Man, my ass hurts - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    Put about 400 miles on my ST last weekend from a round trip across state from Boston to the Berkshires. Prior to that, I had a few short trips. Hands went numb and wrist hurt—bought grip puppies and a cramp buster, check. Could see only my elbows—Got mirror extenders, check. Seat caused ass burn and angled in a way that my pelvis eventually migrated to end up against the tank in a most uncomfortable bunch—got a Airhawk, check. Helped a bit but still pretty uncomfortable—read a post about wearing bike shorts with gel padding in the seat, got em, check. Now I’d say a long ride is bearable, maybe even okay. But I didn’t buy a bike to settle for a bearable ride. Guess I’m going with a Sargent next. A new seat, with the Airhawk and the bike shorts might be approaching decent?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Week Ago
    LOL.... All that goes away on the third day. Save your $'s. Ride more...

4. Likes Cheesy rider, notacop, 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    3 Hours Ago
    have to agree agree with xr - at least if you have a budget (wife) like i do - put some miles on it before you make too many changes - just curious tho, what made you choose the ST ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    The price was right, really good condition, low miles, and it was close to home.

notacop is online The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    So now you have a nice new seat to try, Go see how many time zones you can cross comfortably in a day!
    That distance riding isn't just a comfy seat, it's a condition of enjoying pissing many gallons of gas away riding endless hours just because.

1 Week Ago
    DJR, 400 miles is a pretty good days ride and we aren't ( at least myself ) bullet proof anymore. Hope you enjoyed the ride! I'm having morning coffee and will be off in about a hour, tonight I'll be feeling your pain.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    The price was right, really good condition, low miles, and it was close to home.
    the same four boxes that mine checked !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Lyle
    44 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Probable different then the ST, Ive got the 700GS with the comfort seat and find its hours x distance and I usually find I top out at 600 Kms or 10 hrs which ever comes first,,. The rest is pretty tedious on the body,,. I find the Airhawk of little benefit on this seat which is plenty soft and seems to have a definite pocket,,. Problem with that is your seating position is somewhat planted and it tends to stress the knees and thighs after a long day,,. Im not a big guy at 5 ft 9 in however I could use a bit more space and flexibility for my taste,,.
    Also conditioning makes a difference, the more you ride the longer you can last with out the body stress catching up, lots of short stops to stretch throughout the day help however once I reach a certain point the only thing that will fix the problem is plenty of beer and a good chair,,!!

2 Weeks Ago
    I get it. I might be chasing the fantasy of a perfectly comfortable bike. I am making constant adjustments in the tension of my grip and the weight on my arms (to address the numbness) and the position of my legs and hips (to address the ass burn) and the hours riding increase conditioning and tolerance, but I think that BMWs decision to increase the height of the bars from the ST to the GT says something about popular demand.

Real Name
    Randy
    18 Hours Ago
    I have said it before and I will say it again. If you really want to do something about that miserable seat, check out the link:
    https://www.terryscustomseats.com/
    RandyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191110_151519.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	367533
    2010 F800ST 

09-12-20
    Check out Terry's Custom Seats: https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

He appears to make a budget version of the Russell Daylong saddle. I was impressed enough by other reports, and corresponding with Terry that I put down $100 two months ago to get on his waiting list for a December build. With luck, I will have a new seat by January.

1 Minute Ago
    is your seating position set up right, with the right balance of weight across your feet, hands & core?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

notacop is online The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    "lots of short stops to stretch"

Can't think of a worser way to not get anywhere. When riding distances for the purpose of getting there ASAP even gas stops are a bother.
    If putting miles down is the point of the ride then you'll appreciate why the Iron Butt folk add capacity so they can carry 10 gallons or so.
    If you are out for a pleasant jaunt, lots of stops to take in what is available is a great thing to do.
    A few friends and I would ride to Colorado for the weekend. Leave the Los Angeles area early Thursday morn and come back on Sunday. It wasn't the ride, it was the destination that was important.
    DJ123 is right on about the ergo's too. Nothing good about a bad handle bar position to put a kink in your neck or foot pegs that have your knees aching

Real Name
    Lyle
    44 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    "lots of short stops to stretch"

To each there own,,. Not my cup of tea to sit on a motorcycle for endless hours just to get some where feeling like shit,,. If I want to enjoy the road and the scenery I take a bike when the weather is good and the traffic is low in the countryside mid week,,!!

If all I'm trying to do is get the destination I use the SUV,,!!

18. Likes IanA, Elizdad liked this post

Real Name
    Gerry
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I managed to find a used Sargent seat at a fair price about 3 years ago. Mad i waiting so long. Before that my ass was sore and burning after 100-150 miles and the swim team was strangled from constantly sliding forward into the tank. I also would get a pain in the left hip.

Since I got the new seat I can ride all day without the above issues.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    M.A. Marks
    09-02-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 TW200
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    After a 14,000 miles in 64 day circumnavigation of the US and Canada on a 2009 F8gs, my best advice is spend more time on your pegs.
    Stretch the legs and spine, shake out the hips, standing up on your pegs brings enormous relief on the long ride days. Everything else mentioned is great, but no substitute for occasionally standing, plus you get a better view!
    Homo sapiens? Linneaus was an optimist.
    "They that can give up essential liberties to obtain
    a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin 

21. Likes XR1000, 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    John
    6 Days Ago
    Take a couple of Paracetamol before you ride.

09-03-20
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    Put about 400 miles on my ST last weekend from a round trip across state from Boston to the Berkshires. Prior to that, I had a few short trips. Hands went numb and wrist hurt—bought grip puppies and a cramp buster, check. Could see only my elbows—Got mirror extenders, check. Seat caused ass burn and angled in a way that my pelvis eventually migrated to end up against the tank in a most uncomfortable bunch—got a Airhawk, check. Helped a bit but still pretty uncomfortable—read a post about wearing bike shorts with gel padding in the seat, got em, check. Now I’d say a long ride is bearable, maybe even okay. But I didn’t buy a bike to settle for a bearable ride. Guess I’m going with a Sargent next. A new seat, with the Airhawk and the bike shorts might be approaching decent?!
    Judging by what you say about being angled, maybe this will help.

When I bought my ST it was uncomfortable because the pegs and handle bar height had me leaning forward.

After looking around I found suburban-machinery who offered foot peg lowering kits. I also bought handlebar risers. If you go with risers you'll need cable extensions. If you have a Motorad GPS, you'll need a clamp to hold the GPS since the riser interferes with the standard factory placement and you'll need to remove the standard GPS stand.

HTH

1 Week Ago
    If and when our new-to-us F800ST comes back from the dealer for getting the rear wheel bearing recall done, and we decide it's the "touring" bike for the Missus, it will be getting a set of the old Heli Multi-Tour Sport bars I got off Ebay from a ZZR1200. Even the right silver color.
    The wrist angle of the stock bars doesn't suit either of us. That's the good news with standard 7/8" pipe bars: there's likely a solution somewhere.
    For now it has 2" (50mm) Rox risers angled back a ways. That's about the limit of the clutch cable, I think. Although, I haven't experimented with re-routing since the bike was only here long enough to get tires and steering head bearing before being sent off for the rear end rebuild. It may be that I can make it go a different route and get it done. Still, the cable isn't new, and a Motion Pro plus-4" (100mm) is probably going to be the final answer.
    A note- I did have to re-route the upper brake hose inside the triple clamps, which, considering I had the front end off for the head bearing change, was a nothing thing.
    I suspect a Sargent Low will be part of the future should the bike prove out.

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F 800 ST
    I purchased a Terry's seat as well for my F800ST and couldn't be happier. On the stock seat I could only get 1-2 hours before pain set in. Now I can go all day.

My thread: https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...dle-for-F800ST