Rear Luggage Rack - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Mike Lilliefors
    10-23-20
    I have a 2014 F800GT with the standard BMW hard panniers, but no rear case. And I intend to keep it that way. However, I am looking for a rack to add to the top of the current, stock, luggage rack at the rear. I would like to add some width and tie down points for carrying 50 liter waterproof compression bags.
    I have two; one for my camping gear, the other for my clothing/jacket/boots etc. I usually make a couple of 2-3K mile trips every summer, and camp for most of the distance. The panniers carry my heavier or more valuable stuff; tools, spare oil/water, cooking gear, food, electronics, etc.

I had a F800ST with the BMW hard panniers and a Givi topbox for a number of years. Great box, waterproof, with lots of room. But a sail when the crosswind kicked up. Since I live in Minnesota, on the edge of the Great Plains, this is a common problem. Hence, the shift to the 50 liter compression bags.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Gnome

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    12-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'd look at a top case again. I've ridden in some pretty hard cross-winds and never felt like the top box affected anything.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Rich
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Givi do a flat plate with tie down points to do exactly what you're after. It's the Givi EX2M. It mounts to an existing monolock or monokey attachment plate. So I guess you'd need to have one of those fitted as first.
    18 F800GT 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

8 Hours Ago
    The biggest sail in a cross wind is the bike! A top box makes minimal difference as the side profile is not that big. The Givi Trekker 52 (TRK52) is a great top box, i have/had one and used for many years without issues in all weathers.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

13 Hours Ago
    Ive traveled across the plains several times. Don't like being in crosswinds in a rainstorm. Currently running a single large 66L waterproof duffle bag from Amazon. It has been thru a lot without any leakage or real wear signs. I camp a lot but minimize tools - they went under the seat along with a small air compressor. A lot will fit under the seat in the "side pods". Last trip I had a long 3/8' wratched along with some sockets and Torx bits and wrenches - enough to change both wheels if necessary and remove most body panels. I never carried any oil as the bike didn't use any. Tried to put heavier stuff in side cases but tent want in duffle. It fit half on the rear seat and half on the luggage rack. last trip at the start put a 6 pack of 16oz coke bottles plus 2 water bottles behind it. Have encountered stiff sidewinds but never felt like I was getting blown totally off course. In gusty winds had to be quick on the bars to keep it headed straight but not that much effort - hated being in the rain with a crosswind so that I was leaning several degree into the wind when going straight - for hours at a time!

Real Name
    Adrian
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Build a camping rack; I've done this with my GS's, but not the GT yet. Just a sheet of alloy (or stainless), cut to size, usually @ 2' across with cut outs for straps

4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    You can use a GIVI monkey "side" case like this . Good capacity with less side profile in the wind. I buy at CYCLE GEAR, I call them place and order and they give me a Veterans discount. Good people to work with. I have them delivered to New Hampshire for no sales tax too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	givi.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	369725
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

Real Name
    Chris
    12-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The picture is kinda small, but that looks like the Givi 46 liter top box I have.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6