BMW F800 Forum banner

Check engine light on, and limp mode.

6K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  DJ123 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I hope you're all well.

My 2006 F800s has the warning triangle and flashing engine light on. It's obviously in limp mode as i'm hitting a rev limiter at around 4.5k rpm.
I took it to my local indi mechanic (very good man) and he plugged in his diagnostic computer. The fault that came up is 'Minimum on right live axle'.
Neither of us have a clue about what that can be!
Has anyone experienced this before?
Could it be the tps, referring to the axle through the throttle body?
There is nothing obviously wrong with the bike. It starts, idles, and rides perfectly until the rev limiter cuts in.
Thanks,
Rich

#5 ·
The fault that came up is 'Minimum on right live axle'.
Hey Rich,

Very odd description. I am going to suggest that the diagnostic is showing incorrect text (but underlying probably seeing the correct code). Use a motoscan or a GS-911 to get the proper details.

Thinking about your symptoms, this is likely a sensor that has gone bad (tps, cam shaft position sensor..etc).

#11 ·
Lowestoft? Over 2 hours ride from here alas. Its likely that you'll need to invest in Motoscan.
Its best to get their obd dongle 'cos its gaurenteed to work.
Set you back about £50 for the dongle and about the same for a full licence and adapter lead.
:)

#24 ·
Not every person is a vehicle master, and it tends to be quite terrifying when your vehicle begins acting bizarre for no evident explanation. One such event would be when limp mode initiates, if your vehicle out of nowhere eased back down, and the 'check motor light' went ahead, you would get stressed and potentially confounded. Well don't stress, we have ordered all the data you need on limp mode so you can plan yourself and expertise to deal with it.

#26 ·
Problem solved!!!

I managed to get the bike to an independent BMW garage a few weeks ago. He put it on the proper GS911 reader and it came back with two errors;
1 - voltage too high, so needed to replace the reg/rec.
2 - IAV values not registering, so needed investigating.

I've replaced the reg/rec. Very easy job. And the running/charging voltage is back to normal.
Today (work gets in the way of bike stuff!) I got the air box off and checked the IAV. The very first thing I noticed was that the electrical plug was disconnected! I'm guessing I hadn't fully clipped it back in after a previous service. Whilst there I checked the hoses etc and everything else looked fine. It's funny that with a completely inactive IAV the engine idle was absolutely fine.
Once back together I gave it a run out. The idle is perfect but there's still a stutter at about 4k revs. The Check Engine light has gone out though.
Is there a period of 're-learning' for the ecu? Should I just put some miles on it and see how it goes?
Although the IAV hoses looked fine, would them collapsing at higher revs cause this stuttering? I'm happy to change them as it's a very easy job. I probably will anyway.
Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.