Rider vs Passenger Seat Height - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jim
    6 Days Ago
    Information regarding seat height is readily available and I know the seat heights are about as follows (this list was supplied by member Quigley many years ago on this forum):

• Extra Low - 765 mm (30.12 inches)
    • Low - 785 mm (30.90 Inches)
    • Standard - 800 mm (31.49 inches)
    • Comfort - 820 mm (32.28 inches)
    • Comfort High - 845 mm (33.26 inches)

Given that higher seats are just plain harder to get up onto for both me and my co-rider anymore, I was wondering how the various seats might impact my PASSENGER. Has anyone has ever found measurements of seat height for the PASSENGER portion of these seats for the F800GT? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    The rear seat height does not change much between the low and standard seats - the rear of the seat has pretty thin padding and there is not much ability to lower it from the standard height.

My wife is recovering from a dive injury, and has neuropathy that makes some movements difficult for her.

To get on the bike we put the bike on the side stand. She grabs the handlebars and squeezes the front brake - then stands on the drivers left footpeg to raise herself up and swing her leg over the seat. She then puts both feet on the driver footpegs and slides back into her seat. I hold onto the handlebars while she is doing this to steady the bike......I pick a parking spot that does not allow the bike to lean too far over on the sidestand. I am still pretty flexible and I raise my right leg up and over the drivers seat and mount the bike sideways.

I have standard height stock and Sargent seats and while riding they are a good fit for my 30" inseam. Having a low or extra low seat could help with mounting the bike if you use the method of stepping over the seat that I use - but I feel the lack of padding on those seats would be uncomfortable while riding......although I wouldn't mind trying a low seat to see if it could help with the tendency to slide forward while riding.

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    ...although I wouldn't mind trying a low seat to see if it could help with the tendency to slide forward while riding.
    That's one benefit of an Airhawk seat cushion. You can move it forward and backward.

I often move my Airhawk to the front after several hours of riding. In my case, it is to get pressure off the tailbone. But while doing it, I've thought of the bike owners who complain that their seat pushes them forward into the gas station...and that this would take care of that. For a lot less money than a complete seat rebuild.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jim
    6 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    I have standard height stock and Sargent seats and while riding they are a good fit for my 30" inseam. Having a low or extra low seat could help with mounting the bike if you use the method of stepping over the seat that I use - but I feel the lack of padding on those seats would be uncomfortable while riding......although I wouldn't mind trying a low seat to see if it could help with the tendency to slide forward while riding.
    Thanks Thumpin! We already have the low seat, we are just not as flexible in our old age as we once were, plus both of us are "inseam-challenged". But at least we give the neighbors a good laugh as we try to mount the bike and especially when dismounting with some semblance of grace after hours in the saddle. I never tried letting her mount the bike with me off it, might have to give that a go.

The reason I asked about rear seat heights is I've actually considered lowering the bike so I could really get my feet solidly down and have a bit more stability with my lady co-rider when we stop or when we mount/dismount (likely lowering it 40mm via the Wilbers suspension parts). That also allows the option of going back to a higher seat (say, the Comfort seat, which is about 35mm taller) which would leave the bike 5mm lower, yet my knees wouldn't be bent so much as I ride - the F800GT is a real knee killer for me (I have a bad knee). But I don't want the passenger seat higher that it makes mounting and dismounting harder for her than it is now. Of course the Wilbers setup + a Comfort seat is all pretty expensive for ending up only 5mm lower and gaining just an inch of legroom ...
    Last edited by AutoXer-1; 10-04-20 at 01:38 AM. Reason: correction & update

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    1 Week Ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_144752.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	369027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191118_181755.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	369029Being 28" inseam challenged (damn genes!) and 77YO, I know exactly what you are going through, Jim and Thumper. Based on my experience with my '12 ST, I put the Wilbers lowering kit, -40 mm, on my '19 GT from new and use the extralow OEM seat, which is surprisingly comfortable.
    Some points: If you go with the beautiful Wilbers option, include one of the valve emulator kits in the front fork setup, it makes all the difference.
    You will almost certainly have to shorten the side stand to accommodate the lower stance, and lowering renders the centre stand from being just difficult to unuseable for normal humans.
    The OEM extralow seat has so far been OK and more comfortable than the very expensive Wunderlich Ergo low seat I used on the ST. I have been using a 12mm gel pad on the extralow for long trips and it too has been a worthwhile and inexpensive addition. Being able to get both feet on the ground, even partially, is an absolute must when age is advanced and agility is retarded....

Real Name
    Jim
    6 Days Ago
    Thank you for the info Ian! I have found the low seat (it's a low seat from an ST) to be quite comfortable, in fact my riding partner and I tried both my stock seat and the Low Seat multiple times and thought the comfort was virtually the same. Now, I have a pretty tough butt - I never met a motorcycle seat my butt didn't get along with, at least not until I added a Triumph Bonneville and it's "block of concrete covered with vinyl seat" to the garage - but I was surprised that my co-riders "tender derriere" took well to the BMW Low Seat.

I like the idea of the lowered bike just so I would feel more comfortable at stops and mounting/dismounting when riding 2-up, I think from what you have said the Wilbers kit will give me that. Thanks for the emulator recommendation, I'll go with that too. I figured the side-stand would need modification, and I rarely use the center stand so that may not be an issue. Your advice is very much appreciated!
    LIFE IS A JOURNEY THAT IS GUIDED BY A GARMIN MOTORCYCLE GPS - IT WILL NEVER GO WHERE YOU EXPECT IT TO OR WANT TO GO. 

9. Likes IanA liked this post