Texas hill country F800ST rider - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    I have been poking around here on this forum for a bit now but I never introduced myself. Growing up I was not allowed into a dirt bike. I dreamed of this but I never happened. My old man had a police model Moto Guzzi in 1987 and years later he bought a Yamaha TW when we lived in Colorado. He is a fly fisher and we would ride up into the mountains and find streams to fish. When I was 26 years old I finally got my first motorcycle via trade for some fall harvest while living in New Mexico. The bike was a Honda 650xr. It was a bit much for me so after aiming it around and thrusting the throttle for a few months I went and traded in on a Yamaha TW of my own. That is the bike I learned to ride on. When that one wasn’t enough for me I came across a nice lady at a car dealership where there was a Triumph sprint for sale. The owner of the dealership wouldn’t let me ride and he was a dick all at the same time. So this lady that was a sales person there flagged me down and said “you don’t want that bike man, I have a BMW for sale here’s my number give me a call and you can come look at it” this was a 2005 BMW F650gs looked brand new. Bmw trunk and wunderliche tank bag+ full BMW riding suit was all in the package. Her girlfriend broke her back so they couldn’t ride together anymore and she promised her love she would sell the bike. She was opened to trade for some of the crop that fall along with $3000 I rode away on a sweet machine. I loved that motorcycle and that was the bike I rode onto the parking lot of MMI Phoenix on. At a dark point in my life where I lost passion in all that I knew, I was saved by motorcycles. I spent two years at the motorcycle mechanics institute in Phoenix and found work from there as a tech in Salt Lake City UT. The shop was called Motorcycle R&R and services BMW mainly. They where kind to me and I learned some there. At that time in my life I was riding a BMW K75 1995 it had 95,000ml on it. No those miles where not all mine. I loved that bike too. It was bullet proof. I found an r1100rt that had been “flipped” and broken off the nub that the front fairing volts onto. Frame damage so it was salvaged title after I fixed it. That was a sweet bike too. I found myself stuck in the west coast with not much money and a truck that I couldn’t afford to fix or drive to Florida where my 1 year old and newly wed wife waited for me. I found an r1150rtp at a dealership. 20,000ml and was used to teach cops how to crash. The guy traded me straight across for my pick up and I was on two wheels that rolled nicely. I stripped the bike of what was not needed radio box,crash bars, aux batt, and much much more. Then I was hundreds of pounds lighter, and could have a rider. I rode that bike from Cali to Florida and built a life for my family. At some point my wife and I started thinking about moving to Ecuador to raise our child. I needed to go on a wheels on the ground mission to explore the place. So I found a company in Quito Ecuador called freedom bike rentals. They set me up with a nice R1150GS for a few days and I rode back and forth the small country. It was safe and so we sold that RTP and our Mini and furniture and moved to Ecuador. We only stayed a couple years. I never got to ride while we where there and we got homesick. After returning to the states I wasn’t able to get back on two wheels for years. Well until this year! I found this F800ST 2010 with 50,000ml and so far she has been running like a champ. I did need to replace the charging system. I put a set of pilot road 4’s on her and I commute to work with her every day and every night. It is so much like my f650gs. But definitely not a gs. I love motorcycles and have a strong affection for BMW bikes in particular. I love music and animals. I like to do whatever work I can myself on my bikes. I would love to find myself wrenching on motorcycles for a living again one day. For now I am into some other things.
    I am happy to be here you all seem funny and intelligent.

2. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
    Likes Richard230 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome to the "F"orum Dom Mecca
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    Welcome, Dom.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome from Puget Sound!

That's a great introduction. Perhaps when you get time, you could add your location to your profile.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Welcome, Dom, from the coast of Kansas.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

5 Hours Ago
    Welcome to the group and good to see you are riding again. "Wheels on the ground", brilliant excuse to go on motorcycle trip. I'll have to remember that one.

Real Name
    Randy
    20 Hours Ago
    Welcome Dom, from Friendswood, TX. I too have a 2010 ST and love it. The Hill Country is a bitchin place to ride. I put myself through engineering school wrenching bikes many years ago. Good Luck
    Randy
    2010 F800ST 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    1 Day Ago
    thanks for sharing your great story Dom -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S