BMW F800 Forum banner

When To Say When

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  tvbilld 
#1 ·
I always questioned if I would know when to say when. Today I answered that question. I sold my motorcycle to a couple from Oklahoma and will not replace it. As the trailer pulled away, I realized I wasn't prepared for the emotional fallout. On our honeymoon we rode a motorcycle to Nashville in 1974 and rode together for 35 years. As the trailer pulled away I could remember every trip. I stood in my driveway and cried. Not for the loss of an object. For the memories that object represents. I'm so thankful I have memories so strong and so good and so vivid that my only outlet is to shed tears of joy.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What a way to go, Bill. To be able to watch your last bike disappear over the hill on someone else's trailer, and feel such strong emotion ... is a wonderful statement about your love of the activity of motorcycle riding. I hope I have that kind of ending to the sport. Good luck.

#8 ·
Bill, my first real motorbike was a BSA Bantam.
I was 12 or 13 & the Bantam was a non runner I purchased for $15 dollars of hard earned paper route money.
I learned a a lot getting that bike running, & really enjoyed it.
But I digress...
Over the years my bikes kept getting larger as I grew older.
Now they are getting smaller in my advancing years.
After the F8 I suspect i will get a small Dual Purpose bike, kind of like coming full circle .
But the original fun will still be there.
As your friend I advise you to listen to Arlo Guthrie’s “Motorcycle Song”.
Just Sayin’

#10 ·
Be careful of that three wheeler idea. If you do a motorcycle and sidecar it's a whole new world. Kinda strange too. My rig was a BMW 80/7 with a Ural. A friend had an old Shriners Vespa and weird little tiny sidecar. In the 50's a company in Big Bear, Ca rented Cushmans with sidecars.
Then there are the expensive new 3 wheel devices. Perhaps a bit more conventional motorcycle style operation.

#11 ·
Test rode a Can-Am Spyder and thought was kinda cool. Automatic transmission and reverse. I called the dealer just before I sold the GT and he no longer carries them. The closest dealer is 120 miles. Test rode a Beemer with a sidecar once. Once was enough :)

Reactions: IanA
#14 ·
Bill, I have test-ridden several brands of traditional trikes (1-up, 2-back) and did not like any of them, they felt unstable at anything faster than around town. I have ridden several sidecars and REALLY did not like them. Hard to steer, hard to turn, scary to corner at speed, etc. But when I tested a Spyder it felt right. Then I test-rode the newest Spyder model, the Ryker, and it felt extra right. If/when I reach your decision point, I will either give it up entirely, or I will buy a Ryker.

As for your decision: I believe you know when it's time, and it sounds like you made the correct decision. All the rest of us might think we know better and we can encourage you to try a smaller bike, etc. etc., but ... as you said in your opening post, when it's time, it's time.

Good luck.

#13 ·
@bill - better to know when is the right time and act than to realize it too late. Glad you enjoyed many years of riding and that it was a big part of your life.

Reactions: WildWilly
#16 ·
Rykers are more fun to ride than to watch on video. Your M/C endorsement on your license, plus your motorcycle gear will get you a test ride at any dealership. Don't know how far you are from the KC area, but Reno's Powersports is a popular dealership, been there for years, have carried Spyders since the beginning (at least 10 years), and I have test-ridden almost everything they have available. I have never bought anything from there so I cannot recommend them from that aspect, but they are nice to talk to and hang around.

Good luck.

#18 ·
Rykers are more fun to ride than to watch on video. Your M/C endorsement on your license, plus your motorcycle gear will get you a test ride at any dealership. Don't know how far you are from the KC area, but Reno's Powersports is a popular dealership, been there for years, have carried Spyders since the beginning (at least 10 years), and I have test-ridden almost everything they have available. I have never bought anything from there so I cannot recommend them from that aspect, but they are nice to talk to and hang around.

Good luck.
Thanks Royce. Kanasas City is way too far but there is a dealer in Rapids City, Iowa, which is about 80 miles. Not sure if I want test ride one . . . . . might just be suffering withdrawal symptoms.

#17 ·
These do look pretty cool and are much less costly than the other models. My wife has the RT. It is a neat vehicle for a road trip. Or if you are an idiot and break your hand (like I did a few years ago) and still want to take that road trip to Toronto. Tons of storage and comfort. It lacks sportiness though and the Ryker gives some of that sportiness back to somewhat bridge the two-wheel experience.

Reactions: scf and WildWilly
#20 ·
WildWilly that's a big step we all face at some point. Doesn't mean it's permanent. If your vision and reflexes are still good, you may find a way to enjoy the road again. When I was in my early 20's I was looking for a project and went to look at a FSBO shovelhead. This old biker had more knives and bad tats than I had ever seen, I was scared shitless. Long story short, I ended up buying the bike, but as we were loading it into my pickup this guy starts crying, REALLY crying. As I drove out his driveway he was sitting on a sawhorse wiping tears away. It turned out to be an awesome bike and after 15 years I sold it and it made me pretty sad to see it go. Felt crummy for days. I'm sure it's still out there giving some rider happiness. Like you I still have the memories.

#25 ·
It's hard to decide when to say when. I test rode a Can-Am Spyder last year. It's just not a motorcycle. Thought about it until this spring. Bought a used 2015 Can-Am Spyder f3 s in March. Only put about four thousand miles on it so far it's kind of starting to grow on me. I think I'm up to the point of kind of liking it. But I don't love it yet. I kept the f800st. Not ready to completely give up two wheels yet. If I could just quit falling over when I'm standing still. 😥

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.