BMW F800 Forum banner

Hi from Rugby UK

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Flook 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone
I've been lurking on this forum for a few months now so hi time I said hello and introduced myself. After a gap of some 30 years I've dipped my toes in the water and returned to motorcycling with the purchase of a 2008 F800 s. (my wife thinks I'm having an end of life crisis)...
My 1st ride, to the mot station scared me silly however, by the time I got back home I was wearing wide grin as I wobbled back onto my drive. I'm now learning to ride again, so far I've managed around 500 of mainly commuting miles, the longest ride being around 140 miles.

Terry

#8 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome. I've been making the most of the fine weather and clocking up a few more miles, I love the bike on an open road but finding it difficult to to maintain a steady 30 or even 40 around town, the power is either on or off with the slightest movement of the throttle.
Rob, a coffee sounds a great idea, drop me a message sometime

#9 ·
it is a very responsive engine, and the smallest tweaks of the throttle make all the difference. For 30 i generally sit in 2nd, and 40 in 3rd. That seems to sit the engine around 3k RPM IIRC, which makes it a little less jerky with small throttle movements.

#11 ·
Late getting here to the party, but made it.

Welcome to the site Terry, Rugby is not too far away from me, a nice ride over sometime maybe. I came back to biking after a 35/7 year lay off back in 2003. How motorcycles had changed from the 60's, gone are the flat seats and easy throttle, to angle seats sensitive throttle and now mad and bad drivers of motor vehicles (cagers). Yup, a whole different world has now opened up, but we and by we I mean everyone on this site form what every country is here to help and assist as and when you may need it.

May I ask, what colour S do you have, the red or yellow. Nice bike, the S as are all the F8 series.

Flook[8D]

Reactions: Terry_53
#12 ·
Hi.... don't you just hate passwords!!, anyways its been a week or two since I was last here sooo thanks to all for you greetings. I haven't had much spare time for riding but have managed to spend a few hours dong some maintenance, namely belt tension and the rear hub, I didn't know it was a problem area until I read some old posts about it, my rear hub was so badly corroded in the swinging it was impossible to move it, several days of spraying it with WD40 and prying the joint open with a hefty screwdriver were all in vain, finally it gave in after taking my trusty Thor mallet and a lump of ally to it. Courtesy of a BMW dealer and Fleabay I got a low mileage hub, i cleaned the hole it sits in with emery cloth gave it a good helping of copperslip and put it back together.

Guess what.......the belt still runs to the outer edge of the rear "sprocket" !!!!!

Terry

#15 ·
Terry, that would be an idea, young Paulius is always welcome, as he knows.

I have just had the rear wheel bearings replaced for the second time, the first I was covered by the cover that had world wide as they were having too many failures years back. The belt I bought from Amazon at a much reduced cost, all work carried out by Ian Joyce of Bike Works including service at a reasonable price as well. Ian is an ex BMW bike works technician, and I have ben with him for years for my bike service.

I confess I am a fair weather rider, don't mind the chill's of the winter day's though. I am also retired and getting on a bit so it is virtually any day unless I have appointments elsewhere. Otherwise a possible meet up at Jack Hills, or if any one a fancies a bit further for a personal mini ride to the Long Itch Diner at Long Itchington. I can give details if required, about and hour and ten minutes for Paulius and I and if Nigel from St Neots wants to come along even better.

You may want to continue this chat via the East Midlands F8 Club in the Group's section, I will do a copy and past of the above in there so we can all have a private chat about it'

Flook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.