Booster plug - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Hi Guys. David here, as earlier post i said i would get back re fitting booster plug. This definately seems to alleviated most of the chugging in 1st or 2nd gear at low speed, say when moving in slow traffic. I got mine for £65 used on ebay. Fitted it in ten minutes. You just take the top panel off . 8 screws , the seat, and swop a plug. Fix the temperature sensor near the front of the bike like just below the throttle cable, i tied mine too it, and thats you !

A picture of my new ( to me ) bike up the north coast of Northern ireland last week. It was a quiet country road, except it was like a TT Course with all the bikers taking the same lovely route on a sunny day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200926_124523_1601540128450.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	639.9 KB 
ID:	368871  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    David, again. This might seem silly question, is there any time limit you you can run this water cooled engine , on the stand, say during lay up in winter to keep it charged and running.

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Davdundrod View Post
    David, again. This might seem silly question, is there any time limit you you can run this water cooled engine , on the stand, say during lay up in winter to keep it charged and running.
    If you plan to do this then please ensure that you do it in a well ventilated area.

Far better solution is to get a trickle charger to keep the battery in fine fettle and take the bike for a decent run on occasion for the well-being of both bike, and yourself.

Search on both this forum and others for suggestions on suitable trickle charger and merits of connection via accessory socket or direct to vehicle battery.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

5. Likes Daboo liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

38 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Davdundrod View Post
    You can get booster plugs a lot cheaper than that . . . especially when what's inside of it is not expensive components.

During Winter only 10 minutes or so would be needed on a weekly basis at most. These engines warm up very quickly and after that time the engine will be hot, coolant at running temp & thermostat open. And that's only if you are unable to take it on a short half hour ride to give it a run out. If you are storing it for weeks on end try and keep both tyres off the ground to prevent flat spots, or at least rotate the wheel so the same spot is not left flat.
    Otherwise a trickle charger is good if you have Electric where your bike is stored, otherwise you could remove the bike from the battery monthly to charge it. A 1AMP charger is sufficient for the ST battery. I got this one to recondition mine when it went flat.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    If you are storing it for weeks on end try and keep both tyres off the ground to prevent flat spots, or at least rotate the wheel so the same spot is not left flat.
    Yes have read that more than once in various posts and publications on the tinternet but I've yet to see any real evidence of this with modern tyres.

Worked for a company for many years who's business was to store large numbers of vehicles long term. These where pre-registrated units for a number of the major vehicle manufacturers. It's no exaggeration that some of the less popular models would be parked on taxiways and surrounding areas for many many months, some even years following dewax and PDI. Very few tyre problems as a result of storage and tended to be the ones parked on rough or soft ground. Quiet a few with condensation induced corrosion issues in the exhaust system from running the engine for a short period and before leaving the vehicle parked up for an extended period.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

38 Minutes Ago
    I bought a motorbike probably about 10 years ago or so, which was stored outside on a patio/concrete area. It hadn't been stored for a long time, but probably a few months over the cold Autumn/Winter season. The front tyre on it was deformed from sitting on the cold ground without being moved. So i would say it is more probable that a sculptured tyre, like a Motorcycle which also has a softer compound is more likely to deform than a flat profiled car/van tyre.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

1 Day Ago
    Thanks DJ123 For all that sound advice.