Play in front brake discs - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    Hey all!
    I recently noticed a bit of noise coming from the frontend of my 2009 F800GS. I took it into the dealership (for some unrelated work), and asked them to check out the noise while they were at it. They told me that the rotors were "loose" and that I needed a replacement (for which they were asking some astronomical sum). I told them that I will pass on it for now, and wanted to seek a second opinion. I took a video, what do you guys think? (I'm new here so can't post links, so please add www and .com)
    youtube /watch?v=eHcm9AyRzfM
    Thanks!
    -Michiel

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    I should also note that the bike stops just fine, no complaints about the brakes otherwise.

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. LikesMichiel, ZeeAviatrix liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Do you know if your discs have ever been replaced? i would think if they were original they are probably beyond the min thickness.

Is is that loose on all the bobbins on both sides? It sounds/looks like a lot - do you know if they are the original discs?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

2 Weeks Ago
    Not sure if they're original or if they've been replaced. I don't have callipers, but there's not much of a lip on the discs at all so I imagine they're still within spec as far as thickness is concerned. It is that loose on both sides, and all the way around though.

1 Hour Ago
    How many miles? Mine had almost 50k miles when I sold the bike and still had 30% left. As for the wobble and noise, if it's the same as seen in the video above then it's totally normal for the 800GS's, annoying, but normal.

2 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    How many miles? Mine had almost 50k miles when I sold the bike and still had 30% left. As for the wobble and noise, if it's the same as seen in the video above then it's totally normal for the 800GS's, annoying, but normal.
    It's got about 77000km. No idea if these are the original rotors or replacements, but they are OEM (Brembo branded). I've got a set of Arashi replacements in the mail now

If you need to pose such questions and you don't have the required tools perhaps you should rethink doing work on your bike's most critical system yourself.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

1 Week Ago
    These are "floating" rotors, and over time, the bobbins wear, and a little bit of looseness is normal.

Replacing the rotors is pretty straightforward. You must have a heat gun to soften the Loctite. After removing the screws, clean the male and female threads with acetone to remove old Loctite. Use Loctite Blue (or equivalent for reassembly. A torque wrench is another essential tool. The whole job should take less than an hour. Unless they have been recently replaced, change the pads at the same time. If the pads are fresh, sand them lightly with 100 grit garnet paper on a flat surface (such as a pane of glass) to deglaze, then clean thoroughly with brake parts cleaner.

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    It doesn't look like a safety issue to me, although they are quite loose compared to my own. I've read that a dab of silicone goo into each bobbin / rotor point will do much to lessen the racket./ Greg

21 Hours Ago
    I put black silicone in every little space between rotor and hub. The front brake is silent now and brakes great.
    What boders me now is the chain noise when it hits the swim arm. The slack is well in specs

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by lukin1977 View Post
    I put black silicone in every little space between rotor and hub. The front brake is silent now and brakes great.
    What boders me now is the chain noise when it hits the swim arm. The slack is well in specs
    Our chains do that too, VERY objectionable rattle that only disappears under acceleration, reappears when cruising at slower speed, never hear it when above 40 km/hr +/-.
    Greg

Real Name
    Sophie
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Hi, Michiel,

FYI, my husband had the exact same problem (and noise) with his K1200 and found out he had to replace the rotors. He bought them from A.M. Motor in Italy off eBay for $337.80 including shipping and tax. BMW wanted $900! Rotors came with hardware and took one week to get here. They're Brembo rotors which is the OEM. 5mm by 320mm, probably the same as on our F800s.

Hope this helps anyone that may experience the same problem depicted precisely in Daboo's video!

All the best...