up, it's a blast in the twisties. But I agree on the engine...I've pinned the throttle on the GT many times, but live in terror of doing the same with my RR!

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    PhotoAl - I think that while you may get a rock caught in the belt, it won't necessarily break on you there. I had a rock get caught long enough to leave a small puncture in the belt and leave an impression behind. But when the belt finally started to fail at 53,000 miles, it was somewhere else entirely. Ride modes are great...but you have to have so much horsepower that you can't ride without it. I've actually had the traction control kick in on my GT; the first time when I was pulling out onto a country road and the rear wheel hit some fine sand. The engine cut way down till I got out of it. Without the traction control, I'd have probably dumped the bike when the tire reached the asphalt and grabbed hard.

rcb78 - I think the reason they compare it to a dual sport bike, is the styling is like one.

flyrider - Comparing engines on a GT to an RR is not even apples to oranges. And I've found the GT to work quite well even on "long" trips, or trips over 75 miles. Last summer, I rode for weeks with riders that had over 160 hp at the rear wheel. They used it. But they couldn't lose me. I finally realized that you can have all the horsepower in the world, but there's only so much you can use in the real world outside of a race track. The only thing the horsepower figures are good for, is marketing and bragging rights. And that's where riding modes save you...they limit what actually is used to what the conditions and rider can use.

I rode once also with a guy who had a Hayabusa. Oooo. Wow. To hear one of the riders who invited him to ride with us, was like he was something special. That's one fast bike...but he rode slower than anyone else in the group.

Chris

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago

I rode once also with a guy who had a Hayabusa. Oooo. Wow. To hear one of the riders who invited him to ride with us, was like he was something special. That's one fast bike...but he rode slower than anyone else in the group.

Chris
    And how often did he have to stop for gas.

38. LikesDaboo liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Daboo...when I said the GT was "not bad for short trips" my meaning was that while I prefer going long with it (like a 300-mile day), it can be a fun bike over short distances, especially if it's in a twisty mountain canyon. I think you thought I was denigrating the GT's long-range ability, which I was not.

As for the RR, well...you just have to experience it. The responsiveness is out of this world, yet the power is "tractable". I wouldn't dare try taking it to the limit, though; it'll do 100 in first gear! The key to the RR is its razor-sharp performance in the twisties, where it shines. I know there are guys who live in urban environments, who own RR's to ride down the boulevard, but that's like buying a Rembrandt to hang above your big screen TV.

40. LikesDaboo liked this post

6 Hours Ago

rcb78 - I think the reason they compare it to a dual sport bike, is the styling is like one.

Chris
    I'd call the styling more ADV than DS, which IMO was a good marketing move for BMW. There are so many GS riders out there who have bikes that never leave the pavement. My GS was tons of fun, but it did not handle like a street bike, the XR does. It'll do as well off road as any other street bike with 180/120 road tires. I think I've said this before, but maybe the term Adventure Touring bike is more accurate, but only in a road going sense.

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    I'd call the styling more ADV than DS, which IMO was a good marketing move for BMW. There are so many GS riders out there who have bikes that never leave the pavement...
    To me, the two are synonymous. The look I think, is for something that will go on road and off road. But like you wrote, there are many GS riders who only want the look, not the reality. The look of the F900XT and the bigger sibling are designed for that market.

I think the idea is pretty good. Roads are getting worse around here and the added suspension travel would be welcome. The minimal fairing gives the opportunity to add things like crash bars. And if you end up going down a gravel road like I did a few weeks ago, you have a bike that might be better than the GT.

If I was looking to buy a new bike, I might be tempted to go that route. But I'm not. I have my eye on Elizdad's GT. Frankly, I don't know how much longer I can ride. Right now for my age, I'm doing really well. How long will that last though? And I'm like notacop in that I don't need to have more.

Chris

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Frankly, I don't know how much longer I can ride. Right now for my age, I'm doing really well. How long will that last though? And I'm like notacop in that I don't need to have more.

Chris
    Somebody's going to ask you, so it might as well be me...what IS your age?

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    In dog years? Or people years? I'll be 68 this month. Many people are surprised, thinking I'm in my 50's.

My comment though is simply because I've realized people age at different rates. When we were in our 20's and 30's, we might be thought of as more or less physically fit, or smarter/dumber than others...but no one doubted we were our chronological age. I've seen like one man in my seminary class who is in his 70's and looks like he's in his 50's. On the other hand, I know of a woman who is in her 50's...and looks and acts like she's 20 years older. Even if we are physically fit, things like losing our sense of balance can affect our ability to ride. Or getting something like arthritis in the hips, etc. making it impossible to swing a leg over the seat.

I watched on another forum a long time member got an FJR1300. Brand new. Everyone was congratulating him on it. A few months later, he hit the back of a large truck at about 35 mph. It turns out, he was blind as a bat with a fast advancing degenerative eye disease. Riding a motorcycle capable of hitting 150+ mph.

So it isn't that I am concerned at all about taking a "short" ride over to the Badlands like I did in June, or riding to Bend next week. I'll probably put on 2000 miles this month alone. I just appreciate that I've been blessed, and I look around and realize that this is something that I can't take for granted.

And I hope I'm smarter than those who spend a fortune to buy their dream bike, and then ride it less than 2000 miles before realizing they just can't do it anymore.

Chris

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    A lot of the process of aging is down to how we treat our bodies. Processed food and sedentary living? Bad. Healthy, organic food and plenty of exercise? Good. But a lot of people lived stressed-out lives and are supporting a family and pets on an income that won't allow for more expensive food, or time for exercise...I see them a lot, and they're breaking down at younger and younger ages. Our food industry pushes sugar and additive-laden "food" as "natural", when in fact it's...poison.

Whatever you're doing, Daboo, keep it up! I'm 73 and feel good enough to ride the GT and RR. I credit my wife, who discovered the benefits of healthy food years ago. We've both been athletic for decades, so keeping fit isn't an effort, it's a lifestyle.

For anyone interested, here's a cool online test to determine your approximate physical age. Last time I did it, I came out at 48 years of age in terms of fitness. Try it...you may be a lot younger than you think!

https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    My wife pushes healthy food. She tries her best. Some people have better genes than others.

When I was in the USAF, my next door neighbor had a continual battle with cholesterol. He watched his diet. Exercised. Looked like a marathon runner. I on the other hand, ate junk food to my heart's content...and had no problems with my cholesterol.

Chris

22 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Genetics are a big part, every year when I see my heart surgeon he talks about how great my arteries are, if my valve had been better though ... I pretty much eat whatever I want and I'm a couple of years behind Daboo. I'm not super concerned about my belt but with Road 5 tires and fully loaded I avoid gravel roads. I could do some of them in Wyoming and Nebraska and probably should but am nervous about it. I have my belt changed at 24,000 (I have prepaid service) and kept the "old" belt. I don't doubt it would go 50,000 miles or more. What is so frustrating to me is the F800GT is a really great bike but the engine need a bit more power and character which seems like they have done in the F900XR.

fly rider - if I had an RR I would defiantly pin the throttle What I loved about the CBR600RR and the ZX6R636 was their razor sharp handling. Just think turn in and they do. LOL, I'd had the CBR for a couple of years and did a demo ride on Ducati Diaval. Pulling out of the dealership I had a scary moment when I realized I was going to have to muscle it around. Beauty of a liter bike is you don't have to shift so much while a 600 need to be kept spooled up. Part of the reason I struggle with the F800GT is the change from a screaming inline 4 to a parallel twin. However when puttering along it really doesn't matter. On long trips I find myself doing a lot of puttering along but there are also long stretches where I'll be running quickly. In June when I was in the Black Hills it was hard to get excited as the curves were open, speed limits were relatively low and there were lots of pokey HDs and cars. Makes for easy riding and great gas mileage of the F800GT.

rcb78 - haven't risen a F900XR yet, would like to but the local dealer doesn't to demo rides on a routine basis. They have an XR bt it is the base model. I would want a center stand, heated grips and cruse control, other stuff I can live without. I'm not in such a rush for a bike that I can't wait. I've got 11 months of free services left. I was hoping to ride to San Jose in a couple of weeks but with all of the restrictions across the country looks like it will be next year. About to start planning a Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/South Dakota trip.

In a general sense I don't need traction control on the F800GT but would be nice to have when riding in foul conditions. Last trip went thru a pass in the rain, basically a cold miserable rainy day with temps in the 50s and 40s and 30s going thru a pass. Road was unfamiliar and didn't have a good sense of what traction was available. Situations like that are where traction control is valuable to me. I had it on my ZX6R, was fun to play with in the wet and it did kick in a couple of times in the dry when I was cornering. It was nice for keeping the front wheel down. Here is a frame grab from my GoPro, wet, miserable, cold looking for snowflakes as its in the 30s. Wondering how good is the traction is the road good or slippery? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 5.49.04 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	401.0 KB 
ID:	367011

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    I have a Givi touring windshield and it blocks the wind as well as an RT model. In fact, I have stopped using it as there is so little wind behind that shield that my face shield fogs up in cold or damp weather and I have to keep it raised to see.
    This is why my dreamcicle employs an electric windscreen: you can't beat aiming air flow for hot, cold, wet, foggy weather w/ the button press. I use it constantly especially nice when you live in an area with rapidly evolving weather. At fully up I'm fully isolated from wind, fully down I get lovely clean air into my upper chest, and it's great to be able to direct air flow into your visor when in fog and light or moderate rain. I'm really surprised more people discount the value of these.

BMW T1000GT:

950cc in-line triple, belt-driven, similar fairing and side cases as RS, ergos more neutral ala RT, designed w/ an enhanced height-adjustable rider's seat, full on tech including Dynamic ESA with a cush soft setting, Ride Modes, ABS-Pro, Shift-Assist, and full on comfort in addition to the full range electric screen including TPMS, heated seat/grips, CC, LEDs throughout. Curb weight fully fueled: 510lbs. 118HP. Sport styling and paint but clearly a fully competent long range tourer. Less options which trims cost, more built-in features, MSRP: $15,950 US.
    Last edited by Noel; 08-16-20 at 06:37 PM.

22 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    So today I get an email from dealer. F900XR demo unit with 230 miles for $11,000. It is the base model. I asked about could they add heated grips, cruse control and a center stand. The could do grips and center stand but not cruse control. For a moment it was tempting but will pass I think. $11,000 plus cost of dealer installed heated grips and center stand plus side cases make it more than a Tracer 900GT. Looking on the internet Ive seen a couple between $16,000 and $17,000 which are what I would call comparable with the Tracer 900GT. There are lots of Standard machines out there for $12,xxx and a few a but under but no side cases etc. I looked at MCC cruse who have a cruse control for the F800GT but nothing for the F900XR. Adding the cost to a base model gets the price up and soon looses its appeal. I found a British review which compared the F900XR and the Tracer 900GT, they are very evenly matched bikes (except for price) but the F900XR has lighter handling at low speeds. So back to my original condrundum, racking up the miles on the F80GT and will have 36,000 if Im able to pull off my planned late August/September trip. It's not broke so look like I will keep on riding it. Last trip cruse would have been very nice and since I've looked at a couple of bike with it, it's in my mind when on a long trip.

Real Name
    Ric
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    So this may be why we won't see another belt drive from BMW, and perhaps it will be enough to not want one. The belt drive is big on my list of must haves up until now, perhaps.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/bmw-making...psFTv97yyoVkI8

51. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOz View Post
    So this may be why we won't see another belt drive from BMW, and perhaps it will be enough to not want one. The belt drive is big on my list of must haves up until now, perhaps.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/bmw-making...psFTv97yyoVkI8
    I can hardly imagine what this chain will cost if purchased from a BMW dealer. And what about sprocket wear? Will the drive sprockets also be coated with DLC?