Advice buying 2014 f800GS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

10-05-20
    Hi guys,

I am looking to buy an f800GS in the UK.

The one I’ve seen is at a BMW motorcycle dealer

2014 model - 17000 miles
    ABS, ESA, ASC, Heated Grips and 2 BMW side panniers

It has a full service history and is priced at £5500, any idea if this is worth it or should I look for better value? (They also offered to restrict to A2 for free since I am on an a2 license)

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nigel
    14 Minutes Ago
    Hello Pepsie

Not much reaction to your question so I'll start. From your post I'll assume that your UK based but no clue as to which part. Your description matches one in in Reiten's stock so we'll assume your based in Anglia.

Compared to others in Anglia, the one I believe that you're referring to is well specified if a little older than most Motorrad Approved bikes and as such Main Dealer priced. If Main Dealer purchase and the GS style is important to you then traveling a little further would bring a few more similar priced all be it much younger BMW 310GS into consideration. Worthy bike in my opinion with not much less power than a restricted 700.

In the UK, now is a great time of year to negotiate with a dealer as we're going into the quieter time of year for most. It's been a difficult year for a lot so a deal is better than no deal and while a purchase price may not change much, there's sometimes scope for some sort of negotiation on price of say clothing or other services you'd going to need in the future.

As far as opinions on the pricing of this specific bike, try asking the same question on the UK GS forum where you'll probably find a bit more of a response.

Good luck and ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

10-05-20
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    Hello Pepsie

Not much reaction to your question so I'll start. From your post I'll assume that your UK based but no clue as to which part. Your description matches one in in Reiten's stock so we'll assume your based in Anglia.

Compared to others in Anglia, the one I believe that you're referring to is well specified if a little older than most Motorrad Approved bikes and as such Main Dealer priced. If Main Dealer purchase and the GS style is important to you then traveling a little further would bring a few more similar priced all be it much younger BMW 310GS into consideration. Worthy bike in my opinion with not much less power than a restricted 700.

In the UK, now is a great time of year to negotiate with a dealer as we're going into the quieter time of year for most. It's been a difficult year for a lot so a deal is better than no deal and while a purchase price may not change much, there's sometimes scope for some sort of negotiation on price of say clothing or other services you'd going to need in the future.

As far as opinions on the pricing of this specific bike, try asking the same question on the UK GS forum where you'll probably find a bit more of a response.

Good luck and ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am from the U.K. yes, not Anglia however I am from Brighton but I saw this bike and it seemed like the best deal I had seen so far.

I have seen the 310GS however I wish to use this bike for a while and I can remove the restrictor from the f800 after 2 years when I get my full license. The g310 also feels like a lower quality compared to the 310.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    3 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    This is why I really strongly encourage members to put some indication of their location in their profile. It makes a difference.

The asking price, is not the selling price...or doesn't have to be. And often, like Nigel wrote, even if the salesman doesn't have the ability to budge on the price, he can toss in some other things like the cost of a year's maintenance to sweeten the deal. They will be paying the mechanics, whether they are busy or not, so to give you a free service is no big deal to them.

In the USA, we have the Kelley Blue Book and NADA guide that give prices for the Retail and Trade-In values. They are a guide though and not nearly as accurate as the Craigslist ads. There's also publications like Cycle Trader where motorcycles are sold. My point is that equivalent sources like those in your part of the world, are probably the best indications of whether that is a good deal, or not.

I took a class in negotiating many years ago. I still remember this movie we watched where a man who negotiated multi-million dollar deals told us his secret. It was, "I want it...but not that much." If you aren't willing to walk away from the deal, the salesman has you. There's sometimes a lot of negotiating room. I bought a "new" Honda NT700V (Deauville). It was a 2011 leftover and this was now 2013. The MSRP was something like $12500 originally. The salesman showed me where he had purchased the bike for about $9000 five months earlier. And now he was selling it to me for $7000. Why was he taking a $2000 loss? Because the bike wasn't moving, and they paid a "floor tax" on each motorcycle. He had to move that bike, or it would cost him more money to hold it.

Good luck on your purchase. And let us know what you get. Pictures too please.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6