Continental Road Attack 3 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I didn't see a thread about this tire......so I started this one if anyone wants to discuss this tire.

I just put on a new Continental Road Attack 3 on the rear of my F800GT. I have never had this tire before and wanted to try it. It replaces a Michelin Road 5 and it was a very good tire and lasted 9,000 miles for me.

I used the GT version as that is what BMW mounts on the new bikes....and Daboo believes the stiffer carcass improves the tire mileage of the standard version. It mounted easily and balanced fine. I tried something new and just left the weights on the wheel from the previous tire balance - I figured most of the weight was required to offset the air pressure sender.....turns out I was correct as I only had to add about 1/4 ounce of weight a few inches from the other weights to get it balanced.

I have a bead breaker, rims protectors and tire irons, and I made a mandrel to hold the R1200 and R800 wheels and I use a rig with bearings to hold the wheel while I am getting it balanced. The tire mounted so much easier than mounting tubed tires on spoked rims!

I will report on the tire as I get some miles on it - I am going to Jasper, Arkansas next month to ride for a week, and that should be a good workout for the tire!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6594.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	367651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6595.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	367653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6577.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	367655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6597.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	367659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6592.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	367657  

2. Thanks Richard230, Sundog52, Willy thanked for this post
    Likes Elizdad liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10 Hours Ago
    The Continental road attack tyres are known to be a soft compound and don't get a lot of mileage, especially if you are frequently 'enjoying' the bike. The GT version of a tyre usually is for a stiffer sidewall on heavier bikes which can carry more weight, it may be a bit too stiff for the GT as it is not that heavy and the rear is relatively light.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Time will tell what kind of mileage these are capable of. Continental claims the RA3 are supposed to provide more mileage than the Road Attack 2 or 2 Evo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RA3.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	367681  

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

09-15-20
    I have these tyres on my F800GT, but not the GT version of the tyres, just the standard sizes and standard version. I've had them on the bike for approx 2000-3000 miles now. I generally only ride when the weather is good, and my journeys are mostly for fun. The bike handles great with these tyres, I feel confident on the bike to lean over to the edge of the rear tyre. Handling and stability are great. I've also been caught out in the rain a few times, and I didn't really notice any difference in grip or handling, but when its wet, I take it easy anyway.
    I would agree that this tyre is on the sporty side, and this suites me very well, as I don't do a lot of mileage, and when I'm out I like to have fun. I generally ride the bike on well surfaced country roads, out of town. So if you like enjoying good amounts of lean in the corners, you'll like these tyres. Powering through and out of corners is fine too, I've not noticed any issues doing this. I think the compound of the tyre on the edges is definitely softer than the middle, as my read tyre on the sides looks worn, but still has a good profile.
    Braking, I've not had any problems too. I have progressive springs in the front forks, and dive is reduced considerably, so I can brake hard and late if I want to. Generally I don't brake so hard, but with the springs the bike doesn't rock when I release the brakes and tip the bike in. So I can extract yet more fun from the bike. Comfort hasn't noticably reduced with the springs either, but they are harder of course.
    Anyway, if you are into sporty riding, enjoying lean in the corners, and nice neutral handling that gives you the confidence to be able to lean over to the edge, you'll like these tyres.

8. Likes Richard230, Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Comparing tires is both meaningless...and meaningful. It's meaningless in that the kind of mileage I get, won't necessarily be what you'll get if you live in Texas. Our temperatures are cooler, and our road surface is probably different than what you'd find riding in Texas.

But it is meaningful when comparing tires that have been used on the same bike on the same roads. This tire has 9000 miles on it now, and looks good for another 2-3000 miles. It'll get flatter than some will accept, but I'll keep it on till I need to change it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200924_175940.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	344.0 KB 
ID:	368701

I've tried the OEM Metzeler Z8, two sets of Metzeler Roadtec 01s, two sets of Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs and now two sets of Continental Roadattack III tires. Out of the group, I'll stick with the Continental RAIIIs. They are confidence inspiring. They warm up immediately. And it looks like they will last well.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    3 Hours Ago
    "I've tried the OEM Metzeler Z8, two sets of Metzeler Roadtec 01s, two sets of Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs and now two sets of Continental Roadattack III tires. Out of the group, I'll stick with the Continental RAIIIs. They are confidence inspiring. They warm up immediately. And it looks like they will last well.

Chris"

so could one safely say you're not a Michelin man ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizdad View Post
    so could one safely say you're not a Michelin man ?
    Hah! I can see where you'd come to that conclusion, but it isn't that at all. I just like to get some value for my money. I've never seen anyone walk up to my bike, look at the sidewall on my tires and comment on the name written there.

I just updated my Tire Prices spreadsheet. I do it a couple times a year because I go through a couple sets of tires a year. And rebates change through the summer, which changes the sort order on the spreadsheet.

Here's a snapshot of it.

Name:  2020-09-25 Tire Prices.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  210.0 KB

Right now, for the next few days, the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 is a phenomenal value. Buying a complete set of those tires, is less than the cost of the Michelin Road 5 rear tire alone. And I found the Dunlop RS3 tire good enough to buy it twice. I probably would've kept buying it, but I wanted to try the Continental RA3.

I've ridden a F800GT with the Michelin Road 5 tires installed. It was a great tire, but not anything better than the Dunlop, or Metzeler or Continental tires I've also tried. Turn in was different, but neither good nor bad in my opinion. It just was.

Look at the Owner Ratings. Granted that all the reviews are a little bogus...the owner rated the tires with maybe 100 miles on them. Of course he likes them. What would you expect? But the new Pirelli Angel GT II is rated at 4.2 by owners, verses the older version being rated at 4.8. Hmmm... And the Michelin Road 5 is rated at 4.7, while the Continental RA 3 is rated as a 4.9. The same prejudices are there for both tires, but for some reason the owners who bought the Conti's like them marginally more while the tire costs less. Add in the normal summer rebate, and the Conti RA3 is also a great value.

I rode in the summer of 2019 with some extremely fast riders with the Continental RA3 tires. They were confidence inspiring. My "chicken strips" were about a quarter inch...almost non-existent. I can't figure out why I'd want to spend more money to buy a tire that won't perform any better.

Chris

Real Name
    David Kelly
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 FJR1300A
    Motorcycle
    '09 FE450
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    T30 Evos were $170/set on closeout from Cycle Gear a few weeks ago. My Yamaha dealer bought a bunch selling for $150/set. Rocky Mountain has long been an excellent source of T30 and T31, the first place I look.

Seems odd you show the front tire costing more than the rear. That is not my observation.
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A; 2016 Beta 430RS; 2007 BMW F800S; 2009 Husaberg FE450; 2016 Subaru Outback; 2018 F150; 2013 Tesla Model S 85; 1983 Porsche 928S; 9 cats 

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    That's what I saw at the time, and I thought it strange too. The GT version is still priced like that for the front, but is also listed as out of stock. The price is now $70 for the front.

I'm pretty much convinced to stay with the Continentals, so for me, the price of a Bridgestone is a moot point. On a previous bike, I went through just about every tire that was sold for it. I thought I was doing the forum members a favor by trying them all and giving them feedback. In the end, I went back to the first tire I swapped out for the OEMs. The other tires weren't bad...but they cost more and gave no better (and possibly less) performance.

10 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Snip

I rode in the summer of 2019 with some extremely fast riders with the Continental RA3 tires. They were confidence inspiring. My "chicken strips" were about a quarter inch...almost non-existent. I can't figure out why I'd want to spend more money to buy a tire that won't perform any better.

Chris
    I had this issue a couple of months ago when it came to replacing the tyres on my bike. I currently run Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, they are a fantastic tyre from a riding aspect, but with mediocre tyre life (but that's not why i buy them). When they were due for replacement i was considering the Michelin Road 5, but when looking at pricing the difference is £100 (Current 2CT set i can get fitted for £180). I considered it for trying something new and i might get more life out of them, but the increase would have to be nearly 50% more. I skipped buying them this year but i think i'll look at them again and see if they're a little more competitively priced.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I got the front Road Attack 3 mounted on Friday and was able to get a couple hundred miles in over the weekend. Riding on brand new tires is always a joy....the bike feels brand new!