Anyone have problems with Electrosport voltage R/R? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Hours Ago
    I know there are 1000 threads about this and I've read many of them, but bear with me.

Last summer my OEM voltage regulator/rectifier went out, I had the instrument cluster shutdown condition and my low beam headlight lamp blew. That caused a good panic attack, but after calming down and reading through many similar threads on this forum, I determined it was the R/R and replaced it with the uprated Electrosport version. All was well until a few months ago, on cooler mornings I would see the gauge cluster flash off and on near the end of my commute to work (about half an hour, mostly at highway speed). No other issues besides my anxiety at making it to my destination. The bike keeps running fine even when this happens. Everything would be fine on the way home in warmer weather, and throughout the summer things were fine, again on warm days.

Now that the weather is consistently cold, I'm seeing this every day near the end of my rides (after the engine has been running at 4000+ rpm for 20+ minutes). When I see the gauge cluster flash off I flick on the high beam and grip heaters which consume some voltage and mitigates the problem somewhat, but I still occasionally have the cluster on/off flashes even with that, and sometimes when the cluster is off for more than a couple seconds the voltage spikes up to ~17+V on the voltmeter I installed when this issue started reoccurring. I have no other symptoms, no lights have blown out, all electronics seem to work fine otherwise.

I ran the recommended test procedure on the stator to R/R plugs with the engine off and on, the readings looked fine to me but I admit I'm not an expert on that, and did not write them down. I do recall the multimeter readings were even across the wires. I did replace my battery recently which may have made things slightly better but not consistently. Battery voltage is good, approx 12.5V with the key on (voltmeter is wired to the GPS plug so seems to read a touch low), 14.1-14.4V with the engine running, and about 12.8-13V when I shut the bike down. Voltmeter held steady this morning at 14.1V exactly with the high beam and heated grips on max. I can only assume my stator is working correctly but I haven't (yet) opened up the cover for that to see if it's starting to burn out.

Anyway, does anyone have ideas or recommendations here before I start throwing money at the problem? I'm extra confused that this happens more on cold days. I'm less than happy that the Electrosport R/R (which is now out of warranty) may be going out since that was supposed to fix this originally. Should I replace both that and the stator with more Electrosport parts? Should I attempt a mosfet R/R conversion? Do I just add this to my yearly maintenance list?

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Based on your comments, your stator appears to be fine. You also appear to have a really strong battery. The 17 volts would be the result of a faulty RR. I'd reach out to electrosport and explain your problem. They might help out even though you are past warranty.

I think I hold the record for most stator failures on this forum, but last time I replaced the stator, I swapped over to a Shindengen RR and to the newer rotor style. My system has been doing great for almost 2 years now. That's a record for me. It pretty much holds 14.1 volts all the time the engine is running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Claudio
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbr View Post
    I know there are 1000 threads about this and I've read many of them, but bear with me.
    Anyway, does anyone have ideas or recommendations here before I start throwing money at the problem? I'm extra confused that this happens more on cold days. I'm less than happy that the Electrosport R/R (which is now out of warranty) may be going out since that was supposed to fix this originally. Should I replace both that and the stator with more Electrosport parts? Should I attempt a mosfet R/R conversion? Do I just add this to my yearly maintenance list?

Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    Hey Andrew,

Cramer is correct. Your regulator is gone. I replaced the factory stator and R/R with electrosport on my wife's 2007 ST and it lasted about 3 years, 3 big trips before it started to show symptoms similar to yours. The regulator will start to spike after the bike has been running for a while and will act up more frequently at higher RPMs. Replace the regulator and you are good to go. I've had better luck with units from euromotoelectrics.com but all manufacturers seem to have a % of duds in their production line.
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Hours Ago
    That seems to be the logical conclusion, I just didn't want to accept it since I thought I had already fixed the problem.

Electrosport emailed me back and basically said the same thing, in fewer words.

Looks like a Shindengen series R/R conversion will be my next project, I'm going to order a kit from RoadsterCycle today and see if I can convince/bribe an EE friend to splice things together. Will post an update when complete.

2 Hours Ago
    Don't forget to check Motoroworks. They sell aftermarket RR's and i couldn't see them stocking them if they did not perform as required.

Link here
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

1 Day Ago
    Yes i've replaced 3 r/r [electrosport]. Motorworks sent one back and got my money back, think its a one year warranty. Electrosport said there was a fault but not what it was. I would recommend trying another brand, Mosffet ? or even the bmw. Oh i replaced the stator too. In my opinion electrosport r/r not fit for purpose. On the plus side i'm quite good at changig r/r now.

4 Hours Ago
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the US so Motorworks is less convenient for me but that's good to know as an option.

Real Name
    Laurent
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbr View Post
    I'm going to order a kit from RoadsterCycle today and see if I can convince/bribe an EE friend to splice things together.
    The price at roadstercycle is quite high. If you can, have a look at classfieds or the Bay and look for a recent used HD RR. You could find a bargain SH775 from a 2017-2020 750cc XG Street model like I did.

Real Name
    Andrew
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    RMStator.com builds quality mosfet rectifiers. Fair prices and shipping for North America. 2 year warranty.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

4 Hours Ago
    I finally got around to putting the new regulator on and posted a new thread in the modification sub-forum here:
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...39#post2867139