G'day - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Scott
    5 Days Ago
    Three years ago I bought a 2007 F800ST.

Not long after I had ridden it home I had an accident on a different bike. I was in hospital for six months.

Rehab has taken a while but I'm finally ready to get back on a bike.

So the ST is being registered tomorrow after sitting in one spot, patiently waiting for me, for two and a half years.

It's my 2nd BMW - I had a 2014 S1000R from new until it was stolen in 2016, during which time I managed to put 54K on it. The ST is less hooligan and more gentleman and I tell myself that this is right and good, for I am perhaps finally growing up, especially in the wake of my accident which gave me plenty of time to contemplate the way I had been riding. To some extent it was a matter of when and not if I would break myself. In that sense I was one step ahead of myself when I chose the ST and lucky that it wasn't the steed that had to be sacrificed to teach me my lesson (that was a mere Honda CBR...)

Anyways, I have questions about dodgy mirrors that won't stay still no matter how tight I tighten them, and whether it's worth paying 25% of what I paid for the bike for a set of the hard panniers that didn't come with it...

Thanks in advance for the warm welcome.

Ingoes (Scott)

P.S. I reside in Gippsland, Victoria, Australia and I'm a high school English teacher. Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Hola, Hope the bike runs well once woken from it's slumber. Good that you're ready for 2 wheels again.

4. Likes Ingoes liked this post

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Scott, welcome from the coast of Kansas, USA.

Can't offer any advice on the mirrors, mine have never wobbled or moved. But on the panniers: unless you tour quite a bit on the bike, don't buy hard panniers. Get a soft, smallish duffle and bungee across the rear seat. Or some other similar way to haul small stuff on the bike. I have the OEM sport panniers for my ST but seldom use them. I think the bike looks, and handles, much better in its skinny form.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

6. Likes Ingoes liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    4 Hours Ago
    Welcome, Scott. I am glad to hear that you are back riding again. The mirrors on my 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet were also floppy, so i just sprung for a new old stock pair that I installed yesterday which are less dodgy. But I guess that won't help you much. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

9. Likes Ingoes liked this post

Real Name
    bever
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    g`day scotty, have fun mate (((-;

11. Likes Ingoes liked this post