Rough idle / stalling after cold start after checking valve clearances on my 2015 F80 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Days Ago
    After checking my valve clearances and putting everything back together I started my bike and it sounded really rough then stalled. Tried again twice and the same thing happened. On the fourth attempt I added some revs and it didn't stall but was very rough. Sounded like there was some faint ticking coming from the engine and could feel a slight knocking through the handlebars.

I took the airbox off again and checked all hose and electrical connections and everything seemed OK. Checked the spark plugs and they were slightly browner than before starting it up but not bad. Put everything back together and tried to start again but the same thing happened.

So I stripped it down again and took the valve cover off. everyrhing looked OK. The only thing I can think of is that the gasket didn't seal properly but I didn't see any oil leaking (the bike was only running for around 10 s. I used gasket sealant (loctite 5990) and on one side it looked like there wasn't enough.

Not sure what to do next...please help!! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    43 Minutes Ago
    Did you adjust the valve clearances? That is similar to what happens when the valve lash is too tight. If one cylinder is not firing, that would also result in those symptoms, as would an air leak at the throttle bodies. Perhaps you didn't get the air intake rubber gasket connected properly? Those things can be really tough to get fully seated without resulting in a gap at a location that is not easily seen.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

3 Days Ago
    No didn't need to adjust the valves. They were all well within spec. Going to check if both cylinders are running tomorrow. And for the air intake, I'm pretty sure they were sealed well (everything was clean and the rubbers are all in good condition. Going to check the IAS is working properly though as I missed this today. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    bever
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    hi bald, how many mile have you got on your bike? sounds like these engines do not need valve adjustment under 80,000 kms. cheers mate and good luck with your problem.

3 Days Ago
    13 K miles. Yes the valves were well within spec. I read the same online regarding not needing to adjust but just wanted to make sure my maintenance was up to date. Will update if/when I figure this out!

8. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    bever
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    ok, good luck (((-;

3 Days Ago
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This evening I solved the problem!! I noticed that my throttle had zero play at all (there is usually a small amount of play) when I started it up to check both manifolds were hot (they were). I tried to loosen the cable but even when maxed out there was still no play. So I checked the other end of the throttle cable (on the intake) and thought it looked a bit strange; kind of wonky... Turned out that I put it on the bracket incorrectly...don't know how to describe it well but basically I had the screw and hex piece on the same side of the bracket instead of having the screw and hex piece on either side of the bracket. So I think what was happening was the cable was tight so the butterflies were always open a long with the IAS when starting so must have been running lean. Anyhow, stripped it down and sorted the throttle cable. Runs even better now! I think my throttle cable must have been a bit loose before! Such a silly thing to cock up...cost me a few evenings. But I can now strip down to valve cover off in less than an hour so at least I learned something! Cheers

11. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    RobA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Rob
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hello Bald, Glad to hear you found the problem. I was about to suggest that you probably removed the battery to do the valves and so you would need to reset the throttle before re-starting and this often gives the symptoms you experienced, if the reset has not bee done. Rob.

Real Name
    bever
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    well done (((-;

6 Days Ago
    Do you have instruction on how to reset the throttle after having the battery off? I’m having the same issue

Real Name
    Claudio
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHobbitOi812 View Post
    Do you have instruction on how to reset the throttle after having the battery off? I’m having the same issue
    From another post in the forum, these are the basic instructions:

urn on ignition. Move throttle to fully open and hold for five seconds, move to fully closed and hold for five seconds, then repeat four more times (i.e. a total of five open-closed cycles). Then turn off ignition.
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin