Our tail lights are POS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

23 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    They are so cheap and poorly built. It must have cost them $2 to manufacture them. I got the lamp error and took it apart to investigate. Tail light works but no brake light. Put a new bulb in and it works for a week, then bad again.

The two metal prongs behind the bulb were crooked so I touched one and some thin piece of plastic that was holding them in place broke off and now the whole assembly is garbage. Not to mention we have to take the entire back end apart to get to the bolts to remove the light. I hope that BMW engineer gets dysentery.

I've seen LED tail lights from Hornig and Wunderlich that address the canbus issue but they look like super cheap junk that won't last...and they're ugly. They both sell the same tail light actually, Hornig being much cheaper but everyone says Hornig is awful to deal with.

I don't know what to do, I need a tail light and I just want it to work. Winter is coming and I intend to keep riding. I've got to have a good tail light. Anybody have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    15 Hours Ago
    If it was my bike, I’d simply replace it with another OE taillight and get on with my life. I’m sure you can find a used one from a wrecked bike.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX 

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Claudio
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I installed the Hornig version and had a post lamenting their refusal to warranty for a bad/inadequate resistor module "because I didn't buy it direct from them" (even though I had a receipt from the retailer showing the purchase of the Hornig light).

As for the unit itself.....
    - I like the look of it (it looks like the tail light of a newer R1250RT).
    - Quality (after the correct resistor) is good so far (very limited use this year due to all the travel restrictions).
    - Installation is a big pain.
    - A better alternative (not in your case since it broke) might be a suitable LED bulb in the stock unit.

Motivation for swapping the stock unit was reliability (no worry about bulb replacement while touring) so we'll have to see how that plays out in the long term.

Your frequently blown bulb makes me speculate that something else was going on with the tail light (perhaps a loose contact or some voltage spikes?). Check your bike to see if any codes are present beyond the lamp error.
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudio_S View Post
    Your frequently blown bulb makes me speculate that something else was going on with the tail light (perhaps a loose contact or some voltage spikes?). Check your bike to see if any codes are present beyond the lamp error.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm at 63,000 miles and still using the same bulb.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6