Heat Shield Ectomy - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    14 Hours Ago
    i'm trying to train my butt to slide back to the flatter part of my pretty darn comfortable oem comfort seat - easily accomplished space wise - the problem lies in in my big left foot and the close proximity of my left heel to the afore mentioned heat shield - not a crisis, it just bugs me to have my heal resting on it -

has anyone had the need or desire to remove their heat shield ? any difficulties in the removal process ? any flaming boots from un-shielded hot pipe encounters ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I have a melted heel mark on my pipe just behind the heat shield......evidently a passenger found some way to get their boot against the pipe for an instant. It is definitely hot enough to damage any portion of your boot that comes in contact.

I think you will need to keep the shield, as it does serve a necessary purpose.

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    14 Hours Ago
    i'm sure you're correct - maybe i'll just have to remove it and let the pipe customize my boot for a perfect fit -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Phil
    3 Days Ago
    I tend to rest my arches of my UK size 11s on the pegs and the shield doesn't interfere. If I want to put the balls of my feet on the pegs, for example on sharper, faster corners, then I have learned to lift my heel out of the way. I did have to adapt - it was a pain at first but I never think about it anymore.
    You could use a bit of exhaust wrap? Though the shield mounting lugs might get in the way.

3 Days Ago
    I've occasionally had the same experience. Felt my left heal resting on something and quickly shift it around thinking it's on the pipe. Don't think that's even possible nor has it melted my boot, but it gets my attention. On my dual sport, the heat shield meant to prevent you from burning your pants leg would snag grass and weeds and eventually start it smoldering. I took it off and used exhaust wrap held in place with safety wire. Low profile, saves my pants and solves the fire concerns. Don't see why it wouldn't help with this issue and it's easy to test.