Accessory Socket cable - where do you come from? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    Hi all - hopefully a quick one here.
    2015 F800GS

Previous owner removed the cable that goes to the back of the accessory socket. (He rewired up a separate USB port elsewhere.) I want to go back to stock. I can't find where he safed-off or pulled the cable, and I need to either buy or make one that taps (or plugs?) into the original spot, or use the canbus secondary port that's on top of the battery. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I can't speak specifically to this item but experience tells me to look along other wires - the wiring harness collects additional circuits as it snakes it way through the chassis.
    Last edited by Runmyownlife; 09-14-20 at 11:06 PM.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

Real Name
    Guenther
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    I am not clear what your situation is.

Did the previous owner remove the accessory socket and replaced it with a USB charger?

Or, do you still have the accessory socket but it is no longer connected and you can't find the wire that plugged into it?

Pictures?

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    The latter. Have the OEM socket, but whatever leads to it was safed off or tucked somewhere. So I'd appreciate any pointers to where to look for it, or where to look for an empty female socket on the harness so I can buy or fabricate the cable.

Real Name
    Guenther
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    Where is the USB charger connected to right now?

The wire to the OEM socket goes to the ZFE module under the air intake silencer.

The connector to plug in to the OEM socket is available from electronic stores.

Manufacturer: TE Connectivity
    Male housing part #1-1703498-1
    Pin inserts part #571-1718760-1-LP

If you're in the US look at www.mouser.com.

If you don't find the cable you can buy a pigtail for the GPS connector and connect the TE connector from above to the other end.

I would look harder to find the truth of the puzzle where the PO left that cable.

/Guenther

8. Likes existent80 liked this post

2 Weeks Ago
    Ok so thanks to Gunther for pointing me in the right direction. I pulled off enough of the LHS fairings and started feeling around the wiring.
    It was very clear that some portions were not factory wrapped, and I used that to ponder and probe various electric upgrades the PO had done. It was soon very clear that the connector I needed was used to power a dash-mounted voltmeter LED. I undid it (voltmeter not a super helpful tool as it let me down during a battery crap-out earlier this year) and safed off the wires, and clipped in my socket. I'm actually using the Touratech dual USB socket. OEM socket now on fleabay.

But for anyone looking at this thread in future, the socket power does lead up from alongside the black box intake unit.

Real Name
    Guenther
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    I am glad you resolved the puzzle! And thanks for reporting back!

Early on I used a USB charger which plugged straight into the accessory socket. After some driving I realized that the position of the accessory socket with USB charger and USB cables to it was too close to my tank back and any 'mishap' could shear the USB charger out of the socket.

Finally I mounted a USB charger on my handlebar and connected the power for the charger to the GPS plug available near the battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handlebar charger sm.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	368859

/Guenther