New Helmet Help - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Real Name
    Lonnie
    08-30-21
    flyrider - i will definitely consider one - but the thing is SNUG right out of the box - once it loosens up a bit, i'll give it a go -

thanks -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Days Ago
    @Royce: Your list corroborates this man's: Fortnine's Best Beginner Motorcycle Gear Tips

Back on topic:
    I've found that the Shoei GT Air II was an eye opener. Granted, I don't know how much time you spend above 65mph/100kmh, but my previous Scorpion Exo 510 was earsplittingly loud above 150kmh and generally had significant lift above 130 kmh too. Meaning it tried to fly off my head. Uncool.
    Meanwhile the Shoei was so quiet and aerodynamically optimized that I was doing 180 km/h without earplugs and could have done so for hours. Felt like I was sitting in an airliner. What amazed me even more was the lack of aerodynamically induced change in behavior when looking over my shoulder - It was almost as if I was standing still.

I ruined it by putting a Sena 30K on it. You definitely notice the noise the headset makes, the right side of the helmet is quiet while the left has a loud wind noise.
    As the SRL2, Sena's plug and play headset for the Neotec II and GT Air II, can't be charged and used at the same time - a feature I've found to be essential on longer tours - the 30K was the only option for me. I'll probably glue it to the back of the helmet some time soon and extend the wires to see how that works out, as it should move it out of the airflow.

04-23-21
    I have experienced wearing a modular helmet and made my head heavy. Then I switched to Shoei RF 1200 and saved my head from the crash.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Speaking of the Shoei RF-1200, I see they have a new iteration...the RF-1400. Wonder if it's really "better"...? I like what they say about noise reduction, but not sure if that translates to actual road use (versus "wind tunnel") experience.

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/rf-1400-features-summary

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Speaking of the Shoei RF-1200, I see they have a new iteration...the RF-1400. Wonder if it's really "better"...? I like what they say about noise reduction, but not sure if that translates to actual road use (versus "wind tunnel") experience.

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/rf-1400-features-summary
    My favorite helmet was the Shoei RF200. The later versions just didn't fit me quite as well as that early version.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    I'm always looking at helmets. In the last year or so I've noticed an increase in helmets which were difficult to fit a standard bluetooth coms unit on. My AGV has curve at the bottom that makes it difficult but was able to just barely fit a Cardio Freecom 1+ on it using the clip on mount. It is smaller than my Senna SMH10. For interstate riding I use wired earbuds for music, phone calls and noise canceling. In all the years of riding I've only answered the phone a very few times when I was expecting a call - proves to me I don't really NEED to talk on the phone while riding and I certainly don't need to hear about my car warranty expiring soon!!!!

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Ah, the joys of riding while yakking on a phone, watching the GPS unit and accessing the internet. Oh, no!!! Where did that corner come from? Aiyeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked up "Luddite" in the dictionary, and my picture was there...

5 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Ah, the joys of riding while yakking on a phone, watching the GPS unit and accessing the internet. Oh, no!!! Where did that corner come from? Aiyeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked up "Luddite" in the dictionary, and my picture was there...
    I actually very much dislike having to stop and check my phone to figure out whether the call I just recieved was something important from my family or telemarketing. If it's telemarketing I can just hang up and be done with it instead of having to find a shoulder to park on, pulling off my helmet, gloves and opening my jacket to retrieve my phone. If my brother wants to know where a particular tool might be I can tell him without actually having to interrupt my riding.

Then there is the issue of the GPS unit - with audible cues I completely stop watching it unless the road gets complicated. When there are 7 different ways to go on a particular intersection checking the screen of a GPS is useful, but outside of that? I don't need the visual screen. Audible guidance is just fine and I am never worried about missing a certain direction this way - meaning I spend more time looking at the road and less at my GPS ( Do people still actually use these? I figured Calimoto and Google Maps had made them unattractive to anyone that can operate a smartphone - which tends to be everyone that can operate a dedicated GPS system) or to be more precise, my ziploc'd smartphone.

The future is going to be clip in heads up displays like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8BSqs1xXw

This, of course, is not useful for riders that stay on the same roads and never change where they are going. But for those that use their bikes for different purposes, for instance flexible touring or just getting to places in a large city with nearly constant roadworks blocking streets and highly optimized traffic flow - i.e. one way streets everywhere - meaning you really need to know where you're going and how you get there or you're going to cause traffic jams.

And finally - sitting at a constant 5k rpm on the autobahn for hours gets a lot more tolerable if you have an audiobook or music to listen to, while allowing you to use the same device clamped to your bars as a GPS screen with audible cues.

So even for a self titled luddite, these technologies might just hold something that could be worth getting more acquainted with these things.

1 Hour Ago
    You can tell the SHARP ratings are skewed against Schuberth of Germany. Look at the mannequin impact pictures on the AGV Compact Modular helmet and tell me how it gets 4 Stars and the Schuberth C4 only gets 3? Brexit FTW!

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighning View Post
    You can tell the SHARP ratings are skewed against Schuberth of Germany. Look at the mannequin impact pictures on the AGV Compact Modular helmet and tell me how it gets 4 Stars and the Schuberth C4 only gets 3? Brexit FTW!
    Ask the question, SHARP have responded to my queries in the past. But as SHARP was introduced in 2007 and the Schuberth C4 was released in 2017 it would seem difficult to devise a test to skew against a helmet that would not be in the market place for another 10 years.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

13. Likes BoxerBits liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    5 Hours Ago
    You'll have to enlighten us on the relevance of Brexit with the safety test results of helmets marketed by German and Italian companies.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

1 Hour Ago
    I think it is more important to explain how the two helmets I described ended up with the ratings they have without the ratings being skewed for some reason. The pictures are my proof. Anyone else?

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I think it is more important to explain how the two helmets I described ended up with the ratings they have without the ratings being skewed for some reason. The pictures are my proof. Anyone else?
    Have you asked SHARP? Surely that must be your first course of action. For what it's worth the pictures of impact absorption are only part of the equation that goes to make up the star rating there are other elements. SHARP's methodology has been questioned, primarily around the rotational part of the test, I've read both the criticism and the response from SHARP it's heavy going but worth a look at if you are interested.

What SHARP are doing is complex and difficult, they have taken real life statistics on fatal and serious head injury motorcycle accidents, replicate that in testing and add a weighting dependent on the likelihood of an accident scenario occurring it's why, unlike some testing, there in no penetration test because the stats shows that's not what is killing motorcyclist. If the worse was to happen and I came of my bike and some errant piece of sharp steel work smashed it's way through the side of my helmet the SHARP rating would be irrelevant.

The Schuberth C4-Pro-Uni gets poor results in the French version of SHARP

https://www.certimoov.com/en

Despite being French they are kind enough to offer the website in an English version.

Now it is possible that two independent testing facilities in different countries have, for some nefarious reason, colluded against a manufacturer from a third country and in the process placed motorcyclist at increased risk or maybe, just putting it out there, the Schuberth lid is not actually that good.
    Last edited by MGD109; 1 Week Ago at 05:43 AM.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

17. Likes BoxerBits liked this post

1 Hour Ago
    Seeing that SHARP rates helmets that cost 50 Pounds 5 Stars tells me it is not the rating I should be looking at on this side of the Pond. Thank you for all of your replies though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2