BMW F800 Forum banner

Disable ABS on F700GS, 2015

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rcb78 
#1 ·
On the 2015 700GS I was perhaps incorrectly under the impression that I could press the ABS button while moving and my ABS light would come on indicated that the ABS no longer activated,,.
My 800GS buddy was playing with the settings and now when I follow that same procedure I get the (ASC warning triangle) only when following the same procedure,,.

Now I'm being told that you need to stop the bike, press and hold the ABS button and first the (ASC warning triangle) lights and eventually the (ABS light) comes on, need to stop again to activate both systems or turn the key off and back on,.

Thought I read in a review of the bike where they were under a similar impression to mine, which was the ABS button could be activated and deactivated while riding,. Is there someone with a 700 that can verify either or,,. I was thinking that perhaps the 800 might be set up differently?

#3 ·
Hi, Guenther.
I tried the in the manual described method for turning off ABS on my 2013 700GS, but no matter how long I hold the ABS button, ABS status (indicator light) does not change. Does it matter whether the engine is running or not? Any tips on what else to try? Thank you!

#5 ·
I tried every thinkable combination. I am now suspecting the ABS/ASC toggle switch. It looks like it should go both ways (up and down) from the neutral position, but the switch on my 2013 GS only toggles from neutral to "up", but not from neutral to down. Can you confirm the switch needs to toggle both ways from neutral? Thanks!

#6 ·
Update: Turns out the flexible, lacquer-sealed circuit board/belt thingy was kaput (see area above my thumb). I did what one is not supposed to do and took the switch apart. I am pretty handy with the soldering iron, but the micro electrickery in this switch was out of my league. Hair-sized conductors with hair-width spaces in between them. There was a recall at some point and, as it turns out, my bike had already been through that recall a while back. That also means that those switches like to go bad as they age. Anyway, I bought a new switch (only comes in complete assembly) for around $350(!). Installing it is simple (don't forget to plug in the grip heater) and the ABS/ASC switch works fine now.
Starting to feel my START button become sticky. That switch may be next. Good thing they are cheaper. Cheers.
Wood Finger Nail Thumb Office equipment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.