Returning to biking, F800s purchased... - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    Thought Id say Hi and bore you with a brief intro - based in the Uk on the south coast between Hastings and Rye (if you know that area).

A couple of weeks ago browsing eBay, watching a few items, I found myself drawn to an '08 800s. After a Sunday dinner and 1/2 a bottle of Lidl red the clock was down to a few seconds and thought "what the heck", chucked in a late bid and the rest is history!
    Previously Id had all sorts over the years ,750 Gixxer, TL1000s, R6, ZX7R, 748 bip, and finally a Z thou but sold that when my son was born for no reason other than it not being used. (Ok I traded it in against a Scenic....) Forward 12 or so years and another bike sits in the garage.

Considering I didnt pay what I felt was too much, the ride back was better than expected and realised pretty quickly what I had been missing for so long. The only problem being my trusty old (very old) SMX boots gave out so the kit will be slowly replaced (dont tell the wife - actually I stupidly left the box with receipt in the downstairs loo...)

Bike wise - 24k miles but unsure of the history, ad said serviced but nothing to check with. Not a problem as I will do it myself. Slight fork leak but not bad enough to worry about. Will drain and stick 15wt in there and see how they go.
    Akrapovic can on it ( baffle now removed - sounds much better) lower bikini faring and seat cover.
    Bought an adaptor to clear the service light, also checked the mileage which is correct. Took the rear rack off and fitted the grab rail off an 800R - much nicer IMO. Also put some thin foam over grips on, as my hands felt a little achy with thicker gloves on - that might just be getting used to riding again though.

So far Ive not done too many miles - work and weather (and old out of date kit!) being cause to only ride in a few times to work. Its a deceiving little bike to be fair - its travelling quicker than I think and have exited a few bends and looked down to see Im about 20 mph faster than I thought... Still, I havent totally forgotten how to ride, just a bit rusty! Looking for a service kit pondering whether to do the plugs or not as well.....

2. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
    Likes Daboo, DJ123, Norfolk UK, Richard230, IanA and 2 others liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

12 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Welcome to the forum from the coast of Kansas, USA!

Glad you found your way back to riding; you picked a good mount to regain your skills on, but be careful for the first few months. The F800 motor is surprisingly quick and responsive and you can find yourself in trouble before you realize it (sounds as if you might have already discovered that ).
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Real Name
    Chris
    46 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome from Puget Sound!

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome back to biking and the "F"orum
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

6 Hours Ago
    Welcome to the Forum.

It's worth doing a full service, then you know everything is up to scratch. The plugs are a bit of a pain to get to, but worth doing. They're only a 20k (ish) service item so you'll know they are good for a while.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    1 Day Ago
    welcome smh - awesome you are back to the club - glad you've joined us - enjoy putting many miles on your new ride !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

1 Week Ago
    Hi All, thanks for the welcome.
    I went through the paperwork and found the last service - which was plugs etc. Ive ordered oil/air filters along with some 10w50 and will do that later this week.
    Then off for the dreaded MOT!
    I see online its got an outstanding recall - looks like steering damper, I will contact BMW and see what they say.
    My only concern is the rear wheel bearings - the bike rides fine and the belt looks like its running true - is the play obvious when checking?
    Cheers

Steve

Real Name
    Dave
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    If you've not ridden in a year or three - consider doing a "Back to Biking" course.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

12. Likes BoxerBits liked this post

9 Hours Ago
    Welcome back to riding. Seems your 1/2 bottle instincts are right on, you've found a good bike. Enjoy!

14. Likes smh liked this post
    Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by smh View Post
    Hi All, thanks for the welcome.
    I went through the paperwork and found the last service - which was plugs etc. Ive ordered oil/air filters along with some 10w50 and will do that later this week.
    Then off for the dreaded MOT!
    I see online its got an outstanding recall - looks like steering damper, I will contact BMW and see what they say.
    My only concern is the rear wheel bearings - the bike rides fine and the belt looks like its running true - is the play obvious when checking?
    Cheers

Steve
    If you get it on the centre stand or someow get the rear wheel off the ground You can grab the top and bottom from one side and pull the top while pushing the bottom and then reverse so sort of wobbling it. Any play should be obvious.
    Then spin the wheel and see if it makes any horrid noises. The belt or brake pads may make a noise so ignore those.

Re the steering damper. It un bolts easily with 2 bolts. check it moves in and out smoothly if it moves ok then it will be fine for the MOT but if its due replacement re recall then you may as well get it done.
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

Real Name
    John
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hi there SMH , looks like we are in the same boat as it were!
    Mistakenly sold my last bike 5+ years ago and recently started hankering for another bike, 3 weeks ago went over to Bradford on Avon to see a 6 year old F800GT, looked immaculate and modest mileage, completed the deal, checked everything worked, gave the tyres a press, they seemed pumped up, driving home to the other side of Bristol thought the handling was well odd, hard to control on bends, I've got a wrong un here I thought never driven a bike that handles like this, well the tyre pressure when I checked it with my gauge back home was 15 front 17 rear: oh dear, any way had new tyres fitted by AFB in Bridgewater which transformed the bike.
    The handle bar grips are very thin as you say, gave me cramp in my throttle hand after 20 minutes, have padded them out, feels much more comfortable.
    Wish you good riding on your new steed, I'm considering a back to biking course but it's late in the session now, keep safe out there, cheers John.

17. Likes smh liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Took the bike for MOT yesterday - happily I can report a pass. However I will need to do the fork seals at some time over the winter - probably do the bushes as well while the legs are off.
    I did change the fork oil - doing so found a good way of holding the cap down to remove the circlip. I have numerous screwdrivers kicking about, one such being the sort you get in a car toolkit - plastic handle, flat blade one end, phillips the other. I put a jack under the sump (sidestand only) to unload the front forks, tyre was still on the ground. I tapped the caps a few times to make sure they were free and with the screwdriver - slid a thick washer (8 - 10 mm) on the shaft then put the blade in the gap of the circlip and pushed down. The washer sat in the divot of the cap and the circlip they flick out (with a pointed pick) after a few attempts. I then used a magnet to remove the caps and a £19 Silverline oil suction pump to remove the oil... Simples!

Anyone recommend fork seals and bushes? If OE are the only way then fine, but if there are pattern bits that save a few pennies then Im all for that!

Cheers

Steve