Fuel Pump "Calibration"? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    David Bucher
    09-30-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    After fitting a new aftermarket fuel pump on my 2009 ST, the gas gauge and the computer info indicators of remaining miles to empty, useage, etc. don't seem to be functioning properly. Bike runs fine. I'm sure that I installed the pump assembly properly and that the fuel level float arm was free. However the Haynes manual notes that "If a new fuel pump is fitted the machine must be taken to a BMW dealer so that the engine management adaption values can be reset to recognise the new pump." Before I pull the pump to double check my installation, can someone explain exactly what that Haynes advice means? And, is a trip to the dealer really necessary?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

That advice anticipates that the replacement fuel pump creates a different amount of fuel pressure than the old one so the engine management system should reset its adaptations to "learn" the new parameters. A GS-911 or the Motoscan app can so instruct the ECU in lieu of the dealer.

That being said your problem sounds more like an issue with the fuel level float mechanism.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Claudio
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDB View Post
    After fitting a new aftermarket fuel pump on my 2009 ST, the gas gauge and the computer info indicators of remaining miles to empty

BMWRoadster is correct. The pump would not have an effect on your gas gauge or the statistics. Most likely the float maybe being interfered with or the electrical contact relating to the float has been affected inadvertently during the install. Definitely pull the pump out and check your installation.
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    When you have it pulled out check the fuel gauge reading while manually moving the float up and down.
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

Real Name
    Cramer
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Mine gauge stopped working many years ago and it turned out being one of the wires getting caught on the float pivot point. I bent them out to the side, put the whole unit back in the tank, and it's worked perfectly since.

Hopefully it's that simple for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    David Bucher
    09-30-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    I removed the pump assembly and bent the arm slightly away from the direction of the adjoining tank wall. After replacing it, everything seems to be working as it should. That float arm wire is really hard. Can't see how it might have got bent when I was refitting the pump assembly. My best guest is that in trying to manipulate the pump assembly through 9 dimensions while struggling to properly seat it with that God-awful gasket, it got hung up somewhere it shouldn't have been and was simply stuck on full. Glad you talked me into pulling the pump again before I went running to the dealer.

9. Likes ccramerusc, Claudio_S liked this post