New owner here - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Paul
    5 Days Ago
    Hello, I have recently collected my latest ride, an F800R sport from North Oxford BMW. Not had much time to ride and weather has been terrible, but enjoying it so far. Will have to get used to the bike, first thing I intend to work out is luggage. There isn't really any underseat storage, what do others do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome to the forum Paul. I had the BMW side cases and a Givi topcase. Good luck in your search for storage.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

4. Likes Flook liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    19 Minutes Ago
    Welcome aboard, Paul. I am sure you will enjoy riding your F800GS and visiting this forum when you have nothing better to do. There are a ton of luggage solutions that will fit your bike on the market, both hard and soft. Personally, I prefer soft luggage that is quickly detachable. While it is not as fancy as hard luggage, it is cheaper and easier to carry around and to store when you don't need to use it to carry stuff. Plus, hard saddlebags can make it more difficult to filter through traffic because of its width, although a top box resolves that issue. If you are considering hard luggage, Givi and SHAD luggage are worth checking out. They are reasonably priced and have brackets that are designed to fit many popular models.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

6. Likes Flook liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Days Ago
    Welcome to the group and congratulation on your newest purchase. Lots of decisions and choices to make for luggage, but all boils down to what your travel habits are. Day rides only, touring long distances, bringing only the basics or the kitchen sink. Some people don't carry tools, just a credit card and an Auto Card of some sort. No one answer for all. With the F800R, I'm guessing you're maybe looking for a light, sporty ride. Tank bag and a small backpack might do... You'll work it out.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Paul, welcome from the coast of Kansas, USA. Glad to have you with us.

Were I you, I would start with soft luggage, as others have already said. My personal preference would be a smallish tail pack to bungee on the seat behind you. But if you prefer something in front of you, then a smallish tank bag is nice too. I am a minimalist traveler and so carry the least amount of stuff I absolutely must have for survival.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

RobA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Rob
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hello Paul. Welcome to the group. I'm in Rugby, not that far from you. I lived in Banbury until six years ago. I have a 2014 F800R. I have a Givi top box and the Sports Panniers. The panniers are on the small side and to be honest, I don't use them a lot. Happy riding. Rob.

Real Name
    Nigel
    4 Hours Ago
    Hello Paul and welcome to the forum. I'm based over in West Cambridgeshire and owb a F800GT but same issue with under seat storage. I've accumulated a few options over time that I use depending on what I've got planned, top box, panniers, rear soft bag and tank bag. All BMW picked up mainly from other owners none new but in good condition.

I mostly use the top box but it really depends on what I need to carry for a particular journey as to what's fitted. They all mount/dismount very easily.

What type of things would you need to regularly store or carry on your travels?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Hi Paul, I live in Northamptonshire, not far away from the Cotswolds. A nice area to enjoy your rides. As far as luggage is concerned, I have the Givi Maxia top box which holds two helmets, or my Klim jacket folded inside when I park up. I have a helmet strap attached to the ring under the seat, and fittings for the expandable bags which I also have, but do not use much. I recommend most highly a Madstad screen, these are fully adjustable and well worth the money (to my mind).

Everyone above have given their ideas, and there are plenty around, have a nose around some bike shops at the luggage to see what your likings are and costs to suit you.

Iif you want to get into the madness of this side go to Worst Jokes ever, and have a laugh and post your own, or go to the Word association, and see the silly things we post there, shear madness on both posts, but very enjoyable, also a good way to get to know others from around the F8 universe. Beware though these can be addictive, just ask Wildwilly hehehehe

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    Hello Paul and welcome to the forum. I'm based over in West Cambridgeshire and owb a F800GT but same issue with under seat storage. I've accumulated a few options over time that I use depending on what I've got planned, top box, panniers, rear soft bag and tank bag. All BMW picked up mainly from other owners none new but in good condition.

I mostly use the top box but it really depends on what I need to carry for a particular journey as to what's fitted. They all mount/dismount very easily.

Hi Nigel, long time no hear, when I get my bike back next week with luck, how about meeting up for a ride out..
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    Nigel
    4 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Flook View Post
    Hi Nigel, long time no hear, when I get my bike back next week with luck, how about meeting up for a ride out..
    How do Flook

Sounds like a good plan.

Still managing to get work done from home at the moment so may be able to work a couple of hours away from the laptop for a little bimble.

Just back from an afternoon on the North Norfolk coast,. Dreadful weather but was worth it for a few hours of peace and leg over, the bike. Just need to get things dried out now.

Real Name
    Paul
    5 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post

I have a Givi top box and plan to get an adaptor plate so it will fit on the rack.
    On my previous bike I would keep a bungee, a rag to wipe down, visor cleaning bottle, a multi-tool under the seat. Just a handful of things that now stay in the garage.

Real Name
    Nigel
    4 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Roly2950 View Post
    I have a Givi top box and plan to get an adaptor plate so it will fit on the rack.
    On my previous bike I would keep a bungee, a rag to wipe down, visor cleaning bottle, a multi-tool under the seat. Just a handful of things that now stay in the garage.
    Afternoon

Not sure about the R but on the GT, there's a small space under the left hand side rear fairing trim. (Just under the pillion seat.) Only noticed it yesterday when I had the seat off while applying some ACF50 prior to winter.) If the R's similar you might be able to stash a few "essentials" there.

Failing that a small cycling saddle bag might well strap under the rear rack. Set you back a tenner or so from wiggle and be secure enough for bungee, rag and a small bottle of fluid to clean your visor. Will give it a try later on and take some snaps if it works out.

RobA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Rob
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hello There. I can confirm what BoxerBits suggests above regarding the R. With the seat removed, there is a space on both sides towards the back of the bike which would take a tool roll, or other bits and pieces. Rob.

Real Name
    John
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome to the site Paul, I'm sure you'll get on well with your F800, have just joined my self after buying my first BMW preloved from near Bath, I'm just down the road from you near Portishead, not much storage space under the seat as you say, love the provided "tool kit" talk about minimalistic!
    I've found room for a set of Allen keys and Torx keys in the space to the left, will add the 19mm Allen key for front wheel removal and a multitool.
    Enjoy your bike , cheers John.