swingarm replacement? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Good evening all. I'm considering buying a 2014 F800GT that was wrecked. The front wheel is toast, the back wheel has a repairable dent, left rearset is toast and the swingarm is broken in two. I'm a competent mechanic and do all the work on my motorcycles and cars, but I want to make sure the swingarm replacement is a straightforward repair and doesn't require something ridiculous like removing the transmission.

thanks,
    ben

2. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Phil
    3 Hours Ago
    I'm guessing the swingarm can be welded. I'm not sure I would want to - I think I'd be looking for a used replacement. Transmission: It's a case of whether the rear hub mechanism is damaged or not. As long as the hub and bearings are okay.
    Also, I'd want to be confident the frame is not damaged or hasn't caused damaged to where it mounts to the cylinder block.
    Sounds to me like there will be better repairable examples out there?

Real Name
    Dave
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Advise depends on your country ....
    Are you in the UK?? I'm guessing from your language that your're a leftpondian?
    Out of interest in the UK the condition of the bike would be a cat A or B write off - no repair to put it back on the road would be allowed.
    If it was a lower catagory (say "S" - not economic to repair) then it would only be worth 30% to 50% of its pre-accident value so not realy worth fixing up

The swingarm is not hard to remove - collateral damage would be a concern
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    39 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Personally, I wouldn't consider a repair. You have major damage from the front of the bike to the rear. It takes a lot of force to ruin the front wheel...and it seems like the force was only marginally lessened by the time the rear wheel hit and was dented. And the swingarm is broken in two? How much force did that incur? Why would you think the frame isn't bent as well? And FWIW, the engine is a stressed member of the frame. Is the engine casing cracked?

You potentially have a case where as you repair the things you can see...you'll find other things that will also need to be replaced. In the end, you could easily end up with as much money soaked into this project as if you'd bought a perfectly good running bike.

COPARTS is a place where you can find motorcycles that have been totaled by the insurance company, but are still in decent shape. I'd look there instead.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

8. Likes Sundog52 liked this post

1 Day Ago
    So, I ended up buying the bike for a very reasonable price... basically, if I think it's going to be too much work or if I find hidden damage, I can part it out and make my money back.
    I'm in the US, here if the bike is totaled by the insurance company it's sold with a salvage title. This still has the original title.
    I'm picking the bike up on Wednesday and will start pulling it apart to see what I'm working with. Either way it will be a fun project and I'm sure I'll be back on the board for advice!

10. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Phil
    3 Hours Ago
    Keep us posted then!

Real Name
    Dave
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    One has to be a bit more careful than that with "salvage title" in the uk. The fact that its clear now (in uk) dosn't mean it'll stay clear.
    Some years ago I bought a Corsa (1.2L small GM car). When purchased it check out as clear. Some 3 or 4 years later the then owner found it was "cat D" as it was stolen/recovered having been used in a burgalry. The insco put it on "Cat D" months later after the court case had been completed.
    Cue much fuss/acusations/knashing of teeth as the owner was a friend of a friend. Fortunately I was able to show that it had been made "Cat D" months after I bought it.
    "Cat D" ? (Now cat S or N) "not repaired - other reason, usualy no new parts available.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Assuming there is no structural damage to the swingarm attachment points the replacing a swingarm is a relatively simple task. I did it a couple of months ago. I'm writing this for a bike with a complete swingarm! Step 1 - remove the drive belt cover plastic, pull drive belt off of pulley. Step 2 - remove rear brake caliper (2 bolts). Step 3 - unbolt rear shock from swingarm (1 bolt). Step 4 loosen swingarm rod pinch bolts (2 bolts - rearmost ones) and remove C clip from left end of rod. Step 5 remove rod and then remove swingarm but moving the rear up and to the right while sliding out the back. It comes out very nicely and clears the exhaust.

I hope you paid less for the bike than you can get from the engine. As Daboo says "why". Any force that has broken the swingarm has very probably twisted the swingarm mounting points and I would also be concerned about damage to the head bracket mounting point. Presuming all of that is OK then maybe it is worth it if you can scrounge the parts cheaply enough. I know where a complete swingarm is that has a bad bearing which could possible be replaced. Its a small shop in Nebraska who I gave my old swingarm to so they could maybe make some money off of the parts such as brake rotor and pulley.

How do I know so much about swingers? LOL my F800GT destroyed a rear wheel bearing 1,100 miles from home and the quickest, least cost and simplest fix was to replace the complete swingarm with one I bought from eBay.

Presuming you are in the USA do you have a clean title or salvage title?

1 Day Ago
    Thanks for the step-by-step PhotoAl, that is most helpful.
    I'm actually just across I-20 from you in Atlanta. It's a clean title and I bought the bike for a price that I could make back by parting it out if I find further damage. The PO was very reasonable for the price and it'll be a fun project either way.
    I just bought a complete swingarm (including caliper, disk, drive pulley, belt guards, axle, etc...) for $135 shipped on Ebay. Also got a rear wheel for $80. I'm picking up the bike tomorrow and will start pulling it apart to see what I'm working with.
    Strangely, what I'm having a hard time finding is a reasonable front wheel.

15. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

Real Name
    Tracy
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    From your description of the damage I'm surprised it wasn't totaled. I'm betting it wasn't fully covered or maybe even uninsured. At any rate, good luck with it, look forward to hearing your progress!

18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    If you are interested I have a standard seat and a standard windscreen I was going to give to a local bike shop. You can pick them up or have them shipped.

Great you have a clean title. I have a Honda Metropolitian with a salvage title - I used it as a parts bike and so it is just a box of parts but eh frame is good.