BMW F800 Forum banner

New Helmet Help

7K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  audra84 
#1 ·
so Royce thinks my head is worth saving - i'm not so sure, but then again, it could potentially save someone's lunch to not see my noggin splattered on the road - so .......

i'm currently riding a Shoei TZ-R from the 60's i think (ok, maybe not quite that old) and i really like it - so the next logical contender would be another Shoei - probably an RF-1200 -

anyone experienced with that particular lid ? or any other suggestions ?

thanks -

#2 ·
I've had 2 RF-1200s and they were great. I have since moved on to the Neotech and much prefer it. Modular is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daboo
#6 ·
I've broken 2 helmets in crashes. A RF200 Shoei and a Scorpion 1000. They both served me well. You can spend gobs on the latest and greatest.
Buy what you want but they are all approved helmets. A fancy paint job and accolades from the maker don't make a better helmet.
One cost $200 and the other on sale for $100 worked the well. The rest is BS.
It may be marginally more comfortable but is worth several hundred dollars?
If you have never crash tested a helmet you have no idea.

#7 ·
My 0.05$. I have used HJC modular helmets, 2 in 12 years. Both worked well. I also have a Vemar given as a gift. I did not like the Vemar as it was a bit narrow, I have a round head it seems. I needed a new helmet to go with my new Sena. My HJC's are oldish. I retired the oldest and will use the newer for winter as it has a PinLock. Anyway, Cycle Gear was having a sale, 119 USD.....Bilt Modular (house brand), I went to store and tried it on, not had one before and didn't what head shape they were. I was prepared to dislike it as the price seemed to go to be true. I fit well, it has a nice skirt to keep the wind noise down, a built in sun shade, decent venting. I have ~2k miles on it and am very happy with it. It is also PinLock ready as the shield has the pins just no inner visor thingy (tech term) [:D]. It has speaker wells cut in the inner liner and the Sena installed easily. No I have not crash tested it nor do I plan to just for y'all to see the results! [:D] Yes it is a budget helmet but I was really happily surprised by the fit and finish and would purchased another one. I have the Sena SMH10R on this helmet and it installed nicely on/in it.

~James~

#8 ·
Yeah, ease of on and off is a big one. Plus I like to flip it up at slow speeds or stop lights when it's hot out. Flipped up also is great to talk to anyone without taking it off. You can stop to get gas and not feel the need to take it off. The only downside is that they're typically a bit louder at highway speed.

Whatever you get, just make sure it has a pin lock, built in visor, and quick release strap. Those three options are a must for me.

The last question is color. My first 2 helmets (20 years ago) were black. Never again! Too hot. Both my RF-1200s were metalic silver (platinum?) which I liked. This past time I went with white and love it. Nice and cool in the sun and very visible without being obnoxious.

Obviously a lot of what I mention above is personal preference, so they are just my opinions. And opinions are like butt holes... We all have them!

Reactions: notacop
#9 ·
Lonnie, pretty good advice from all the posters, but remember: almost everything you have heard is someone's opinion and, like others have said, everyone has an opinion and they all smell the same.

Over the years and miles, I have used all types and brands. Comfort turns out to be my deciding factor. Light-weight and ventilation and minimal wind noise cause me to open my checkbook. Flip-ups (modulars) are too noisy for me nowadays, and too heavy also. But, they certainly are the most convenient because you don't have to take them off until you go to bed. Your individual head shape is important to fit and comfort. Find a dealer that can spend some time with you and find the helmet that really fits you properly. That way you will wear it more and have no pressure points after a few hours of travel. My current lid is an Arai Signet (? I think that is the model name?). But HJC was good for me as well as Schubert. BTW, I agree that white is probably the best color for both coolness and visibility.

I believe you get what you pay for, so I am willing to pay a bit more for the right helmet. After all, alongside tires, the helmet is THE most important bit of gear you can own.

Good luck.

#10 ·
maybe i should consider this guys method >
PeterW says:
21st May, 2019 at 2:19 am
Helmets only start getting comfortable after about 10,000 miles. I only wear other guys’ well worn lids for that reason. New ones take too long to break in. When another guy is ready to get rid of his lid because he thinks it stinks is when it’s ready for me to get in and stay in for long rides. The only helmets that I have found that are easy to get in, right out of the box, are the ones that stink like sweat. If I can’t smell it, I won’t wear it. I like Icon helmets because I can actually see if they are used enough to put on and stay in. Hydradry padding starts out a pristine white. The best hydradry padding will have turned a dark grey with highlights of yellow and brown from sweat and skin oils. Some guys stink more than others in their lids. I rather like wearing another guy’s helmet stink, and will choose a lid I can smell from a distance over one that I can’t. It may sound gross, but it’s not. The first time you get in another guy’s dirty lid, you’ll discover how much better it is than getting in one that’s new. The well worn Arai and Icon helmets on eBay, costing about $60, including shipping, are really great. They look so cool on the outside, and they feel and smell hot on the inside.

LOL !

#13 ·
I don't believe YouTube videos any more than I believe network news items. I don't believe in conspiracies. I do believe I have a fair amount of common sense and I believe science over superstition and I believe in critical thinking.

You have been offered a lot of opinions about motorcycle helmets. Make your own decision. Good luck.

#15 ·
Another +1 for modular, easier to get on and off, handy if you use toll roads and need to talk to somebody at a booth. New to me this year has been a Caberg Tourmax. The Adventure/Motocross peak is a life saver when you suddenly get a low sun moment.

#16 ·
If safety is your central concern, I recommend looking at the UK's SHARP ratings. DOT and Snell provide little insight into relative safety in my opinion (case in point my full face HJC IS-17 and my friend's skull cap are both DOT approved, Snell of course has a higher standard)

I had a friend who crashed (racing) with a very expensive helmet. Impact occurred on the side of the helmet and he suffered a moderate head injury as a result (on the side of his head).

Out of curiosity, I compared his $900 to my $250 HJC touring helmet and it faired worse for side impacts. In addition to all the other considerations, I now consult the SHARP rating when considering a new helmet.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

#17 ·
+1 on looking at the SHARP ratings when considering a Modular helmet (FYI, they call Modular helmets "System" helmets on the SHARP web site). My fear has always been a modular helmet popping open in an impact, exposing my face. A review of the SHARP ratings for all modular helmets will show that only one manufacturer has NEVER had one of their helmets pop open during SHARP testing (Nolan/Xlite) and that is why I've owned 3 of them. They may not be perfect helmets, but they are the only ones I trust my head to.

Another benefit of Modulars is if you wear glasses - it's so much easier to put on the helmet. And the ability to raise the flip-front and converse at stops without removing the helmet is wonderful also.

Reactions: Claudio_S
#18 ·
@Elizdad : Helmets have changed a lot since your TZ-R was manufactured.

A good helmet is one that fits. If it doesn't fit your head, it's not a good fit for you. I remember trying on a highly-rated (and very expensive) Schuberth flip-up helmet at a dealer, and I couldn't get it off my head fast enough. Next to it was a Nolan N-100, and I've been wearing Nolan flip-up helmets ever since. Flip-ups are much easier to get on an off. The main dig against flip ups is that they tend to be noisier, but designs have improved a lot over the past 20 years. I think my first flip-up was a Shoei, and it was LOUD.

Go to a dealer or a shop such as Cycle Gear, and start trying on helmets. You will reject some immediately. When you find one that feels good, sit down for 10-20 minutes. Bring something to read to pass the time. It should feel snug, with no hot spots. A helmet that starts out loose, will only get looser as it breaks in. You can compensate to some degree by adding padding, but it's better to start off with something that fits properly from the get go.

Then go to another dealer/shop with a different selection of brands, and repeat the same process until you find something you think you can live with. Buy it where you tried it on. You might save a few bucks by mail order, but dealers and private shops need to stay in business.

#20 ·
i always try to give my business to local retailers if possible - i called the honda dealer a few days ago and the response i got was " yes, we carry a few low end helmets " ok, thanks -

i will check out the 2 others and see what they have - even if they wind up needing to order something, i'd rather go that route -

#23 ·
That response from the Honda dealer is one case where I might buy online. But I hate to buy online and then when it arrives and does not fit correctly (notice I said "when" not "if") and I have to send it back. A bit of a hassle and I get fed up with that process pretty quickly. I am fortunate in two ways: (1) I have a terrific dealer (Engle Motors) who carries a nice stock of gear and will order any specific color I want, and (2) there are lots of places in the KC area with helmets for sale so I have always been able to at least find a specific brand/model to try on for fitment.

#22 ·
I only wear RF-1200's now. Most comfortable for my head. Have used modulars in the past, but as another poster said...noisy.

A tip: I always wear a lightweight silk balaclava on my head...always. Two reasons: It makes the helmet quieter, and it keeps the helmet clean. Hand wash the balaclava in mild soap and cool water once in a while, and your helmet is always pristine and fresh.

#25 · (Edited)
There is one factor that has been left out; noise. Last year I decided to get a premium helmet, as I have always gotten by with cheap ones. I read dozens of reviews and tried on even more helmets. I settled on Neotek II. It met all my criteria so I paid my @$600 and headed off down the freeway. I immediately discovered that it was very noisy. The store would not take it back, so I contacted Shoei. Long story short, Shoei was no help, so I am stuck with a very noisy helmet. I now use either noise-canceling earbuds or earplugs they help but don't solve the problem. I would highly advise that you purchase a helmet from a dealer that will let you try it out before you hand over the cash.
Randy

#27 ·
There is one factor that has been left out; noise. Last year I decided to get a premium helmet,as I have always gotten by with cheap ones. I read dozens of reviews and tried on even more helmets. I settled on Neotek II. It met all my criteria so I paid my @$600 and headed off down the freeway. I immediately discovered that it was very noisy. The store would not take it back, so I contacted Shoei. Long story short, Shoei was no help, so I am stick with a very noisy helmet. I now use either noise cancelling ear buds or ear plugs they help but don't solve the problem. I would highly advise that you purchase a helmet from a dealer that will let you try it out before you hand over the cash.
Randy
Engle Motors in KC excels in more than one way. I have gone riding in a very expensive helmet of theirs that I was considering purchasing. They also let me test ride any bike I have asked to ride. Might even give me a loaner while mine is in the shop overnight ... except they have never had to keep my bike overnight cuz they fix it while I wait. Every time. Man, I love those folks.

#26 ·
In general flip-up-style helmets have a reputation for being noisier than full face helmets.

Reactions: PhotoAl
#29 ·
I switched to modular in my late 30's and never looked back!

#31 ·
Elizdad, totally support your efforts to check locally or through a shop before going online. Having just retired as a long time small business owner, helping customers and getting their support is a struggle with today's Amazon habits. I try to buy oil, filters, parts, gear, etc. from shops in Wenatchee or Moses Lake. I go through Moses Lake quite often and Experience Powersports has a pretty good shop. A bit of a ride for ya, but might be worth a call to see what they have in stock. They always have a good inventory of motorcycles, not sure about gear or helmets towards the end of season.

#33 ·
Shoei GT Air, because I have found no quieter helmet and it has an internal flip down sun visor, and I was able to move my Sena SMH10 from my previous helmet with ease. My2cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.