Any cleaning clips - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Hi Guys and any Girls again. Any good tips for cleaning the front wheel i find it very ackward on this model of bike to get at the inner parts of the wheel to remove dirt. My fingers are both too big and not long enough to rub the wheel paintwork and clean to my satisfaction.
    I am very wary of corroding the excellent finish on the wheels and only use carwash shampoo. I dont subscribe to using a power washer !. Any way dont have one or wife would have me tortured cleaning everything that cant run away ! 😁.
    Go for it. Thanks in anticipation. David.
    Others, not f800gt owners ( exclusive aren't we ! ) have suggested to me - gunk, wheel cleaners, parafin oil.
    This will be likely my last bike (and most expensive ) and i want to look after it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    3 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Where do you live, Davdundrod? That'd give us an idea of what you're dealing with.

I just use Simple Green on mine and then clean it off with a soapy micro-fiber rag.

Instead of buying a power washer, might I suggest your wife clean the wheels? Her dainty fingers could reach into the places you can't reach...thereby proving her undying love for you.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    3 Hours Ago
    unless you want to melt paint, most spray on products won't do the job on wheels - wheels are the real deal - you need friction of some sort - i plan on trying a bottle brush, or some kind of glorified toothbrush type tool soon - without a doubt ,the front wheel is a challenge -

it's that time of year where a decision has to be made (at least for us weenie rider types) as to when we're done rolling and are ready to tuck our rides away for winter - i'm not there yet - rode today - maybe next week - at that point i hope to give all parts a good scrub -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

6. Likes Richard230 liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Phil
    1 Day Ago
    I use this sort of thing on hard to access bits. These are cheap ones. There are many others.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Detailing-A...65391105&psc=1

I only use vehicle shampoo on the wheels and it does the job.
    These are good for getting into the nooks and crannies all-around the bike.

36 Minutes Ago
    The best cleaning product i have found is AutoGluym Wheel Cleaning Mousse, it also contains a 'fall out' product which dissolves brake dust (and turns red, when it does). Being a spray you can get it everywhere, and once you let it work its magic it only takes a light scrub to remove the dirt and rinse away. Using a brush like suggested by Dalesman is ideal, if you can't contort your fingers into the wheel.

Autoglym Mousse
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Hour Ago
    Not used the Autoglym wheel mouse personally but the Autoglym range is what the company valeting teams were supplied with when I used to work in the Automotive Sector. They have some really good products.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    I find that most soaps and mild cleaners will work well on the front wheel, provided that you use an old tooth brush, wheel spoke brush, or something similar from the kitchen sink. However, cleaning chain oil off of the rear wheel will likely require some sort of degreasing product and a garden hose sprayer to remove. Don't use rags where grease is around unless you don't mind a greasy rag.

I have a couple of friends who swear by pressure washers to clean their bikes. At least one of them has been using a pressure washer for many years without causing any problems, but I imagine that you need to be really careful where you aim that high pressure jet. Keep it away from anything that looks like a crack, opening or rubber seal, for sure.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

12. Likes Daboo, Sundog52 liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Extract from "How to use" section on Autoglym website ;

Wheel Cleaning Mousse is not suitable for use on motorcycles.

14. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Day Ago
    S100 and a garden hose.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX 

16. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Phil
    1 Day Ago
    I have to say, I find the GT is the easiest bike to clean I have had. No need for harsh cleaners.
    Not having a chain is a big plus!
    I too like Autoglym products. Aquawax is good on the gravity blue matte metallic paint and on the screen. In fact it works well on just about all surfaces, including unpainted plastics.
    I use MucOff on the engine now and again and give it a good working in with a soft brush.
    A good spray of GT85 after washing, for protection, especially on exposed bits that look like they might be susceptible to corrosion.
    I make sure all metal is generously coated in GT85 before laying up for the winter to protect from inevitable condensation.

17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I just left mine dirty Actually I gave it a good washing even removing some of the body panels before the last trip. Even then there were many places I didn't get to. LOL it was clean so first day on trip - it rained! Clean mostly gone.

On my bikes with chains I've washed the wheel with soap and water and S100 but didn't worry about the chain fling. To get that I used simple past car wax, took it right off and left the wheel looking great. I figured that out on my CBR600RR with the white wheels. I generally don't like any kind of brush but would use a dish brush to clean stuff like brake rotors and other hard parts.

36 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Extract from "How to use" section on Autoglym website ;

Wheel Cleaning Mousse is not suitable for use on motorcycles.
    I assume that's due to the bearings, and some could get past the seals. As long as you don't spray it directly in that area everything should be fine.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Hour Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    I assume that's due to the bearings, and some could get past the seals. As long as you don't spray it directly in that area everything should be fine.
    I've no way of telling but Custom Wheel Cleaner looks to be a safer choice as far as Autoglym are concerned if you're making any recommendations for their products.

https://www.autoglym.com/products/custom-wheel-cleaner

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I use "Bike Bright" to clean my wheels and brake parts.....and a small sponge. (Buy shower sponges as they work much better than the big square hardware sponges). I get all my buckets and soap ready - then I spray Bike Bright on the front wheel and let it sit for a couple minutes (not in the sun and don't let it dry). I then use the soapy sponge to wash off the front wheel - the sponge fits inside the wheel and you can push it around to clean inside. Then I rinse off the soap with the hose and go to the back wheel and repeat. When the wheels are clean - I then wash the rest of the bike.

When done I use this small blower to get the water off the bike. start at the top and work my way down......then when most the water is gone I use a drying towel on the bodywork and windshield - and lastly wheels. It is amazing how much water comes out of the radiator - and don't forget to take the seat off and dry underneath! THis little blowers does a great job and it is available at a lot of local parts and big box stores....including Tractor Supply.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I then go for a ride to warm the bike up and get the rest of the water out - I never put a bike away without riding it to get the water baked out.

17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Good point on not letting it dry or be in sunlight - IMO a good practice for almost any cleaning product. Used to take my sport bikes and after washing lean them over as far as I could to let the water drain out of the radiator, now I just put on the side stand and let drain.

My BMW and current bikes have matte finishes which adds another level of complexity with washing cleaning and not polishing or waxing - but matte protectant.

2 Days Ago
    Simple green and a cone shaped brush have worked well for me on road grime for the wheels and under side of the motorcycle. Automatic carwash soak soap for the shiny/painted hard to reach areas. Meguiar's auto soap and a micro towel for the body panels. Mothers black plastic restore. The GT has lots of black plastic so it's good to hit that once or twice a season. Along with all the other good things about the 800GT, I have to say, it has kept it's appearance over the years....