Michelin Pilot 5 Tires Longevity? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Spec is 36/42, I ran between that and 32/36. Zero difference in road feel or handling. Based on pressure rise for a 'hot' tire there was no difference, I think the stiff GT sidewalls kept the them from heating up enough.
    I'm starting the new non-GT tires at the 36/42 spec and they instantly felt better. I have not gotten in a good run yet though to see what the pressure rise is when hot, but my butt dyno (palm of my hand) says they are warmer after my commute. My last bike (440lbs) got the expected 10%/20% rise in hot pressure running 30/33 for reference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Hours Ago
    I think i might hold on to my pressures until i can get onto a longer ride, and get some good heat into the tyres. Then i'll be able to better judge if the hot pressures/increased pressures reduce ride comfort and handling, and if i do need to reduce my cold pressures by 0.1/0.2 Bar.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

2 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    I think i might hold on to my pressures until i can get onto a longer ride, and get some good heat into the tyres. Then i'll be able to better judge if the hot pressures/increased pressures reduce ride comfort and handling, and if i do need to reduce my cold pressures by 0.1/0.2 Bar.
    Well i've now done about 1K miles on these so far, and they feel much better now. I did drop my cold pressures by 0.1-0.2 Bar (2-3 PSI) F & R, and now when riding (at these cool temps) my riding/'hot' pressure is about 2.6 & 2.8 Bar F & R. The bike feels more stable, less vibrations on badly surfaced roads and seems to conform better to the road surface - i feel like they're now digging in a little better rather than riding on top of the surface.
    The tyre wear i can see on the front edge of the grooves look good and consistent (checking my new rear shock is set up right), and you can see the tacky/pin pricked rubber look on the shoulders after a ride on some twisty roads.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2