Down Shifting Problem Solved - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

20 Hours Ago
    I posted this on the FB group, but I'll post it here as well for future reference.

F800GS 2013, 19,000km Downshifting Problems

Problem;
    Although upshifting was fine, it sometimes wouldn't drop gears from 6th-5th, or 3rd-2nd. I'd pull in the clutch lever and push the gear lever down(moved down freely) but it sometimes took 4 or 5 attempts to get it to downshift. It had been getting progressively worse over the last 2000km.

Checked;
    Chain tension, clutch cable tension, clutch plate thickness, gear cam, stopper spring, gear selector shaft.

Solution;
    Although at first the gear selector shaft looked fine and wasn't bent(often caused by dropping the bike on the left side), on closer inspection I noticed that the downshift side of the claw had worn and had less of a pronounced edge than the upshift side. This is what rotates the notches on the gear cam to change gears, and it looks like it had worn to the point that it couldn't grab the pins enough to rotate it. I ordered a new one from BMW and it arrived in a couple of days. It cost 12,690JPY. It's not too hard to replace. Just remove the clutch cable at the crankcase cover, the sidestand and it's switch, the gear lever and the crankcase cover. Then the gear selector shaft is right in front of you and just pops out. I put my bike on the centerstand and put 2 planks of wood under the crankcase side of the stand to tilt the bike a little. That way I didn't have to drain the oil.

Result;
    I've only had time to go for a short ride since, but I noticed right away that it was running up and down the gears again like new. If you are having problems down shifting, I recommend you check the gear selector shaft, especially the claws.

Hope this helps!

Regards from Japan

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mochigeorge; 09-17-20 at 06:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Excellent diagnosis. I really appreciate the photographs - well done and thank you for sharing.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

4. Likes mochigeorge liked this post

Real Name
    Claudio
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    This needs to go in the hall of wisdom. Well done!!
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

6. Likes mochigeorge liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by mochigeorge View Post
    I posted this on the FB group, but I'll post it here as well for future reference.

F800GS 2013, 19,000km Downshifting Problems

Problem;
    Although upshifting was fine, it sometimes wouldn't drop gears from 6th-5th, or 3rd-2nd. I'd pull in the clutch lever and push the gear lever down(moved down freely) but it sometimes took 4 or 5 attempts to get it to downshift. It had been getting progressively worse over the last 2000km.

Checked;
    Chain tension, clutch cable tension, clutch plate thickness, gear cam, stopper spring, gear selector shaft.

Solution;
    Although at first the gear selector shaft looked fine and wasn't bent(often caused by dropping the bike on the left side), on closer inspection I noticed that the downshift side of the claw had worn and had less of a pronounced edge than the upshift side. This is what rotates the notches on the gear cam to change gears, and it looks like it had worn to the point that it couldn't grab the pins enough to rotate it. I ordered a new one from BMW and it arrived in a couple of days. It cost 12,690JPY. It's not too hard to replace. Just remove the clutch cable at the crankcase cover, the sidestand and it's switch, the gear lever and the crankcase cover. Then the gear selector shaft is right in front of you and just pops out. I put my bike on the centerstand and put 2 planks of wood under the crankcase side of the stand to tilt the bike a little. That way I didn't have to drain the oil.

Result;
    I've only had time to go for a short ride since, but I noticed right away that it was running up and down the gears again like new. If you are having problems down shifting, I recommend you check the gear selector shaft, especially the claws.

Hope this helps!

Regards from Japan

Thanks!
    I’m having the same problem, only with me it just seems to be downshifting from sixth to fifth. I bought the bike used in July. It seems to have improved with different oil change, but I still have the problem from time to time. I searched everywhere I could on the Internet to see if this was a problem for others and just found no reference to it, until now.
    I’ll make sure to tech check my shifter for the same issue and replace the part if it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes mochigeorge liked this post

20 Hours Ago
    Quick Update:
    I've put a few KM's on the bike since changing the selector shaft and it's running as good as new. I've tried to replicate the problem to no avail so I think I can safely say it's fixed.

11. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Video that shows the process of getting to and replacing the shaft and mechanism:
    https://youtu.be/C1Rq5YCP9fE

13. Likes Richard230 liked this post