SSB F800R crash bars on F800GT? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    SSB is a Japanese company that has a pretty good reputation for their crash bars within the Japanese moto gymkhana community - I was looking for a set of crash bars for my F800GT and saw that while they don't make one for the GT, they do make one for the F800R. I emailed their customer service to ask if they could fit on a GT and their reply was that they should fit, but I'm still a bit unsure - does anyone here have any insight on this? Frame-wise, is the F800R essentially the same as a GT sans fairing?

I can't post a link to the SSB bars due to post count, but for reference you should be able to find them by Googling "BMW F800R SSB Crash Guard Protection Cage".

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I have no input on your question. I did however, just install the Wunderlich bars on my F800GT. The instructions were completely inadequate. But, I got them on, they are very solid and look good. I took pics, and plan to write up some instructions at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes doctordoom liked this post

1 Week Ago
    If SSB's F800R bars can't fit then I would probably just go with Wunderlich's bars, so good to know that they're solid. I just wish Wunderlich had designed them to be more similar to police-spec since police crash bars seem to be more protective in tip-over scenarios.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    John
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by e30guy View Post
    I have no input on your question. I did however, just install the Wunderlich bars on my F800GT. The instructions were completely inadequate. But, I got them on, they are very solid and look good. I took pics, and plan to write up some instructions at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi e30guy glad to hear you successfully installed your engine bars on your F800GT, I am considering this myself but comments about poor instructions and having to cut the fairing about, make me a bit apprehensive!
    I would be very interested to hear your write up and pictures , thanks for your post, cheers John.

14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordoom View Post
    Hi e30guy glad to hear you successfully installed your engine bars on your F800GT, I am considering this myself but comments about poor instructions and having to cut the fairing about, make me a bit apprehensive!
    I would be very interested to hear your write up and pictures , thanks for your post, cheers John.
    Hey John, sending you a pm: short version- don’t let the bad instructions hold you back. Once you figure it out it’s not too bad. After install they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Real Name
    John
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Thanks e30guy! I have ordered the engine bars from Nippy Norman in Devon, first benefit will be reduced faring damage in case of SAD! Also on longer trips I find the riding position a bit cramped so fitting highway pegs will allow me to stretch my legs. Thanks for your input, cheers John.

14 09 20 follow up report, sadly total failure! Dismantled all the fiddly faring panels but failed to undo the large T50 bolt on the left that is part of the engine mounting to the frame, unfortunately in my effort to free it the Torx splines in the head of bolt stripped without the slightest turn, how is one meant to undo it? Doesn't seem to be designed to ever be undone!
    My next thought was to mount the bars just on the top two smaller bolts and see if someone with more ingenuity could free it, I then needed to undo the T50 bolt that holds the strut to the lower left hand faring where the bottom of the engine bars need to be mounted, same again the bolt was extremely tight but I was able to turn it fractionally, sprayed WD40 behind it and jiggled it but the Torx splines failed after half a turn .
    I was surprised that there are only 2 mounting points on each side that actually secure the bars to the bike, how much support can the floppy bar across the top and the ill fitting spigot at the bottom give?
    Looks like I'm going to have to live without engine bars! Don't let me discourage anyone else , cheers John.
    Last edited by doctordoom; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:17 PM.

15 Hours Ago
    ordered crazy iron from Russia and installing today. I’ll be cutting holes in the plastics so I will head to the hardware store in the morning for the bits. I too am excited to have bars to fix highway pegs onto. Not wanting to lay my bike down in fear of breaking lights or anything is an annoyance. Dropping a bike isn’t a bike deal per say, but breaking parts in the process is a deal breaker. Also taking the plastics off these bikes is not as quick as taking them off r bikes I have had. Once the bars are on then it’s a production just to get the plastics off for this or that. I’ll use anti seize for all the crash bar bolts because I have had to work on bikes with crash bars before to do a simple job and taking the bars on and off turns a simple task into an hour long project. Especially if the bars have been banged on at all. Then they can be a pain in the $&@? to just get back on the way they started.