F750GS Quick-Shifter Operation - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    JR
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    I bought a new 2019 F750GS last year and it came with a quick shifter. I can’t get that quick shifter to do much of anything unless I’m playing racer-boy from stop sign to stop sign, hard on the throttle above 5 grand. The dealer says this is the way it’s supposed to work. If so, it seems pretty worthless for every day riding. I’ve spoken to other riders who say they use theirs “all the time” for normal riding and seldom use the clutch except for stopping and starting.

I’ve tried pre-loading the shift lever, shifting while loading and unloading the transmission, tried steady throttle, high revs, low revs, and every combination of transmission/shifter/throttle I can think of. If I pull on the shifter hard enough it just slams into the next gear with the bang and jerk I expect of shifting without blipping the throttle unless I'm wound out on the throttle above 5K. I’ve pretty much quit experimenting so I don’t shear a gear dog.

I’ll be swapping bikes with a friend who loves the quick shifter on his R1200RT so we can compare notes since he’s in the use it “all the time” category. Until then, I thought I’d float this post and see what comments surface.

Is it me and my 50 years and 600K miles of ingrained shifting habits or do others have similar experiences? Is the quick shifter only a track day toy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    10 Hours Ago
    I had a similar issue with the "quick shifter" on my R1200RS when it was new. However after I complained, my dealer downloaded the latest firmware and that fixed the problem. It now shifts well, both up and down, without any issues other than a jerk when up-shifting between first and third gears. Downshifting works perfectly as the engine automatically revs to match the shift. It works at any throttle opening. However, you need to be sure not to preload the gear lever as that will confuse the system.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

23 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Similar issues here. I just bought an F900R and one of the reasons I opted for the Premium package (which is bundled with a lot of stuff I didn't need) was the Quick Shifter. An old injury has been coming back to haunt me with my left wrist getting quite tired in stop-n-go so figured that would help. Turns out the clutch pull is rather light with the F900R anyhow. (some sorta torque assist)
    Only ~ 300 miles so far and I've to retrain myself a bit. No more pre-loading. I've found from 1st - 3rd, a quick pull and release on the clutch makes for a smooth upshift. Higher gears are fine with upshift (stay on the gas). Downshifts as Richard mentioned for the most part except lowest gears.
    Also read that it gets a bit better with break-in and new s/w. Was slightly peeved the dealer didn't upload the latest s/w (I'd asked) and will request it for 600 mile service and see if it helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

9 Hours Ago
    The quickshifter does have a bit of a learning curve, I've got it on my 900xr. Downshifts are near perfect for me if the throttle is fully closed. It can be done with partial throttle openings but takes some practice to learn what it does and doesn't like. Upshifts are great in lower gears while accelerating at higher rpms, once you're in 3rd or 4th gear it almost doesn't matter what the engine speed is so long as there's a little load on the engine. You cannot preload the shifter because the bike will read that as an attempted shift an the screw things up when you actually make the shift. You also have to fully release between shifts for the same reason.
    I use it more than I realize I do now that I've gotten used to it and really only use the clutch for low speed city riding where you need a some clutch work to stay smooth.

Real Name
    Lyle
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Rode a buddies 1000xr with quick shift and found it smooth as glass with absolutely no experience on my part,,.

Hopefully someone will confirm the smooth QS operation with a F750GS, so you can beat the dealer over the head with it,,. My next bike would definitely include a model with a quick shifter so hopefully there is a resolution to your issues,,.

Real Name
    Bruce
    12 Hours Ago
    My S1000R is as smooth as glass.... like butter. My new GS... not so much. Maybe better after break-in?
    Bruce A. Brown #164572
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor and H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor