Sat nav fell off - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

10-26-20
    Has anyone had a problem / nightmare with navigator unit coming off , just returned from 2760 ml tour off Germany / Italian alps / tre Croce / grossglockner / Austria / Germany / Holland with wife and full luggage , however all that was put in jeopardy BECAUSE - whilst on autobahn in Germany my motorrad navigator parted company with cradle , at great risk to life and limb an emergency stop / sprint up hard shoulder was successfully made and unit was recovered , looking decidedly second hand now but working HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD SAME ISSUES HOWEVER SLIGHT - bmw looking into it under now , they will say it wasn’t in right - I know it was having used it for 2 years now - hope someone has had a problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    2 Weeks Ago
    No, sorry, I haven’t experienced this. It will be interesting to see if BMW makes you whole.
    2012 BMW R1200R Classic | 2015 BMW R1200RT 

10-26-20
    Yes shortly before it became airborne I had just passed about a series ( about 4 or 5 ) bits of repaired / uneven road surface which if I remember were sharp vibrations - perhaps the frequency of those sections were enough to shake it but you would think it would have a double catch or something , now looking into some sort of deAd man cord or something , used to have something similar on my computer in my scuba diving days , if strap broke / detached you wouldn’t lose the computer off your wrist

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10-26-20
    Rest of holiday was spent with thick rubber band securing nav unit to cradle , not ideal for reading roads etc lol , cradle is genuine 4 button cradle supplied and fitted by local dealer so if u have the same cradle please double check yours before every ride

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Why so many people put trust in effectively rubber bad mounts I dunno? The mounts in the car fail all the time, lousy suction cups on the window. On the bikes I run less expensive car type GPS that have features I like at a price I can afford but I have it in a Ram Aqua Box. Quite secure in the handle bars and safe from the elements.
    Up to date technology is great until it isn't.

Real Name
    Cramer
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I've used this RAM mount for my phone and sometimes my old Garmin GPS for a about 8 years now while doing at least 40,000 miles over all sorts of road conditions. Never had a problem with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

10-26-20
    No guys this was genuine bmw 4 button cradle , I know many have there own uses and ideas for mounting sat nav etc but if anyone has had any issues with the bmw cradle let me know please so I can at least have however slight ammunition with bmw warranty

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    was it properly secured in to the adapter? I don't know the physical adapter of the one for the BMW navigator, but on the Garmin ones you have a fixed v-shaped slot that slides in one side, and the other slides on to another v-shaped slot but is retractable for removing it. It would only fall out if the device was not correctly pushed in to the catch.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I lost a Garmin 595LM that way. I'd used it with no issues for several years and one day last spring, it fell off. In my case, I didn't see it go and never found it.

When I bought the replacement, a Garmin Zumo XT, I worked out a way to tether it to the bike. I don't trust the mounts any more.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

12. Likes notacop liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    The one possibility is that someone had attempted to steal it, failed but left it loose on the mount.
    The (very) expensive Touratech mount looks like it would made theft difficult and certainly prevent it jumping out of the mount.
    In my case the Garmin 660 I used to use was forced out of its mount by a good samaritan recovering it after an accident.
    I did not trust the mount after that and eventually replaced it.
    No problem with the new mount, but it just did not go into the old one and feel "right". There was no obvious damage to the mount and the scattynav was still firmly attached to the mount after my little tumble (sky, tarmac, sky, tarmac, paramedic, ambulance.......
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

Real Name
    Frank
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Never experienced this. 17 years sat nav experience on a bike, 5th GPS device, 5 motorcycle models, highways, small roads, terrible road conditions (Belgium), never lost a sat nav. I think the device was not correctly mounted in its cradle. Especially the latch of the BMW Navigator cradle can be a bit tricky...

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Good for you Chris, being wary of what you see is a good thing.

Real Name
    Nigel
    57 Minutes Ago
    Has something similar happen around 10 years back, different mount and different bike though. (R1100 RT with Garmin mount).

In my case it was well used and had a buildup of crud in the catch that held the Sat Nav to the holder. The Sat Nav came adrift as I was accelerating back up to speed having just refuelled. Managed snatch it from the top of the tank before it slid off and then an interesting one handed stop on the side of the Autoroute. Never trusted it again and used small bungees untill I bought a new holder when I got home from my trip.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

10-26-20
    It locates in a lug / step at the bottom and is fixed into the cradle by similar two slots at top and securing ? Catch locates only on these , small tab lifts up , indicates red for open and clips into the slot , well I’ve used it last year for similar 3,000 ml trip and u hear an audible click when it locks , I heard it click as it usually does and tab wasn’t showing red so no reason whatsoever not to believe it was 100% located , some 70 miles or so had passed at 70 mph or so before it parted company ( Memmingen to fussen )

10-26-20
    Well you locate the bottom slot into unit , push the top into the cradle , the flap lifts up with red part on it , you push it home the flap moves up then down and it clicks into place , as it’s not a lockable cradle the unit was replaced when we stopped overnight or away from the bike so quite familiar with the usage of the unit , only other thing I thought was particular frequency of road surface prior to unit coming off , I’m an ex Peugeot master tech so familiar with vibrations / frequencies and what affects they can cause

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    Daboo, would be interested in how you tethered the XT to the bike. I recently go a Zumo XT and am a bit concerned about the mount - very secure one it is but worry about not getting it latched properly. Did you use a stick on tether? Ive got a couple of those may try. I line the elastic pieces that work with the RAM X-mounts and go over each corner. I may see about adapting something like that to the XT. Whenever I stop and go in a gas station to use the restroom and get a coke I always take my nav system, GoPro and tank bag with me. LOL I come by it honest, family used to call my mother's house Fort Doris

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I could probably have done it better, but I used a leftover camera wrist strap and some industrial strength velcro. I sandwiched the camera strap between the velcro which is attached to the back of the Zumo XT.

There must be better ways to do this, but it is functional. After losing the 595LM, I wasn't willing to take any chances. Not even for one ride.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

10-26-20
    Isn’t the 595lm essentially the same unit as the nav 6 ? I felt exactly the same , couldn’t fully trust the cradle , the same unit had previously been in my gs but that was the lockable one , got a case no from bmw , still waiting on dealer phoning me to see what happens next

Real Name
    JR
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    I've had GPS on bikes since 1994 and have never lost one (including those big ol' Street Pilots). But I've always had a nagging suspicion of those BMW Nav mounts and your story seems to confirm it. I like Daboo's tether idea and think I'll see what I can work out. Although yours is a horror story, thanks for telling us of it.

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    Bought some NordicFlash brand round tether mounts from Amazon. just a tiny bit too big but put one on the back in the upper left corner. They use the 3M foam adhesive same as GoPro mounts. Its been on there a couple of days and will certainly hold the weight of the Zumo XT. Have the tether cord in a loop and will loop it around the bars and fasten with a carabiner - printing three in PETG to see if they are strong enough. Plastic so it (hopefully) wind mess up the bars. Hopefully will be one of those things that I never use. Also used one of the tether mounts for the GoPro case - stuck it on the windscreen behind the GoPro. GoPro mount has been on there for 2 years with no issues - I've pulled them off to replace on other bikes and even when I thought it was weak it was difficult to remove.