Seats - which to go for to improve comfort? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Days Ago
    Looking to change my standard 800gt seat for something more comfortable for 5 hour plus rides when it can get quite painful. I love the bike so just want to get it sorted with something stylish and plush and don't want to add any height. I had a BMW comfort seat on my 1200RT which worked well, and I would consider any brand or having mine rebuilt if anyone on here can recommend someone.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    38 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Try an Airhawk cushion. They have a 30 day trial period, from what I understand. If you don't like it, return it.

I finally wore through my first Airhawk. At first, I didn't like it. But that was my fault. I put too much air in it. The trick is to put so little air in it that you don't think it could possibly do any good...then take half of that out.

Optimally, you're looking for just enough air in it to separate the lower and upper material when you're sitting on it. A nice part of that, is unlike gel cushions, sheepskin, etc. you add very very little to the height.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Claudio
    15 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by BmBusa View Post
    Looking to change my standard 800gt seat for something more comfortable for 5 hour plus rides when it can get quite painful. I love the bike so just want to get it sorted with something stylish and plush and don't want to add any height. I had a BMW comfort seat on my 1200RT which worked well, and I would consider any brand or having mine rebuilt if anyone on here can recommend someone.
    Thanks
    I agree, try the airHawk as that is the cheapest/quickest solution. You could also try shimming the front seat bracket slightly to create a more horizontal seating surface (you can't do too much on the F800 seat design but you could maybe get 1/8 or 1/4".

In terms of aftermarket seats, they can be very personal preference things.

I've had Corbin seats on my touring bikes and the shape and firmness of them has allowed for 10+ hour riding days. We have the same Corbin on our 2019 GT that we used since 2007 on our F800ST and its still solid/like new so good durability has been our experience. Many riders feel the Corbin is too stiff, I haven't found this to be the case.
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I have an AirHawk and it made a difference in my standard seat but not enough. Got a comfort seat off of eBay and it worked really well. It seemed to take a few hundred miles to break in. That with the AirHawk gave me a seat I could ride of over 3 hours and 175 miles. Even at the end of the day I it still felt good. There are lots of options out there.

3 Days Ago
    Thanks guys. I hand'nt thought of an Airhawk, so well worth a look. The seats generally fine for normal rides although I like the look of some of the other stuff if it works, but yesterday six hours in two three hour stints and 300 miles, I had to get off only 45 minutes from home it was that painful. Last time I had a seat like that was an old GPz750 UniTrak back in the late eighties. I had to come back from the South of France on that. A journey I still remember vividly only for that reason!

8. Likes Epirus liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Hour Ago
    The nice thing about the Airhawk pad is that not only is it about 1/3 the cost of the cheapest aftermarket seat alternative, but it can be moved from bike to bike in a couple of minutes, should you own more than one motorcycle like me, or can be kept to be used on your next motorcycle purchase, instead of having to give your custom seat to your bike's next owner. And if you are riding along and decide you would like to change your seating position, just pull off the pad, deflate it and stuff it into your luggage or under your jacket.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

2 Hours Ago
    I've got a BMW comfort seat professionally recovered in leather if you're interested.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    With the comfort seat and the AirHawk I have done (more than once) 575 miles followed by 500 miles the next day and then 450 miles the 3rd day. All without any serious un-comfort. Of course everyone is a bit different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. I fond my comfort seat on eBay after looking for a while. In the winter sometimes there are bargains to be had.

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Hours Ago
    Thanks
    Afternoon

If you're going to be doing 5-6 hour rides on a regular basis then I'd agree then a comfort seat or re-work to a standard seat would be a worthy investment. There used to be a few advertised in the back of the BMW club journal so worth asking the same question on their forum.

As an alternative if it's only going to be an infrequent need, I've used the inners from my cycling shorts on a number of occasions while coming home from Wales or further afield. May not work for everyone but it's been fine for me and not much of an expense to try out. Just have a look at the Wiggle site for some decent one's.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

13. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I ordered a OEM Comfort Seat (normal height) and just waiting for it to be delivered. The guy who had this bike before was short and had the seat re-contoured and re-covered. So low I can barely stay in it for more than an hour. I ordered my BMW straight from EUR and it was cheaper than buying in the US. Even Panniers are sometime cheaper than ordering OEM from the US.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Nice! Think you will enjoy it.

As for ordering from EUR be careful with some items. Bought my F800GT used, dealer gave me the tank bag a week or two after I bought it. The front and rear mounts for it had been lost. I bought a set, didn't fit. Spent over an hour working with parts guy sorting thru my bag number. The bag turned out to be a German tank bag and so had different clips to fasten to the mount clips!?!?!?!?!?!? Tried ordering German ones but never came. Finally bought clips from Amazon and had a shoe repair shop replace them. Never had a problem with them. The last number in the part number of the bag (on label inside) was different than the US version. Bag was purchased from the dealer by the previous owner, same dealer I bought it from and that sorted the German vs US difference out. They were clueless as to how they wound up with the German version - 2016 bike so not an early model.

3 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstandsup View Post
    I've got a BMW comfort seat professionally recovered in leather if you're interested.
    I have a 2012 F800GT with a stock seat and it is the only thing that gives me discomfort (except for engine heat on a hot day). Can you please tell me more, including how much you would be willing to part with it for.

Thanks.

2 Days Ago
    I could do with a more comfortable seat which is 15mm, give or take, higher than the standard seat. From what I've read on Airhawks maybe that is not the solution for me as it doesn't give much of a seat height increase. Are there any seat cushions I could be looking at? I've checked eBay for used comfort seats in Europe but can't see any at the moment (except for one which seems to give a 40mm raise, which is too much).

Real Name
    Lonnie
    7 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
    I could do with a more comfortable seat which is 15mm, give or take, higher than the standard seat. From what I've read on Airhawks maybe that is not the solution for me as it doesn't give much of a seat height increase. Are there any seat cushions I could be looking at? I've checked eBay for used comfort seats in Europe but can't see any at the moment (except for one which seems to give a 40mm raise, which is too much).
    i like my bmw std height comfort seat - they do make a tall version you might want to consider -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Hour Ago
    I bet those wooden bead seat coverings that supposedly are recommended by Indian cab drivers are around 15mm thick.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Chris
    38 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
    Are there any seat cushions I could be looking at? I've checked eBay for used comfort seats in Europe but can't see any at the moment (except for one which seems to give a 40mm raise, which is too much).
    Costco has a gel seat cushion for $20 now. It's not for a "motorcycle", but I picked one up thinking that maybe I could cut it down and try it out for a motorcycle seat cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    I bet those wooden bead seat coverings that supposedly are recommended by Indian cab drivers are around 15mm thick.
    There's more than 15,000 cabbies in NYC and many of them use their wooden beaded cushions. Even the Men in Black movie showed the highly valued beaded seat cushion being left behind by the Bug. Stealing the cab was one thing. Stealing that beaded seat cushion was too much, even for an interstellar Bug. All those cabbies can't be wrong.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

21. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Randy
    1 Hour Ago
    They may not be the cheapest, but the best F800 seats come from here:
    https://www.terryscustomseats
    but they are cheaper than Corbin or Sargeant
    Randy
    2010 F800ST 

2 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 View Post
    I have a 2012 F800GT with a stock seat and it is the only thing that gives me discomfort (except for engine heat on a hot day). Can you please tell me more, including how much you would be willing to part with it for.

Thanks.
    I'll send you a PM. I'm thinking $175. Curious about your model year, I thought the first year for the GT in the US was 2013?
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

Real Name
    emlevy
    7 Hours Ago
    Yes, 2013 was the first model year for the F800GT in the U.S. (and I believe globally).
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX 

Real Name
    Rich
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Those wooden beaded seats are a nightmare for crash safety. They mess up the protection of carefully calibrated restraint systems because during a frontal crash, the occupant moves too far forward. Maybe not so much of an issue on our bikes which don't have restraints, but I wonder how much forward slide you get during heavy braking for example.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Mike C
    2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks
    I am 5"8" but relatively narrow hips. I have the OEM Low BMW F800GT seat that came with my bike. In fact my bike had a BMW Comfort seat on it at the dealers but I found it too wide and not so comfy, so I swapped.

Likewise with sore backside on long rides. I have an Airhawk also. Be warned, if your seat is not relatively flat ( the OEM Low is quite curved up in front) then even with a small amount of air the longer Airhawks tends to put pressure on your crown jewels - well mine did!!

So whilst in the US last year I bought a low Sargent Seat and brought it back as luggage (saved about $100plus in freight). The seat is beautifully made. It is a great height, firm but relatively comfortable, slightly wider than my preference (but thats my build issue). It does have a hard rolled piece at the join that comes down along the side - in my case it just gets the back of my thigh and causes a pressure point on a very long ride.

SO, I have placed a lambswool on top and now I have the perfect comfort seat. Its great to be able to slide back a bit and have the firm rest behind you.
    See the Revzilla video and you will see the rib I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRZ_VrgHxs

Summary:
    1. Airhawk - get a smaller one so you don't get a crush on your goolies.
    2. Sargent Seat is nice, not perfect and expensive ( and not unlike the OEM Comfort Seat but far better made)
    3. A lambswool doesn't really add a lot of extra height but certainly fixes most pressure points - I used to use it over my Airhawk also.
    4. I have the OEM Low seat for trackdays where you really sit low and get a great feeling on the track. - win-win!

Good Luck!

27. Likes Richard230 liked this post

2 Weeks Ago
    I have no butt, so I have always struggled with bike seats. I have had an Airhawk for 6 weeks and love it. Simple, adjustable and inexpensive.