Another post about charging. - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

15 Hours Ago
    I've read so many posts,on this, my head is spinning!.I have an accessory socket wired directly to the battery.( with an inline fuse. )The question is, can I charge the battery via the socket without the need for a canbus specific charger?.
    2015 800GT.

2. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Frank
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    If the socket is connected to the battery with direct leads (so not via the wiring harness of the bike), you do not need a CAN-bus compatible charger. I use the leads provided with the Tecmate Optimate 4 and connected these to the battery terminals. Works perfectly.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

5. Likes Daboo liked this post

The substantive concern is that one does not connect a "smart" charger/maintainer having a desulphation mode. If the smart charger decides that the battery is sulphated it hits it with high voltage pulses. These pulses could possibly damage the bike's electronics. This is why BMW specifies it own charger. There are other chargers that will work with the BMW accessory port. For instance the Optimate 4 has two modes. If you use it in the "CAN-bus" mode (a common misnomer) you can safely use it either through the accessory port or direct to the battery.

7. Likes Daboo liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

14 Hours Ago
    You will be fine. I've used a battery tender charger on my F800GT for years and no problems. I've connected the pigtail leads directly to the battery and my battery tender is not canbus smart so I'm able to move it from one bike to another.

10. Likes Daboo liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavvo View Post
    I've read so many posts,on this, my head is spinning!.I have an accessory socket wired directly to the battery.( with an inline fuse. )The question is, can I charge the battery via the socket without the need for a canbus specific charger?.
    2015 800GT.
    Yes you can. I have used an old Optimate 2 charger in that way on 3 F800's for 13 years with no problems.
    You only need a canbus compatible charger [BMW or Optimate 4] if you wish to charge via the factory fitted accessory socket on right side of GT frame.

Real Name
    Andrew
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Electricity runs two ways on a wire.
    The circuit is directed wired to the battery - where does CANBUS come into it?
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

15 Hours Ago
    Thanks for all the replies. I now feel confident enough to go ahead without fear of doing damage.
    I love these forums.There is always an answer readily available.Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post
    Electricity runs two ways on a wire.
    The circuit is directed wired to the battery - where does CANBUS come into it?
    It does not no matter how it's wired. Popular misconception.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Yeah, I run a pig tail from the battery (actually a fuse block) down to the space where the rear shock preload adjustment is. That way I can plug it in as needed without taking anything apart.

Oh yeah, I use a "battery tender junior" which charges up to .75 amps and is " smart" so that it won't do any damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

1 Week Ago
    Can anybody give me a idiots guide, yes i feel like one to ask ! On how i know my optimate 4 with bmw canbus mode, is in canbus mode.
    I understand the procedure how to switch mode, but i just dont get where the lights indicate its in canbus mode.
    Another way of asking this question is, when i next plug it in how will i know what mode it is in.

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Davdundrod View Post
    Can anybody give me a idiots guide, yes i feel like one to ask ! On how i know my optimate 4 with bmw canbus mode, is in canbus mode.
    I understand the procedure how to switch mode, but i just dont get where the lights indicate its in canbus mode.
    Another way of asking this question is, when i next plug it in how will i know what mode it is in.
    Does this help?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Quote Originally Posted by Davdundrod View Post
    It will not change modes between uses. It stays in the mode it was last in. Suggest that you check the manual. In program 2 "CAN-bus" (sic) mode LED #3 and 4 are flashing.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Dave
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Optimate 4 ....
    Turn the unit on without a battery connected, the botom 2 LEDs flash periodically in canbus mode.
    Leave it in canbus mode even when directly connected - it still does its job just fine, but it has the advantage of not allowing the high voltage de-sulphate phase to operate.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

Real Name
    Mark
    12-12-20
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    Yeah, I run a pig tail from the battery (actually a fuse block) down to the space where the rear shock preload adjustment is. That way I can plug it in as needed without taking anything apart.

Oh yeah, I use a "battery tender junior" which charges up to .75 amps and is " smart" so that it won't do any damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a nice setup. Any pics available?