BMW F800 Forum banner

Advice on a 2013 F800GS for sale

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  chupa88 
#1 ·
I have a buddy of mine that has a 2013 BMW F800GS that he wants to sell me. It has been in storage for since 2014, so mileage is sitting around 2k. The issues that I see is that the fuel, oil, coolant have been sitting stagnant all this time. He wants around $6,000 for. It comes with some MODs and side containers. Any idea on if this is a good deal and if changing/flushing out the fuel, oil, coolant, and whatever else needs to be switched out will be worth it? Thanks!

#2 ·
Sitting in a storage space for a long time Stuff gets crudded up from non use. You fuel and water and oil yup. Old tires and rubber bits get tired.Steering head bearings. But all that may be wakened from it's long slumber and work just fine. Barn finds often work with surprisingly little effort. Don't trust the battery either.

#3 ·
I can't comment on the price as you have not identified the market. Take a moment to update your profile.

As Notacop has said, everything fluid should be flushed. Thoroughly.
Everything organic should be inspected and considered for replacement, including the tires.

#4 ·
Low mileage sounds tempting,,. The worst thing you can do is get it running before you change the fluids, brake fluid, should be on the list as well,,. It might be worth changing the fluids and then running it for a short period of time and then do it again,,. Fluids filters and so on aren't that bad of an expense if you can do it yourself however it can add up if you get the dealership involved,,.

I dealt on a 650GS with similar history, the battery had been tended and ran now and again, for 9 years,. Very few miles,,. My offer fell through and I met the guy that bought it 9 months later on a road trip,,. He went through the same exercise as described on this thread and the bike was like brand new and problem free,,!!

#5 ·
With not real support for this statement ... I'd be worried about the fuel system.
Pump and injectors mainly...

Is that much of a problem in long-sitting bikes?

Reactions: Runmyownlife
#6 ·
Fuel, especially as depending what it is can start separating after just three months due to the 10% ethanol in many of the brands these days. Ethanol-blended gas usually has a shelf life of up to three months because of the high speed at which ethanol oxidizes. Just don't try to run it like my neighbor did?

Engine oil was clean when they parked it (2000 mi) so a simple change would suffice as some theorize that motor oils do not break down due to sitting, although you will probable get an argument on that?

Also brake fluid can do some funny things, especially with abs systems (expensive to repair). I found some really weird shit going on with the fluid in my five year old 700GS, normally wouldn't leave it this long however thought it had been done previously,,.

Coolant these days is a 5 year product so your not far off on that either, just swap it out and your good to go,,.

#10 ·
I bought an 2009 F650GS with less that 5000 miles from a friend of an acquaintance last year. It suffered a failed ECU on my second ride out and replaced it along with keys and fuel cap and all that with eBay find thru my local independent BMW tech. It sucked but mine is an extremely rare occurrence. In my tech's 20 years of experience, he said mine is only the second case of an ECU failure that he has seen with the GS twins. Once that has been sorted, the bike has been pretty reliable and I've put on over 10k miles on it since. As others have said, changing all the fluids and giving it an once over from a certified tech is worth the money to make sure there are no lingering demons. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.