BMW F800 Forum banner

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dalesman 
#1 ·
Newbie here. Based in the great Yorkshire Dales, UK. Turned 60 this year.
Had my GT SE since July last year and have covered 10,500 miles (leisure only!) from new.
Matte metallic blue. I believe they are faster than any of the other colours [sure]

Had it dealer serviced so far (for warranty purposes) but I'm not impressed. At the 6K service they put 500ml too much oil in. I can see from threads on the forum that getting the level right can be tricky - but half a litre! No excuse. I wouldn't mind but they charge an arm and a leg. I only realised after putting another 3.5K miles on it. Should have checked right away. I managed to suck the excess out, and it may be my imagination, but the engine sounds quieter, feels a bit smoother and seems to have a little more poke. Anyone else had this experience?
I'll be doing my own servicing from now on. There's no way I'd trust them to do a valve check!

I have side luggage and top box and have had two tours of France and two trips to Scotland so far with camping gear. Excellent over long distances - the high comfort seat really is all-day comfortable. Steady as a rock and great fun at any speed on sweeping bends but a bit out of it's comfort zone on local single track rough lanes and the long first gear makes tight hairpins a bit tricky.
The main niggle so far is the intense heat on the legs in hot weather - 38° in the Pyrenees this Summer took the edge off the fun a bit :flame:

Happy with the build quality and finish so far. Though I do tend to keep on top of the cleaning anyway. I've had the panels off today and given it a good scrub as I'll be putting it away for the winter soon - I don't venture out between November and March - fair-weather softee me.

I've fitted 1" bar risers and the Givi barn door screen - I've resorted to the stock screen at the height of summer.
No such thing as the perfect bike but I'm happy with this and won't be getting rid in a hurry I don't think.
So no doubt I'll hand out here from time to time.

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome, Dalesman. It sounds like you are having a great time riding your GT. I hope you enjoy visiting this forum when you have the opportunity to do so.

Reactions: Dalesman
#7 ·
Welcome Dalesman, i think you have a bit of our Irish humour about yee !. I am a newbee as well, from County Down. My bike is also matt blue, with 8000 miles. Just got it a month ago, sad now weather broke, like you i only ride for pleasure- none in winter and hard on cleaning bike.
Can you tell me was the bar risers a quick fit or do you have to make alterations to cables .
David

#8 ·
Well maybe that's because I was raised in Liverpool and my mum was of Irish descent!
I've ridden twice around most of the coast of Ireland (on a Kawasaki Versys 650). Amazing.

The mod depends on how handy you are. Fitting the risers is straightforward. Altering the cables is a bit tricky but you can find plenty of destructions on the web. It's only when you attempt it that you really see how it works. They don't make an enormous difference but I thought it was worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.