Front End Issues - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    Hi, I've just bought myself an 2010 F800s and it feels very vague unstable when turning into bends. It almost feels like the tyre is a bit flat but it's got a new front tyre and the pressures are fine. Has anyone else come across this and is there a fix for the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Check the steering head bearings. You'll have to lift the front wheel off the ground and push/pull on the front forks forward and backward to see if there is any play. It's hard without a center stand, but you can put a jack under the oil pan if you have some way to stabilize the bike with weight on the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Claudio
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Suavemaerk View Post
    Hi, I've just bought myself an 2010 F800s and it feels very vague unstable when turning into bends. It almost feels like the tyre is a bit flat but it's got a new front tyre and the pressures are fine. Has anyone else come across this and is there a fix for the problem?
    Cramer is correct. High probability of the steering head bearings pitted, too loose, or both. Here are some possibilities to check (easiest to most involved).

1. Check for play in the bearings as per Cramer's instructions
    2. In addition to checking for that, check for any play in your front wheel bearings as this would also cause cornering shenanigans.
    3. Check that your fork tubes are installed at the right height relative to the triple tree. Too high or low can create an odd feeling when cornering as well.
    4. Ensure that your front brakes are not "dragging" excessively. A slight drag will make the bike feel like its twisting.

5. Check for pitted bearings. If you don't detect any play (clicking) after lifting the bike to check for play, the easiest way to check for pitting is to:
    a) disconnect the steering dampener.
    b) I like to remove the front wheel (technically optional but having zero weight on the bearings allows you to detect the pitting more readily).
    c) If there is significant pitting, you will feel a "ratcheting" effect when turning the steering and/or there will be a tendency for the steering to "lock" in the pits at in the centre position.

Let us know how you make out
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

6. Likes Daboo liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Randy
    1 Day Ago
    Probably time to replace your shock oil or just check to see if it's at the right level.

Randy
    2010 F800ST 

9. Likes Daboo liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Cheers for the advice. Looks like the head bearings are a good place to start. I'm going to have a crack at it this weekend once I've found a good way of getting the front wheel of the ground. I miss the days when bikes had centre stands as standard.

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    May be worth removing the steering damper assembly before you check the bearings as that can "hide" an issue. Also the steering damper should be checked off the bike for smooth operation from one end to the other. I've had a few go.
    Also what the back tyre like? A good rounded front can feel horrible with a squared off rear tyre.
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

12. Likes Daboo liked this post